Hide
8 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Variants

Subject: Warden - Power to Incarcerate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris O
msg tools
Pixeling ain't easy, but someone's gotta do it...
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
This formerly was the idea I had for a Sting remake before Cosmic Alliance was previewed or released. I thought the idea was good so i expanded on it a bit and added a story to it and BAM! here is the Warden:

[_] WARDEN Holds Ships Captive [_]

You have the power to Incarcerate. Whenever your ships would be lost to the warp, captured, or removed from the game, you may return them to your colonies by "pardoning" an equal number of ships on this sheet instead; returning them to their owners' colonies of their choice.

As a main player or ally, if your side wins the encounter, use this power to "imprison" your choice of the losing side's ships by placing them on this sheet rather than sending them to the warp; but only up to the number of ships you have in the encounter. A player cannot be reduced to fewer ships than the number of foreign colonies needed to win the game. Any "imprisoned" ships that would reduce a player below this number are sent to the warp as normal.

As part of a deal you may "parole" ships belonging to your opponent; returning them to his or her colonies. If this alien power is removed from the game, send all ships on this sheet to the warp.

Unlike the Cavalry, the Wardens neither keep the peace nor do they always abide by the laws they help enforce. Locking up offending aliens may be part of their job, but they have no concerns about a few "escaped" prisoners and other "coincidences" when it suits their needs or interests.

Main Player Or Ally Only Mandatory
Start Turn Regroup Destiny Launch Alliance Planning Reveal Resolution

Wild: As the Defense, if you lose an encounter you may imprison all of your opponent's and his or her allies' ships in the encounter onto this flare and lay it next to the targeted planet. This flare is no longer part of your hand. These ships are treated as out of the game until this flare is zapped; which causes them to be returned to colonies of their owners' choice.
Defense Only Resolution

Super: After placing your ships into the hyperspace gate and aiming it, you may "imprison" up to as many ships from the target planet as ships you have on the gate and then return your ships on the gate to your colonies. This counts as a successful encounter.
Offense Only Launch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samu Lattu
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have a lot of experience with Cosmic Encounter and have no experience of Sting whatsoever, but this sounds like a great and very fitting idea. Curious to hear others weigh in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad! A bit like Fungus.

The Wild seems a bit too powerful. And it's also a little ambiguous - it the flare still part of your hand? Can it be taken as compensation or discarded if you need to draw a new hand? And what happens to the ships once the card is zapped?

You've got a typo in your Super: "as" instead of "and". And the way you wrote it implies "Offensive Main Player Only / Launch", but you've got it labeled as "Any Player / Regroup".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Not bad! A bit like Fungus.

The Wild seems a bit too powerful. And it's also a little ambiguous - it the flare still part of your hand? Can it be taken as compensation or discarded if you need to draw a new hand? And what happens to the ships once the card is zapped?

You've got a typo in your Super: "as" instead of "and". And the way you wrote it implies "Offensive Main Player Only / Launch", but you've got it labeled as "Any Player / Regroup".

I wanted to avoid it being like Fungus so there were a few things that were done. The first was that unlike Void or Fungus, you don't get to eradicate or capture ALL the opposing ships, just 4 max usually.

This power works like a Void variant when you are doing well: with more opportunities as an ally unlike Void's main player only stipulation, but with less ships effected by your power. When you are not doing so hot and you have some captured ships, you can start using this power like Zombie. So you have flexibility to a degree of a Void/Zombie hybrid.

Thanks for catching those typos/inconsistencies, hopefully the power makes sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I get that. It's like the Fungus, but it's not too much like the Fungus that it wouldn't be a good addition.

I still think the Wild is too powerful. It takes away a colony that was legitimately gained, possibly by multiple players, and takes their ships out of the game until a Card Zap is used. I'd change it to something like this:

Wild: As the Defense, if you lose an encounter you may capture all of your opponent's and his or her allies' ships in the encounter. Place them near the targeted planet they would have landed on. These ships are treated as out of the game until this you lose this flare, or decide to use it again in a different encounter, at which time the captured ships land on the planet.
Defense Only Resolution
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris O
msg tools
badge
LION OF JUDAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not convinced it is too powerful since it is a one-shot deal kind of flare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just wanted to point out that the Guerrilla Wild also makes the opponents lose the foreign colony they would have got, but also makes the planet get destroyed (and also is reuseable).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this alien. A little powerful, but so are many others.

In the end, isn't Cosmic Encounter about teaming up on the alien with the seemingly most overpowered ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.