United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please list any recent wargames (stand-alone games or scenarios) you have COMPLETED since your post in the previous thread. And please continue to add more wargames as you complete them.

Get those games from Santa Grogs played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
My son (11) beat me at Manoeuvre last night, the first time he's done that with no help from me at all. It was nice seeing him learning from previous games, and actually acting on a plan rather than pushing counters around randomly.

Technically not finished, but I'm on the last turn of a PBEM Vassal game of A Victory Lost against my brother. Soviets up by 1 VP going into the final turn - gotta love the balance in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished a solo Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles (scenario 1) yesterday to learn the rules. Interesting feel compared to other squad level games I have tried. I at least learned not to enter melee with suppressed units

Also finished my first ever game of Commands & Colors: Ancients. After reading the rules I thought I would not be that impressed, but it was actually a really fun game. I'm also going to try and get my wife to have a go at this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Wilkershank
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished my first game of Washington's Crossing using the shorter Princeton scenario that's available on Revolution Games' web site.

The components and map look amazing.

The rules are nice and not too difficult to understand. The most difficult part so far has been learning the strategy for the game. The small number of counters makes it hard for me to figure out what to do. For the first play I was trying to do too much and ran into trouble with activation points and fatigue.

I'm hoping to setup the Quick Start Game scenario next which is longer than the Princeton scenario but shorter than the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pursuit of Glory- 4th test of the Turn 5 Parvus variant. Another easy CP win- Turn 3 Bulgaria and Allies (Ken Anderson) didn't draw the Limited War Russian Reinforcements until turn 6.

Happens to be my 75th game of Pursuit of Glory with the 1914 start. CPs are leading by 41 games to 34, or roughly 55% to 45%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completed at BGGcon-

Here I Stand- played as the Ottomans. Got off to a good start but the Hapsburg player was intent on containing me. Game went 5 turns and ended in a Hapsburg military victory. This was my first real play of the game. I ended up in last place of a 6 player game. Loved the game though and eager to play again.

Virgin Queen- played as the English in 6 player game. Spent most of the game forming coalitions against the various powers who were close to winning. Pirated and circumnavigated. Subdued and held Scotland, retook Ireland from the Spanish. Game went 7 turns and ended in a HRE victory. His choosing the Protestants in the religious war put him over the top. I came in second place with 24 VP, 1 away from an auto VP win. I still would have lost to the HRE, even I had I triggered the auto win.

The Napoleonic Wars- played the Austrians in a 5 player game. With Russia's help bled the French repeatedly in battles and fended off being forced to surrender. At the same time I wore down my own army. Turn 2 Prussia surprised everyone by declaring for the Imperial Camp and France swayed Turkey to join it's cause, causing England to capitulate and forcing the game to a premature end. It was weird the way things played out. Spain was going to go down, thus France effectively trading Spain for Turkey. Prussia was being opportunistic, and may have changed camps again at years end. We all decided that this game is better played with 4 or 2.

Ongoing, non-BGGcon, Vassal

The Battle for Normandy- This is an ongoing game being played via Vassal. We have been playing for nearly a year (Feb 2012). We are on July 16. From a VP standpoint the Germans (Me) are winning, but the Allies have worn me down and I'm giving ground rapidly south of Caen. This is a tremendous game and a must have/play for anyone who is a fan of the Normandy Campaign.

Pax Romana- 3 player game being played via Vassal. I am playing the Greeks and as typically happens in this game I have a substantial early lead. We are on turn 3 or 4 I forget which. Carthage is the non-player power. Rome has focused on taking Sicily, Sardinia and Corsica from Carthage. East and Greece have fought some epic battles in Turkey and Syria. This is a very under rated game in my opinion. Looking forward to Berg's new game using similar system in ancient Persia.

Thunder at the Crossroads (second edition)- playing via Vassal as the Confederates. We are into the late afternoon of the 1st day (3pm?). Reynolds is still alive and ordered 11 Corps to defend at the stream that runs along the north edge of Gettysburg town proper. Buford's cav and 1st Corps took a beating and gradually withdrew to 11 Corps left flank. Heth's division became wrecked and rolled corp attack stoppage. Pender however continued to fight his way to Gettysburg. 2nd Corps blooded 11th Corps and as is typical with that formation, they ran away. Next turn Gettysburg town should be taken, forcing the Federals to deploy on Cemetery Ridge. Can Lee get orders to Ewell in time to continue the push south before the Union 12 Corps arrives in force?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished up a Combat Commander: Mediterranean RSG scenario of Brits vs. Italians (1940). Very tense game, as is usual with this title. AAR coming soon. Every play of CC causes me to swear well above my normal quota, but damn it's a great game. See, there I go again...

AAR: Mussolini's Finest Thwarted

Edit: Added link for AAR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Goshawk wrote:
Just finished up a Combat Commander: Mediterranean RSG scenario of Brits vs. Italians (1940). Very tense game, as is usual with this title. AAR coming soon. Every play of CC causes me to swear well above my normal quota, but damn it's a great game. See, there I go again...

Italians huh? Had to be Tom ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got around to playing something from the Flying Colors family. We played the Flamborough Head scenario from Serpents of the Seas. This is a small scenario with small ships. It reminded me of Federation Commander in the Age of Sail. It will be interesting to see how the larger scenarios, and duels play. I'm looking forward to Blue Cross, White Ensign even more now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War at Sea, the L2 edition. I enjoyed it, my opponent thought it was meh. I like ships and was looking for something simpler than the AVP SWWAS / GWAS series.

We played GMT Blackbeard last weekend (I know, technically not December) and I think this is a very fun game, much under rated. I very much look forward to playing it again especially with 3 or 4 players.

the next two games are owned by my gaming friend and he very much wanted to try these out, so yesterday (1 Dec) we did. He's an airplane enthuiast, me not so much.

Bomber Command: the research for this one is good and I found it educational as I know little about the WWII air campaign. As a two player game though I'm not very enthusiastic. I played the Brits and once you have plotted your bomber raids you serve as a sort of human AI for the German player to beat on the rest of the game. This one definitely appears to be a better solitaire game. Physical components are very nice and I think it's an interesting situation but maybe more involvement for the Brit player - beyond just playing cards - would make it a better 2 player.

Night Fighter: a little more fun but again not one I'd ask to play on a regular basis. We both felt it might be more fun with multiple defenders (the night fighters). Still, well designed, educational, and very nice components.

Supposedly there's a coming module to link these two games and I can see this as a regular at Consimworld Con or other conventions for the Down in Flames types who love this kind of topic.

I'm willing to play either again and I am glad we did get these two on the table as I was curious about them. After all, if you don't try something new once in a while you may miss out on somehting really cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished an unusual Pursuit of Glory game with Tom Slizewski. I was allies and once again was lured away from Tom's tactic (Send the Invasion troops to Mesopotamia) into an attack on Gallipoli. I chose the 2 northernmost beac-heads, quickly overwhelmed the meagre coastal defences and was soon in Maidos. Then things started to stall- the Turks held Kum Kale and Gallipoli and even Maude failed to get me past Kum Kale.

Meanwhile the Russians had broken through at Trabzon and were pushing West along the Black sea coast. By the end of turn 6 they had reached Karabuk- and the Turks had sidestepped into Cankiri, leaving empty space before the Russians. Unfortunately Turn 3 Parvus meant the Russians wouldn't be around for long.

I drew Kitchener's Invasion for turn 7. Driving the Russians to Isparta and Manisa, I cut off the Turks in Smyrna, allowing Kitchener's troops to take the port, at the price of some Jihad increases. The Turks pulled back from Gallipoli to cope with the new threat. But soon they stablised things-Bulair and Kum Kale were the chokepoints in Gallipoli, the Smyrna situation was slightly more fluid.

After that the Allied position collapsed almost entirely, everywhere except Anatolia. In the final indignity the Turks were able to liberate Basra and take Abadan, bringing VPs to 21...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in 4 games of Space Empires: 4X. I taught 2 buddies how to play it (in two 2-player games). Then played a second game with both of them on vassal to teach them that system.

I've got one more guy to teach F2F, and then on vassal, and we'll have our teams trained up. We've got a 2v2 game planned for soon.

Really loving the game. After 4 games I haven't had to look much up in the rules at this point. Most things really click. There's a lot of decision points to be made, but without complex rules to do so.

We're just doing the basic game right now. We'll graduate to the advanced game once we've played once with the basic. We've already seen, though, the basic game has some flaws that will fixed by adding in raiders, carriers, and mines. Right now, at least from what we've seen, it's pretty much just build bigger ships = win more better. That'll change once bigger ships can get minehosed or fighterswarmed, but mines and fighters can get sweepslapped and point...defense..in the face. Making up words is hard.

This isn't a completed wargame, but I've just about completed my Combat Commander collection. I've talked with a buddy and we may start a blog where we play every single Combat Commander scenario start to finish and post AARs. I'm sure new scenarios will come out faster than we can finish them (and I don't even have the magazine ones, and never will).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb

1 play - Really more of a political victory than a military victory because I broke the German's will and they sued for peace.

6 Missions. Finally got around to trying B-17, and I've really been enjoying it. You really have little control over the game, but there's a lot of tension as you try to get your crew home safely. So far everyone is alive and I'm on my original crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Do what yhou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - Aleister Crowley
badge
"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - John Galt
mbmbmbmbmb
Just completed Case Yellow, 1940: The German Blitzkrieg in the West this afternoon. It was my second game, but first playing the Germans. Let me say that it takes a great deal of skill to lose a France '40 game as the Germans. I, Comrade Sarayev, posses such skill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell/Karen Morse
United States
WOONSOCKET
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
November was a good month.
Case Yellow, 1940: The German Blitzkrieg in the West x2
Andean Abyss
Carthage: The First Punic War
Flying Colors
Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291
Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?
Space Empires: 4X
Twilight Struggle
Washington's War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished a game of the Choisin Reservoir scenario from Korea: The Forgotten War.

It is a small scenario and was a bit of a bust: my US artillery and planes could not miss.

The CCF's attacks couldn't get a defender option (Do1) to save their lives.

We are having another crack at it - and this time two Marine regiments are already in the dead pile and the pressure is on as my Americans fall back on the bridge at Koto-ri.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
mbmbmbmbmb

Played the first scenario with my son. I think we played it a bit wrong but lets face it, Nazi's versus Mutants is hard to mess up for a ten year old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations - I ran a very small campaign to get familiar with the system.

For Honor and Glory: War of 1812 Land and Naval Battles - Barteus and I finished our Queenston Heights scenario on VASSAL.

Totensonntag - Barteus and I finished our game on VASSAL.

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles - I played a solitaire game of the 5th scenario ("If this is war...").

Spearpoint 1943 - I played a solitaire game of this to get familiar with it.

The Hell of Stalingrad - I played face to face with Barteus during a trip back home.

2 de Mayo - I played face to face with Barteus during a trip back home.

Anzio - I played the basic game solitaire.

Wow...I was busy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MOYON
France
Thorigné-Fouillard
BZH
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Very good game, IMHO the best from Miranda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asia Engulfed- I played this one for the first time. I played the Allies. This is a LONG game.The Japanese surrendered in Mid '43 ( 11 hours later) after the sinking of their best carrier. The pivotal battle was in the ocean around Wake. The Japanese intercepted the US fleet but the US air units turned into Aces and got 9 hits over two turns sending the Japanese CBA to the ocean depths and leaving the Japanese carrrier decks empty.

We did make some small rule mistakes and had to do some rules checking but I have no idea how anyone can finish a full game in 8 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First scenario of Valor & Victory. PNP game that is much lighter than ASL, still cogitating on what I think of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
Over the last few weeks I've managed to play the following games, with my wife (Laurel) and various friends:

Amateurs to Arms! - A friend and I played this for the second time about a month ago and really enjoyed it. We didn't finish the game, but we played all of 1812 and some of 1813 before we had to pack the game up. Before our first play, I don't think either of us expected much out of it, but it has proved to be a very compelling game that we both agree gets the feel of the war right. One minor gripe is that the rulebook is missing a good chunk of the rules, which are instead liberally scattered across the map, and the various charts and displays, etc. In my opinion any rulebook should contain all of the rules. That's what it's there for.

Crown of Roses - This was our second play of Crown of Roses and another 4-player game of it. I really like the game and the various game mechanics (except for Planned Uprisings, which are just weird), but I'm not sure that, other than the names of the nobles, this has much resemblance to the Wars of the Roses. It won't stop me playing it again though, as it's a lot of fun.

Wellington - I hadn't played this one in a good while, so dragged it out at our last wargames gathering on the 18th November. The game ended within the first Turn with a crushing French victory. Still a good game, especially if you don't have a lot of time available.

No Retreat! The Russian Front - A friend and I played this one last Friday and really enjoyed it. For an Eastern Front game it plays like lightning and from my perspective that's all to the good. I'm sure this one will get a fair bit of play over the next few months.

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan - Laurel and I played this one for the first time on Saturday (1st December) as part of our wargames weekend. We both really enjoyed it. It's quick and relatively straightforward, but with a lot of depth and hard decisions.

1989: Dawn of Freedom - I know 1989 isn't really a wargame, but I'm going to throw it in anyway, mainly because it's so good. This one was another game that Laurel and I played as part of our wargames weekend and it's definitely a keeper.

Next are a couple of games that are currently on the go:

Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 - I'm currently playing this on Vassal with a friend. We're on the last Turn of the 1st Crusade scenario and are very much enjoying the game. The siege rules are particularly good and we've had a lot of fun crushing each other in various battles.

Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War - Laurel and I started playing Hellenes on Sunday as part of our wargames weekend. For various reasons it took us an age to get the game set up and started, so we left it set up and continued playing last night. We're enjoying the game so far, but both of us wish that the rulebook was more 'user-friendly'. The amount of additional text (in blue and red) in the living rules should have been a giveaway and the result is that everything is taking a lot longer than it really should do (as we comb the rulebook) for what is a fairly straightforward game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished scenario 1 of Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42.

I'm only using the elementary rules as I am going through the programmed instruction.

It felt a bit strange and slightly clunky. I just read the next section of rules about shared command and it looks like this will make it much more realistic. So next time it will be with these rules included.

The components of this game are really great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Cierpicki
Malta
Gharb
Gozo
flag msg tools
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges . . .
badge
Hey, stop tickling me with your cursor!
mbmbmbmbmb

First game of this - Union player was hampered by the weather (it rained for the first six turns) and my cavalry screens slowed him down some more. He did, however, eliminate a large Rebel army by blocking its lines of retreat. This was not enough to prevent a Confederate victory. Another game is scheduled the week after next . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Played scenario 5 and a full game of Carrier. As usual a very interesting game. Lost both of my carriers by turn 7 while executing only one Air Strike. So an overwhelming victory by the Japanese, although I denied them to supply Guadalcanal and bombard Henderson Field. Alas there are no Victory Points for a strategic victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.