Gridash
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group started yesterday with a new Campaign and I decided to post the results in this thread and hopefully get some feedback.

Most of the members of my group didn't get to play the second edition yet. I played one session in a different group as the overlord, so I was elected to be Overlord again in this campaign.

Another thing to note is that we were using all the first edition monsters and heroes using the infamous conversion kit. I'm very happy about this purchase since it increases the overlord monster choices during quests by ALOT. The heroes get the benefit of more character options, which is nice as well.

For this new campaign we used the following hero setup:

Jaes the Exile as a Runemaster
Leoric of the Book as a Necromancer
Steelhorns as a Berserker
Ispher as a Spiritspeaker

As mentioned before, I'm playing as the evil overlord(TM). At first I was a bit hesistant since either I win and I'd feel sorry about the rest or everybody would be bashing on me 4 to 1.

First blood:

The Overlord was required to get 5 goblins to the exit in this quest, but the heroes managed to cut off the reinforcements soon enough by placing Leoric reanimate at the spawn location after dispatching 2 goblins. Every goblin that would spawn was cut down by the reanimate, and the whole group proceeded to kill both ettins. The heroes won this quest pretty easily.

This quest turned out to be pretty one-sided, but from what I've read afterwards on these forums, the best the overlord can do is deny treasures.

The results of the quest are the same though, so no biggie. I could have tried to deny them to get the treasures I suppose.

A fat Goblin:

There were no events during the travelling part.

First encounter:

This first encounter required the Overlord to get as many bundles of crops to the exit while the heroes were required to secure and store them away.

The questbook dictated to use of goblins for getting the crops and I was free to choose an additional open groups, respecting certain limiting factors. I proceeded to examine the many monster options from both the first edition and the second edition. I've always been a sorcerer kind of Overlord so I gave the Sorcerers a try. I figured that they are suitable enough to act as a distraction for my goblins to plunder the farm. Their damage values in combination with sorcery looked pretty buff too in case they were ignoring my sorcerers to go straight for the goblins.

The game then started, the ball was in the heroes camp.

Ispher decided to avoid the sorcerers straight away and moved ahead of the hero group, straight to the farm using a double move action. The other heroes moved once and tried dispatching the sorcerers. Steelhorns managed to kill the master sorcerer, but undying just allowed him to come back as a minion sorcerer. Both Leoric and Jaes then tried to kill a few more sorcerers, but only managed to kill one. That ended the heroes turn.

The first thing I did on my overlord turn was getting my goblins into position for taking the crops by taking double move actions. Then I moved 2 of my sorcerers back towards Ispher, almost killing him. A reinforcement sorcerer and the last sorcerer tried to do some damage on Jaes.

I can summarize the rest of this encounter ending up with the sorcerers chain killing heroes over and over while the goblins managed to secure 3 crops. All the killing resulted in me getting 12 out of the 16 overlords cards (I had used 1 XP to get an additional overlord card).

Yeah, I felt bad towards the end of this encounter for the heroes, but I had really lucky rolls early on and good cards most of the time as well. I wasn't out to win for the sake of winning, but losing for the sake of casting happy faces is equally bad imho. I managed to emphasize on the fact that they had pretty squishy characters.

So conclusion, are sorcerers horribly unbalanced or was it because of other factors, like the composition of the heroes and/or tactics/luck? I won't mention experience ofcourse, everybody was pretty new.

Second encounter:

In this encounter, the overlord has interrogate 4 prisoners, which are summoned by his goblin archers to the torture chamber.

Cavespiders were at the entrance of this encounter, goblins in this torture chamber. I decided to use Lave Beetles because of their blast ability.

The heroes managed to kill most cavespiders pretty quickly and that concluded the hero turn.

I decided to call in my lava beetles to take some shots at the heroes since they were all bunched up together. Sadly enough, it only did lackluster small amounts of damage. The goblins were placed into position, to carry the prisoners.

The hero turn started again. They killed 2 Lava beetles and then decided to heal up a bit since they were still in pretty bad shape from the first encounter. Back to the Overlord.

The goblins retrieved the 4 prisoners and placed them in the torture chamber. Splig managed to get Frederick on the first attempt, so that was a pretty lucky guess on my part.

The heroes tried to adapt accordingly by creating a blockade in the first corridor of the map. The corridor ended up in a room that still had a master Lava beetle and a cave spider. I positioned my goblin archers in this chamber and moved Splig to it as well.

I played some traps delaying the heroes from getting into the main chamber. One thing that caught my eye was a small free pathway to the exit through the corridor where the heroes were standing. They didn't entirely secure their blockade and were expecting to get a fight while I would try to pass through. I had gotten Splig into position to play a Dash card on him and managed to run right through them all, 2 squares from the exit. My goblin archers followed, acting as a meatshield.

I think it was obvious at that point that the overlord won that quest.

This is how I more or less remember the quest, maybe I forgot some details but whatever.

Conclusion:

Any comments on this session? Like I said, I wasn't out to win for the sake of winning, but it just happened to go this way. Do you think I was playing too harshly on the heroes? Do you think Sorcerers are way overpowered in the first encounter? They felt pretty strong to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Overlord, you were playing just fine. Unless you intend to take up more of a DM-type role, then you want to be ruthless. As the Heroes gain more skills and abilities, they will be ruthless against you.

That said, Sorcerers are pretty powerful in the first quest. In general, the Conversion Kit benefits the Overlord quite a bit, and I'd say it benefits the heroes less. If you find yourself winning too much and nobody is having fun, you may want to limit yourself to just the base game monsters, and even then, you may be too powerful by that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Whitmire
United States
Pilot Point
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak to the conversion kit, but I agree with Darren that you played the quest exactly as you should. With that said, it seems like the heroes made some missteps, and this game is less forgiving on heroes.

Fat Goblin:
1) This game has a lot more to do with movement and spatial tactics than outright combat; in fact, the game will de facto penalize players who needlessly engaged in combat at the expense of the explicit quest objectives. Heroes should all double move pass the open group, unless blocked, and if blocked, kill only what is necessary with efficiency to get the rest of the group through. I often use fatigue here to some degree or less to get adjacent to a crop if possible (Some heroes have heroic abilities that gain them additional movement; Syndrael, Jane, etc). I've played this quest where the heroes have taken control of both of the northern crops and moved toward the storage squares by the end of their 2nd turn, forcing the OL to go for the bottom 2 at best (or try to kill the heroes carrying the current 2 crops).
2) Reinforcement Rules: this quest lets the overlord replace a goblin AND a monster from the open group at THE BEGINNING of his turn. On quests like this, it's all the more fruitless to spend time killing the OL's monsters, unless absolutely necessary.
3) The OL is at a disadvatage on Enc 1, because he has to carry the crops all the way back to the exit (even losing a figure in the process) with mostly weak 2 heart goblins, while the heroes essentially deposit them nearby. I'm getting the feeling that the hero players just didn't position themselves optimally. Were they shy to use some of their fatigue early on?

On Enc 2, I think the luck just fell your way (getting the token right off the bat, because Splig needs body gaurds to have a shot at making it to the entrance) AND the heroes left you a gap.shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Martin
United States
Ellicott City
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1st responded is right on the money. I haven't played for long but I am finding that tactical positioning is paramount. In both cases, the players failed to focus on the objective at hand. In the first encounter of the Fat Goblin they should have raced past the open group and gotten to the objectives.

In the second encounter, there are at least two very nice choke points, IIRC, where the players can prevent Splig from getting through without mowing down a few of the heroes.

As far as your playing, be merciless! I have heard that the game is tough for the OL when there are four heroes, so you have to be on your game to have a chance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.