Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just when I think I've got the hang of this thing, I think I don't. Vary says when you play him you must choose and discard an ALLY character. Can this be an opponent's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Zhang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Preferably

Varys is a great card, playing a character and discarding an opponents. But remember that it's not a response but a passive so you MUST discard an ally, whether it be your own, opponent's or Varys himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your response. I think this may have been the last missing piece of the puzzle for me. It may come naturally for MtG or Pokemon players, but for us civilians these are new concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Zhang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Are you 100% sure? Because it says "discard" not "kill". What's the difference between the 2, then? I assumed that was it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
geki wrote:
Bill Zhang
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Are you 100% sure? Because it says "discard" not "kill". What's the difference between the 2, then? I assumed that was it.

"Discard" leaves play into the discard pile, but another copy of that character can later come into play.

"Kill" puts the character into the "dead" pile, which means that character can no longer come into play, even if you draw another copy of that card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that wasn't so intuitively obvious to me at first after playing countless other games where the discard pile gets reshuffled into a new draw deck, is that in this game the discard pile is never reshuffled!

So any card that gets discarded is out of the game for good. Thusly the only difference between the 'Dead" pile and the 'Discard' pile concerns duplicate cards of unique characters. If a unique character is in the discard pile, its duplicate card can be played. But if its in the dead pile, it can't and must be held.

Other than that, the two piles have the same effect of putting cards out of play for good - never to come back. I was half-way through my first game before that dawned on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Durtschi
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mb
bgm1961 wrote:

Other than that, the two piles have the same effect of putting cards out of play for good - never to come back. I was half-way through my first game before that dawned on me.

Well there are a couple of cards that allow you to take characters out of the discard pile, but no one can be resurrected from the dead pile. For all intends and purpose though, if you don't have those select few cards, then yes, they are the same.

You could play where you re-shuffle them in if you want, but I think you will find that rarely does a game go long enough to reshuffle your deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.