Popular Tags: [View All]
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To Adam,

Thank you for all your help over the series of threads that people have started. Your input on questions and helping us to understand your game has been excellent.

If you don't mind, I am starting a thread to ask a few questions and then maybe a few others can jump on.

1) I notice with survivor we get two phoenix and two watchers. Will there extra rules to allow for fighting multiple boss monsters to be able to use these extra minis?
I'm thinking in line of what a lot of people have already mentioned - monster hunter. Allow for extra hard levels where you have to fight multiple boss monsters.

2) In the same vein, would there be options to have different species of monsters. So once again we get to really enjoy the multiple models.

3) Will we be able to make traps and other such items to take into battle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacred Roach

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not Adam, but I am a backer and have delved into as much of this game as is currently available.

I know from a few messages on Kickstarter that the monsters are supposed to be insane...so more than one at a time would be very, very difficult. That said, once the survivors hit the Phoenix armor levels, they should be quite capable...and that is likely what the expansions are geared for.

I can defintely answer #2: Lots of different species. Initial load out for the game is The Antelope, The Lion, and The Phoenix, and then the "human" adversaries: The Butcher, the King's Hand, the King's Guard, and The Watcher.

Add the Flower Knight and the Dragon King, and we have a variety. And still over 5 weeks to go.

And as for your final question...I hope so! Adam has mentioned that the different structures that you can build will modify the items that your team can craft and use, and I can imagine that traps are somewhere in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read somewhere that at least some of the monsters have difficulty levels, so it'd be interesting to experiment with two "easy" ones instead of one "difficult". Here's hoping that's an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Brackney
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an AI deck mechanic involved, which might make multi-monster encounters problematic. I guess we'll all know more in a few days when the gameplay video is released.

The text describing the multiple phoenix and watcher minis at Survivor level mentions giving you an extra for painting practice or to gift. That suggests that they're not meant to be fielded simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kirby
Malaysia
KL
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 2 game expansions so far in the Flower Knight and Dragon King, plus there will be another (possibly big creature) game expansion at 500K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why you couldn't simply have an AI deck for each creature. Or just draw multiple cards if you're playing with multiples of the same creature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
I don't see why you couldn't simply have an AI deck for each creature. Or just draw multiple cards if you're playing with multiples of the same creature.

I think they do each have their own deck.....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
caffeinehead wrote:

I think they do each have their own deck.....

-Ski

They technically have multiple decks. You don't use all the cards every time you fight them so each fight will be different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks all for the answers/thoughts.

I noticed in the video today that the monster had a level.
hopefully that will bring in multiple levels of difficulty

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
@Scott,

Firstly thank you.

1 ) Maybe I might add a special challenge scenario for this, but the game is designed around combat vs a singular boss monster. They can do a lot of things and unless a monster was designed to be a multi creature encounter, I feel it can get hard to keep track of everything! But yeah, maybe for fun, why not!

2 ) Monsters have around 25+ AI cards and 25+ hit location cards each. Monsters have 3 difficulty levels that are made up of a combination of these cards. So each monster kinda ends up with its own personality when you go to fight it. You might end up with a lion that growls and jumps around a lot one day, then a lion that is short tempered and likes to drag its prey away from the group on the next.

3 ) Depends how advanced your settlement gets!

The gameplay video touches on all of this a lot more, please check it out, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Yes I lived the video. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks great. I'm on board...but I would like to see, in the future, expansions that would allow for monsters that are meant to be fought as a group, say a gaggle of goblins or a bunch of crazed survivors...perhaps the expansion would introduce a slightly new mechanic to handle more than one enemy...sure, we're not gonna fight 5 phoenixes, but I'd love to be able to have my 5 survivors take on 6 ghoulies.

It would really add to the tactics/strategy and replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"2) In the same vein, would there be options to have different species of monsters. So once again we get to really enjoy the multiple models."

Well, Kingdom Death has an amazing line of minis, and I wouldn't doubt that we could see some of the already produced minis make a comeback like the flower knight, female or male survivor minis.

Call it wishfull thinking, but I for one would like to see expansions for the Forsaker, forgepriest, or Grandmother (maybe the grandmother could have one or two minions to protect her). I would esp love to see a wet nurse or gorm!! I know these may not be everyone's cup of tea, but hey that's why they could be optional expansions. (p.s. If you are reading this Adam, you could still sell a wet nurse expansion on your website if the KS hits a certain goal that way you wouldn't have to worry about those anti-tentacle bento people...)

The Dragon, the new spidey thing, the wet nurse and the gorm just scream absolute horror, and I love that feel in this game. I think the realistic, non cartoony horror feel is what makes this game unique, awesome and will be the success of the franchise just like it has been for the minis.

THIS GAME WILL BE AWESOME.... PERIOD!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
@Aaron,

Thank you! There are some multi-monster monsters on the design table, but I won't be introducing those until the core idea of the boss rush is in everyones hands. Too complex to soon you know?

@Nicholas,

Yah! I really love the more nightmare end of the monsters! I mean, I spent so much time and effort working on em how could I not? I am glad you understand and respect the reasoning behind my decision to keep certain models off the kickstarter. Some people are very sensitive and I must respect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Hey Adam,

Let me see if I'm getting the gist of the game right:

It's survival horror, but not survival of your characters. They're going to die, and you have to accept that. Instead, you're trying to get your 'clan' to survive through the horrors. Is that an accurate assessment?

And, if so, are we going to see multiple generations during a campaign? Do you just build up your survivors, or does the camp get stronger too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
@Matt,

Yes that is correct. While a survivor can live thru multiple game sessions and rack up certain bonuses(for example crazy blind john, who is really great at fighting lions!), they are not as important as making sure your entire settlement endures from generation from generation.

90% of the stats / abilities come from gear which can be taken from fallen survivors and passed thru generations. Having a clean slate survivor is often great, because he won't be missing any limbs or have any disorders!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
kingdomdeath wrote:
@Matt,

Yes that is correct. While a survivor can live thru multiple game sessions and rack up certain bonuses(for example crazy blind john, who is really great at fighting lions!), they are not as important as making sure your entire settlement endures from generation from generation.

90% of the stats / abilities come from gear which can be taken from fallen survivors and passed thru generations. Having a clean slate survivor is often great, because he won't be missing any limbs or have any disorders!

Then color me excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the same difficulty (Basic, etc), is there a hierarchy of monsters? Where does the Flower Knight fall among what we've seen of KD:M so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Flower Knight

level 1 - oh cool he has some neat AI mechanics
level 2 - this guy is a badass i don't think were ready for him yet
level 3 - F*** this, is this even possible?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
kingdomdeath wrote:
@Matt,

Then color me excited.

Not so excited here. I wanted to become attached to my figures.....Now it is a matter cycling through them instead....Not a passion killer, but disappointing none the less.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kingdomdeath wrote:
Flower Knight

level 1 - oh cool he has some neat AI mechanics
level 2 - this guy is a badass i don't think were ready for him yet
level 3 - F*** this, is this even possible?!

Nice. So is the Watcher still a higher-ranking boss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
@Team Ski,

You can still totally get attached! I personally find it more compelling when there is a chance you can lose a survivor, as opposed to D&D where the death of a PC is pretty damn rare. ( unless you've got a real hard DM! )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
kingdomdeath wrote:
@Team Ski,

You can still totally get attached! I personally find it more compelling when there is a chance you can lose a survivor, as opposed to D&D where the death of a PC is pretty damn rare. ( unless you've got a real hard DM! )

Copy that! Thanks! That sounds a lot better. I can take that risk. I just didn't want disposable heroes.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has played many RPG systems, for many several years with the same group, I've had my PC die in every major campaign. I've got a loving, but tough GM

@Team Ski: Never play Dungeon Crawl Classics. You need 15 level zero PCs at the start of the first campaign, as nearly all are expected to die. Come to think of it, Adam Poots would love DCC. Everyone starts out without weapons and are forced to claw their way to mediocrity through blood, sweat, the blood of friends, the tears of the fallen, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Poots
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
@Keegan,

Yes that does sound like I might enjoy it! hehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.