Popular Tags: [View All]
Alastair Jack
Australia
Doreen
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you have to play on the lines, can you play in a grid?

I haven't played this yet, but want to know this before I play. I'm probably going to use lego (with minifig armies) for the grid though because aesthetics are just as important to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all relative. Just make sure there's the right number of spaces for the sized game you want to play!

Though that seems like a very large, cluttered, hard to play go on board . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Merely tradition. Topologically it's the same whether you play on intersections of lines or on the square spaces between the lines. The point (ha!) is each location has 4 neighbors (north south east west), except edge locations have 3 neighbors and corners have 2.

I suspect (but don't know) that a reason is that, since diagonal connections don't exist in Go, playing on the intersections visually creates an effect that the lines themselves directly connect stones which are adjacent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I suspect (but don't know) that a reason is that, since diagonal connections don't exist in Go, playing on the intersections visually creates an effect that the lines themselves directly connect stones which are adjacent.

This is exactly how I explain the concept of 'liberties'. Makes it very intuitive - I doubt it's incidental.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Liberties", "lifelines", are good reasons. More intuitive as said above.

Once you play I think the aesthetics of playing on the intersections will will jump out at you. The connectedness of the stones, their positions relative to each other, combinations of shapes and forms.

Very beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Mercado
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kphenninger wrote:
Very beautiful.

Go sets are very bautiful, and there is a certain mystic in its simplicity too. I say "try the traditional set" and then if you dont like the aesthetics then try something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
alastair john jack wrote:

Okay, I am going to say it: This is the stupidest question asked at BGG this year. Just play Tic-Tac-Toe with the pieces. You are not ready for more advanced games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

Okay, I am going to say it: This is the stupidest question asked at BGG this year. Just play Tic-Tac-Toe with the pieces. You are not ready for more advanced games.

Stupidest, most shallow insult to a question all year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't played this yet, but want to know this before I play. I'm probably going to use lego (with minifig armies) for the grid though because aesthetics are just as important to me.

You're going to need a whole lot of minifigs!

If you're really interested in learning and are trying to improvise, making a board of the lego might be a little difficult to do. Perhaps you can consider using the lego pieces on a paper hand-drawn board.

What you can do, though, is use one of the larger base plates and draw lines between the studs (two studs apart). You can then use 2x2 bricks or smooth plates on the newly created intersections. Getting them off will be a pain, though, when you start filling up the board.

I'm assuming you're a young person looking to try this out (correct me if I'm wrong), and the cost of getting even portable sets in Australia is kinda high (just based on a search of the ebay.com.au store). If you're really interested, PM me and I'll see if getting you one from Canada/US might be cheaper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

One should be more willing to hold back his desire to ridicule, unless done in a humorous and tasteful manor. Insolence is not becoming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a game where you can play on the lines AND in the spaces, try this: Guerrilla Checkers

Has movement and capturing features of both Go and Checkers, played on a small board.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Powell
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... you're going to make a go board out of legos... and use miniature army men as the stones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alastair Jack
Australia
Doreen
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks everyone for the insight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
If anyone should accurately describe what's going on in this thread, the admins will get angry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
vintermann wrote:
If anyone should accurately describe what's going on in this thread, the admins will get angry.

I'm confused. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
BTW minifigs aren’t army men, they are the little dolls that come with lego sets.

Until rather recently, minifigs were always army men. Okay, horses and cannon were minifigs too. And then there were camels and elephants and catapults, but the point is that minifigs were always military until the current millennium, and that millennium is only 1.2% old. Search for "minifig 15mm" or "minifig 25mm" and tell me what you find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
2097 wrote:
BTW minifigs aren’t army men, they are the little dolls that come with lego sets.

Until rather recently, minifigs were always army men. Okay, horses and cannon were minifigs too. And then there were camels and elephants and catapults, but the point is that minifigs were always military until the current millennium, and that millennium is only 1.2% old. Search for "minifig 15mm" or "minifig 25mm" and tell me what you find.

Try typing just "minifig" without measurements and see what comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2097 wrote:
I just wanted to clarify to everyone what type of figures the OP almost certainly was talking about.

And I wanted to clarify that many minifigs are army men.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Clinch
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Compare and contrast Chess and Chinese Chess (aka Xiangqi see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2393/xiangqi)

There have been various efforts to create Xiangqui sets "for westerners" that use the 9 x 10 spaces rather than the traditional intersections (and figurative pieces too) but anyone who plays much tends to use what almost everyone else is using. Especially in the internet age where you can get a game with anyone pretty much any time it helps if you're used to looking at a common front end.

As for aesthetics being important, try a traditional wooden board with tactile glass (or better still, shell and slate) pieces and you may find that a cleaner aesthetic starts to appeal. You may not, of course, but I'd suggest giving it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.