12 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: 4 player gropup... what to buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
So i read i need 2 copies of core.... how many copies of the individual fighters should I get for a 4 player team?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 cores should do 4 people well until wave 2 comes with the large ships. Then you could have large + 2 rebels vs large + 4 tie's (spaces new players)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
so you are saying to get no copies of the other fighters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Tony Melton
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Download one of the squad builder spreadsheets and play around with different squad layouts. Talk to your group and see what they want to play.

I have enough for two 100 point teams for each side, but I'm about $300 deep into the game (retail prices, at least). You could go that deep if you want, or you could go 50 points per player for significantly less.

But I'd definitely aim for one of each expansion to start with so you can sample all the ships, pilots, and upgrades. Once you know what you like, you can go from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
yeah, I was thinking 2 of everything...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rev. Tony Melton
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a great place to start, if you can afford it!

Hope you guys enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TonyM wrote:
Download one of the squad builder spreadsheets and play around with different squad layouts. Talk to your group and see what they want to play.

I have enough for two 100 point teams for each side, but I'm about $300 deep into the game (retail prices, at least). You could go that deep if you want, or you could go 50 points per player for significantly less.

But I'd definitely aim for one of each expansion to start with so you can sample all the ships, pilots, and upgrades. Once you know what you like, you can go from there.

If you really just wanted decked-out pilots at 100 points per person, you could get it now for $230 retail. But I think he should wait upon his purchases until the large 70pt ships come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Drew
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure where you guys are buying your stuff at these silly prices, with the power of the INET never pay retail. I got 2x Core sets, 2x Y-Wing and 2x Tie Advanced for $92 total at www.coolstuffinc.com. This gives me plenty of ships to play a high point 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We started with 2x core and 2x expansions for each side, plenty big enough and variety for 4 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pontier
United States
Oak Forest
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me put some numbers to this.

Everyone agrees you need two core sets. Right now on Amazon they are $30. I have Amazon Prime, but I imagine they are available for free shipping if you are willing to wait five days. That is $60.

That will let you build some nice 60 point matches, but you have no Wedge, Vader, Howlrunner, or Backstabber, who are in my opinion the 4 best pilots in the game. You also have no Y-wing. So let’s agree that you need at least 1 of each expansion. Right now (12/2/12), each expansion is on Amazon for $8 which is an unbelievable steal. That puts you back another $32. Now you are at a total of $92.

With those ships you will have 3 X-wings, 1 Y-wing, 1 Tie Advance, and 5 TIE fighters? Is that enough for two good 100 point battles? Absolutely. If you check out the thread about the world championship finals match, the Imps put out Vader and 5 other TIEs while the Rebels had 3 X-wings and 1 Y-wing. Also, there would be an even number of ships per side, so if you wanted to have four players, they could each run the same number of ships (though the Imp player who has Vader has a lot more points to play with. There have also been some good 3-ship Rebel builds which you could do. And once you start playing with the named TIEs, you will find that Vader and 4 other TIEs also makes a powerful build.

People above said they spent $300 or $230. The cost of what I listed above at retail is: 2 core sets ($80) and 4 expansions ($60) is $140. Obviously online is much cheaper, but if you want to support your local store, I understand.

So, is that all you need? Well, you can’t have a 4-Xwing build, and you can’t field a 6+ TIE Swarm. The 8 TIE swarm isn’t getting a lot of love, but if you want to try it, normally I would recommend another base set and the TIE expansion, but since you can buy three fighters on Amazon for $24 right now, that is cheaper than a base set unless you want more dice and extra asteroids.

The X-wing expansion has a generic R5 Astromech and the Y-wing expansion has a generic R2 astromech. They are very popular in builds because they only cost one, and you can use them more than once. In a friendly game with your friends, you can use a place holder if you only have one copy of the card, but I imagine in a tournament you would need to have an extra copy of the card. For that reason I am buying my 4th X-wing and 2nd Y-wing with this Amazon sale. Two Y-wing builds will also be fun to play with as the Ion cannon is powerful.

Also, before you load up on TIE fighters to try out swarms, remember that the Interceptors are coming out in February, and I read somewhere that they will be starting at a build cost of 19, and I think they will be invaluable to the Imps, so for now I might buy one more TIE to have six, but I wouldn’t go overboard.

I hope this was helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leftnut wrote:
Not sure where you guys are buying your stuff at these silly prices, with the power of the INET never pay retail. I got 2x Core sets, 2x Y-Wing and 2x Tie Advanced for $92 total at www.coolstuffinc.com. This gives me plenty of ships to play a high point 4 player game.

Worst case scenario, he has to have it all RIGHT NAOW! and goes to his FLGS. I bought mine at my FLGS, and I'm sure others do too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
I bought

2x Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
1x Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Interceptor Expansion Pack
1x Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – TIE Fighter Expansion Pack
1xStar Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Y-Wing Expansion Pack
1xStar Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – X-Wing Expansion Pack

I was really tempted to get a 2nd Tie and a 2nd X-Wing, but just before i clicked the buy button I thought.. well more stuff is coming... what I am really buying for long term is pilot... not miniatures. It is so tempting to buy more of the same product and have a cool squadron link in Star wars with a interceptor squad leader and a full x-win squadron with out the out of place y-wing. Still down the line after more ships come out.. this might not be teh problem. As you will have more ships than you can field and pilots will be teh main way to customize the army...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.