9 Posts

Königswahl» Forums » General

Subject: Any progress on English translation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a fascinating game but I notice the thread on English trnaslation fizzled out a year ago. Any plans on completing this project? Or even some sort of editable files for the remaining items, perhaps a fan could finish the translation work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been super busy with work and other projects. One thing that would be super helpful is if someone wanted to take the time to do the rulebook translation (just the text) so that it would be available when I get back to working on the project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to help, but I'm limited to trying to clarify whatever Google Translate spits out, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can provide all original files to whomever is willing to translate all the text. I myself have to admit that with 3 kids and a fulltime job I have not a lot of time left for working on my game designs. And I rather work on something new than to translate an old design into mediocre English. Currently I am working on a story-driven adventure game that can be played without a game master...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lars Vogt wrote:
mediocre English

Ow! You wound me, sir! Though on second thought, that's probably a rather generous description of the language. It is the mutt of languages for sure.

If you'd like, I'm willing to take a stab at it. I'm finishing up my Christmas PnPs and don't have another project lined up to work on. As I said, I don't 'sprechen zie Deutsch' but I'm decent with my English and can usually figure out context, even from a computer translation. If you're ok with it, geekmail me with download directions or for an email address. I can start a new translation thread for help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lars Vogt wrote:
mediocre English

Just to make it clear: I was referring to my English skills...

Do you need any specific original files? PDFs are available through BGG; the German rules are here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35883/german-rules-to-koen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a start
This is what Jester already translated from the rules so far:

Introduction
It is the dark Middle Ages in the Holy Roman Empire, where a small clan attempts, over the course of several generations, to achieve the highest levels of power. The Holy Roman Empire arose from the formerly Carolingian East-Francia and was initially influenced by the Ottonians. Due to its pre- and supra-national character, it never did manage to develop into a national state. For the time it existed, the Holy Roman Empire represented a political body that was highly influenced by the Estates under its domain, torn between the Imperial interests and the interests of the Estates. The highest levels of power within the Holy Roman Empire, which was ruled by the German Emperor of the Middle Ages until the beginning of the 19th century, does not necessarily refer to the position of the Emperor. The relationship between the Emperor, the Elector Princes, and the Reichstag (i.e. the diet of the Empire) defines the actual power within the Empire. Princedoms and duchies operated as quasi-independent territories, working with their own countrymen, and viewed the Emperor only as the nominal, almost imaginary, leader of the Empire. However, they complied to the laws of the Empire, its jurisdiction, and the decisions and resolutions of the Reichstag. On the other hand, through the process of the election of the Emperor and through the Reichstag, they had significant influence on the politics of the Empire and thus provided the actual foundation of power for the Empire.

Game Overview
In Election of the King, each player takes the role of a medieval extended family (a dynasty), which is preparing to decide the election of the next Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, by growing their power and influence to advance within the social hierarchy of the Estates of the Empire. Starting as a bondman (i.e. an indentured peasant), each player strives for social advancement by means of skillful economic activity, trade, taxes, development of infrastructure, cultural and technological improvements, diplomacy and influence, politics, and ultimately military action. (The freedom to exert this influence is limited by the player’s rank in society.) Through the course of the game, there are both secular as well as church offices and positions to be sought. Once the secular rank of Earl or the church rank of Abbot is achieved, if the player meets the required criteria she may apply for a High Office (i.e. a position at the court of the Emperor that includes the privilege to vote during the election of the king; in German: Kuramt or Hofamt). Each High Office corresponds to a voice in the Imperial election. A new Emperor will be elected when an old Emperor dies, and the player who can exert his influence to claim the Emperor’s election will be the winner.

Game Objective
Election of the King is a game for 2-4 players.
It can be played according to the basic and the expert rules. In both the basic and the expert game the player wins who commands more votes than any other player during the Election of the King, with a minimum of 4 votes in a 2-3 player game and 3 votes in a 4 player game. In the expert game, alternatively, the player wins who belongs to the victorious party in Epoch III after the second "Reformation!" Epoch Card is played.

Game Materials
• 53 hexagon tiles: 12 city tiles, 1 Aachen / Frankfurt tile, 12 mountain tiles (of which 6 have a river), 12 meadow tiles (of which 6 have a river), 12 forest tiles (of which 6 have a river), and 4 sea tiles.
• Money: silver coins and gold coins; each gold coin is worth 10 silver coins.
• 28 unrest markers: 16 hexagon and 12 half-hexagon
• 16 siege markers
• 1 ranks board + 2 large and 1 small orange wooden cubes
• 1 action board
• 1supply chart
• 1 armament chart
• 120 epoch cards: 33 Epoch I cards + 42 Epoch II cards + 45 Epoch III cards
• 5 epoch change cards: 2 Epoch I->Epoch II + 3 Epoch II->Epoch III
• 12 High Office cards
• 23 politics cards
• 172 influence cards: 62 Level I, 52 Level II, 58 Level III
• 48 technology cards: 16 Level I, 16 Level II, 16 Level III
• 36 basic luxury good cards
• 24 special luxury good cards
• 5 blue dice + 5 red dice: 1d4, 2d6, 1d8, and 1d10

Each player also needs the following game materials:
• 4 hexagonal tiles: farm, town, city, metropolis
• 9 large wooden cubes: used to mark progress on various tracks
• 22 small wooden cubes: serve as military units and workers on the main board and as workers on other boards
• 10 octagonal wooden markers
• 20 churches
• 20 administrative buildings
• 5 abbot markers
• 5 reeve markers
• 1 dynasty board
• 1 town center board
• 9 male + 9 female family markers
• 20 action cards
• 19 town center building markers: 6 Level I, 8 Level II, 5 Level III
• 14 game board cultivation markers: 5 Level I, 4 Level II, 5 Level III
• Reference Sheet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Vogt

Berlin
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I translated the following (I included only the German headings for referencing purposes):

General Game Material
SPIELPLAN- & REICHSSTADTFELDER
Map City Tiles
City tiles and the special city tile Aachen/Frankfurt, each with defense value, special trade demands and specific production.

BELAGERUNGSMARKER
Siege Marker

SPIELPLAN FELDER
Map Tiles
A number of mountain, meadow, forest and sea tiles, with and without river. The tower indicates the defense value of the map tile.

UNRUHEMARKER
Unrest Marker
Unrest markers and half unrest markers, indicating the changed defense value and the decrease in satisfaction (i.e. happiness)

RÄNGEPLAN
Ranks Board
The ranks board contains (i) the timeline with the tracks for epochs and years (representing the game’s turn track), (ii) scales for piety, education, satisfaction (i.e. happiness), and prestige, (iii) a flow chart with information regarding the different ranks (i.e. dues, duties, and prerequisites for rising one rank), (iv) table for vassal candidates, and (v) the play order chart.

EPOCHEN- UND JAHRESMARKER
Epoch Marker and Year Marker

VERSORGUNGSTABELLE
Supply Chart
The supply chart indicates the player’s current production level in wood and food. This level can be increased by “building” for instance farmers or loggers.

AKTIONSPLAN
Action Board
The action board provides an overview of the different types of actions (1-7) that a player can choose from in the Election of the King. In the beginning, all players start with the actions described in the bottom row boxes. If players meet the indicated conditions, they can improve the action status of a given type of action by playing the action (7) “Upgrade”.

AUFRÜSTUNGSTABELLE
Armament Chart
Table showing level of armament of each player

EPOCHENWECHSEL KARTEN
Epoch Change Cards
Epoch change cards are played in between epochs.

EPOCHENKARTEN
Epoch Cards
Front and back of epoch cards of the epochs I, II, and III.

LUXUSGÜTER
Luxury Goods
Front and back of basic and special luxury good cards.

POLITIK KARTEN
Politics Cards
Front and back of politic cards. Red cards represent secular, purple cards ecclesial politics cards.

HOFAMT KARTEN
High Office Cards
Front and back of High Office cards.

TECHNOLOGIE KARTEN
Technology Cards
Front and back of technology cards, levels I-III. Technology cards provide permanent improvements.

EINFLUSS KARTEN
Influence Cards
Front and back of influence cards, levels I-III. Influence cards can be used in various ways in The Election of the King. Besides what is directly written on each card, they can also be used for example for getting offspring, in politics and in diplomacy.

SPIELMATERIAL SPIELER
Player Game Material

ZENTRUMSFELDER
Town Center Tiles
Front and back of town center tiles. With increasing population, a player's town center changes from farm to town, city and metropolis.

HOLZMARKER
Wooden Markers
The small wooden cubes represent "units", which can be used as military units or workers. The large wooden cubes are used as indicators for the various game-specific values of a player, as for instance population size, rank or piety level. The octagonal wooden markers serve as indicators for a player's action status on the action board and the armament status on the armament chart. The wooden churches and administrative building markers indicate a player's control of a map tile. The abbot and reeve markers indicate a player's control of a whole province.

DYNASTIE PLAN
Dynasty Board
Dynasty board of the green player. The dynasty board contains (i) the population chart together with the units chart that is linked to it, (ii) a placeholder for an appointment gained through a politics card, and (iii) two boxes for managing a player's dynasty: the top box for the ruling first generation (i.e. Lordships) and the bottom box for the succeeding second generation, the Lordship's offspring.

ZENTRUMSPLAN
Town Center Board
Town center board of the yellow player. Depending on a player's population size and the area covered so far, the town center board contains housing spaces for the population and building areas for town center buildings. Housing space as well as building areas grow each time when the center changes from farm to town, to city and to metropolis.

MERKBLATT
Reference Sheet
Each player receives a reference sheet summarizing the most important rules.

NACHKOMMENMARKER
Family Markers
Front and back of both male and female family markers of the blue player. The individual advantages shown on the front can only be applied when married and in the "Lordships" box.

AKTIONSKARTEN
Action Cards
Front and back of action cards of the red player. Each action card with its specific number (0-7) corresponds with one action on the action board (except for action number 0). Several actions are planned in advance and played face-down in a row.

ZENTRUMSGEBÄUDE
Town Center Building Markers
Front and back of a level I town center building marker of the blue player. There are markers for levels I-III. Most buildings require the placement of 1-2 workers for using their effects.

SPIELPLAN BEBAUUNG
Game Board Cultivation Markers
Front and back of a level II game board cultivation marker of the red player. There are markers for levels I-III. Most cultivation markers require the placement of 1-2 workers for using their effects. Each cultivation marker can only be built on a certain type of map tile (the one depicted here, e.g., can only be built on a mountain map tile with a river).

WICHTIGE SYMBOLE
Important Symbols

Verlust (rot) oder Anstieg (weiß) der
Decrease (red) or Increase (white) of

FRÖMMIGKEIT
Piety

BILDUNG
Education

ZUFRIEDENHEIT
Satisfaction/happiness

ANSEHEN
Prestige

BEVÖLKERUNG/ANZIEHUNGSKRAFT
Population/Attraction

FRONDIENST
Corvee

HOFDIENST/SEELSORGE
Court Services/Counseling

HOFAMT
High Office

VERHEIRATETES PAAR
Married Couple

GENERATIONSWECHSEL
Generation Change

KAISER TOD
Emperor Dies

FELDKONTROLLE
Map Tile Control
A player controls a map tile as soon as he builds an administrative building or a church on it.

VERTEIDIGUNGSWERT
Defense Value

KAMPFBONUS
Combat Bonus

DIPLOMATIE-BONUS
Diplomacy Bonus

NACHKOMMEN (weiblich, männlich oder beides)
Offspring (female, male, or both)

EINFLUSSWERT
Influence Value

SILBER
Silver

GOLD
Gold

HANDELSABKOMMEN
Trade Agreement/Relation

HANDEL MIT HANDELSPARTNER
Trade with Trading Partner

KONZESSION (MÜHLE, WEIN)
Concession/License (for mill of wine)

ALKOHOL
Alcohol

STUFE I ZENTRUMSGEB. oder SPIELPLANBEB.
Level I Town Center Building Marker or Game Board Cultivation Marker

STUFE II ZENTRUMSGEB. oder SPIELPLANBEB.
Level II Town Center Building Marker or Game Board Cultivation Marker

STUFE III ZENTRUMSGEB. oder SPIELPLANBEB.
Level III Town Center Building Marker or Game Board Cultivation Marker

ZUR NUTZUNG BENÖTIGT BAU 1 EINHEIT
For using the effects of this building place 1 worker.

WIESENFELD
Meadow Tile

WALDFELD
Forest Tile

BERGFELD
Mountain Tile

BERGFELD MIT FLUSS
Mountain Tile with a River

FLUSSFELD (Wiese, Wald oder Berg)
River Tile (meadow, forest or mountain)

FELD BENACHBART (Berührung) ZUM MEER
Map Tile in direct neighborhood (adjacent) to a Sea Tile

NAHRUNG
Food

HOLZ
Wood

STEIN
Stone

EINFACHES LUXUSGUT
Basic Luxury Good

LUXUSGUT
Special Luxury Good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d g
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lars, I'm impressed with the quick turn on this stuff, thanks so much! I had planned on helping to polish this up but life got suddently crazy. I noticed some spots on the cards that are not clear. One example was card called Famishment; think Starvation or Hunger would be more commonly understood.

I will be out of pocket for a couple months but once I get back I hope to review these files and offer some suggestions on verbiage. Sorry it's going to take more time than I'd planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.