Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kaelin Helbling
United States
Doraville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have a few friends that live across the country from me. We have been trying to figure out how to get some long distance games going. Not just computer games, but setting up board games and playing via video chat (or perhaps by email?). Have any of you done this? If so, what games do you find work? I am thinking of trying Memoir '44, but would love some input.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Arkham Horror, World of Warcraft Adventure Game, and both versions of Descent over Skype.

It helps if both ends have a copy of the game, but we play Descent 1e with copies of the cards I laminated and sent to my friend (he plays the heroes with me...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Zombicide via Google+ Hangouts which worked surprisingly well given the low-bandwidth internet connection I'm on.

From having done that I'd say there are definitely certain types of games that will and will not work well.

Anything competitive involving dice and/or cards is likely to prove problematic, because all opponents need to be able to verify the moves of all other players and that they did not cheat.

But co-ops work really well. And any competitive game in which all moves can be easily validated (like chess, to give an obvious example) should also work well.

One can also use 'virtual tabletops' to mitigate some of the failings of long-distance gaming, and some such 'virtual tabletops' even provide support for cards and dice rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalistoga wrote:
So I have a few friends that live across the country from me. We have been trying to figure out how to get some long distance games going. Not just computer games, but setting up board games and playing via video chat (or perhaps by email?). Have any of you done this? If so, what games do you find work? I am thinking of trying Memoir '44, but would love some input.

Thanks!

Vassal has a Memoir '44 module.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Memoir_%2744
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few board games over skype. It actually worked ok, although some people may not have the patience. Basically, you need to choose a game without hidden information such as private hands of cards, etc. Co-ops and abstracts tend to fulfill these requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vassal paired with Skype works very well and I use it regularly.

The Vassal graphics look identical to the board game components, so I never lose touch with the feeling I'm playing a board game. I highly recommend it. I use it for multi-player as well as 2-player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to consider sites for asynchronous boardgame playing:

Yucata
Super Duper Games
SpielByWeb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
Carcassonne would work pretty will, just have one person be the "host" who draws the tiles and places them at the direction of the long distance person.

Any game without secret information, cards, etc. will work.

Hive is another one, but 2 person only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaelin Helbling
United States
Doraville
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are great guys, thanks! Always open to additional creative suggestions of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play a number of games in real time on boardgamearena.com

Check out their games list and see if there's anything you know. I have also learnt a few new games from there by reading the rules/watching a video and then asking someone to play a learning game with me. If you specify it's a learning game people are often willing to offer tips, answer questions etc. You can set up games that just your friends can join too. And it's free.

I much prefer it to playing on the asynch boardgame sites like yucata.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.