Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I post this another time! It s really important that you choose the right version for you. Most ratings of 5 are due to choosing the inappropriate version of the game!

Exemple, The action card torselli ( rating 3 ) talks about is a samurai card! Edit: had a nice message from torselli where he explains his 3 as it fit the bgg rating system ( not willing to play again ) but no bad game! rating,...strange business .

If you don t like hard surprises , play geisha please! It s a shame that you don t like the game because you play the wrong version! We esspecially put those two versions to make the game for all players!
We like these hard surprises, but others don t. That s why geisha version is there!

Hello everyone,

We heard some reaction about the harsh events and mission picking.
It's important to have all info, so we will enlighten some things here.

Events:

We admit that some events are hard. F.e. Eartquake is such a card. But since the region is known for it's heavy earthquakes, we implemented those things. And of course some people like harsh events ( we do .. )

But the game was playtested a lot. And the events were an issue here and there. So two version of the game were implemented in the rule book.
Geisha version and samurai version. In Essen the samurai version was on the demo.

If you read the different versions, you might think there's not much of a difference. But there is.

In geisha version the watchpatrol leaves the game in the last round, there's some difference in starting actioncard and you can leave the action or eventcards with samurai in the right top corner out of the game. This makes already a big difference for people who don't like nasty surprises. It gives a different feel.

So there are two version because there are two different type of players. It's very important that you play the version that fits your character. Otherwise you might be dissapointed, and maybe put the game aside, while there is a version you would like.

Missions

There are different mechanics to prevent luck taking over in the missions. Of course you can draw a mission that doesn't fit your hand. But ...

- Bidding: if you win the bid for a mission, you can draw 3 cards and choose the one fitting your clan.

- Foresight: if you do foresight ( action in a district) you can look to the top 3 missions and put them back on the stack in the order you want to. In combination with the bakufu ( pick a mission in the castle) , you can choose your own destiny. Or you can combine it with a action you can do with a building ( Yashiki ) which gives you the chance to swap a hand mission with the top card of the stack.

I hope this helps a bit. if there ar any questions, you can always PM one of us.

Many greetings and a lot of fun,

Wolf & Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rating it 5 is harsh. Unless you don't like the game. Me, I'd rate it a 6 or a 7. But my shelves are full of games that I rate 7.5 or higher (with plenty of 6s and 7s, unfortunately), so won't ever get around to playing the samurai version as I didn't buy a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Feather
Japan
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a mistake to call one version of your game samurai and one geisha. The two terms are not equal and one is related to the battlefield and the other the bath house. You are implying that one version is more exciting than the other before anyone reads the rules. Even if geisha version is more fitting for a certain group's play-style, you may be prejudicing them from picking it solely because of the name. I would suggest samurai/ninja or geisha/concubine. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never thought that would be a problem. But as you say it, i can see what you mean. Our thought was that a samurai bears his faith ( even bad) always with his head up! But as you say, people might think geisha is a bit the feminin version, and therefore choose samurai cause it sounds more heroic .
Hmmmm.... Good thought!
But even if names are maybe a bit prejudging, everyone should choose the right version.

If i read a commentor see a low rating: ' suddenly got hit by a card, way to hard, ... And than i see they play samurai,... It s a shame cause they would have had more fun playing geisha.
There s a lot of work in balancing things and if people serve it off because they choose the wrong version,... That s really frustrating. So now both designer and player are frustrated .

And of course, uir first game, our first baby, so we will, as we would do with real children, defend it with our lives

Butreally don t misunderstand me, theres no wrong critisism. We can really bear critisism. We learn a lot out of everything people say! We ve got already a lot of good tips .

So keep on commenting ! This is the best school for us! And it s much appreciated!

But please choose the right version . We won t call you a sissy if you enjoy geisha version! . And that s really a joke! ( not the choose the right version part, but the sissy part ) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Rating it 5 is harsh. Unless you don't like the game. Me, I'd rate it a 6 or a 7. But my shelves are full of games that I rate 7.5 or higher (with plenty of 6s and 7s, unfortunately), so won't ever get around to playing the samurai version as I didn't buy a copy.

No problem! Everyone has likes and dislikes. But it s true that a 3 or 5 hurts more than i expected. It s peoples freedom to rate what they think is right. But i think that s something designers have to learn. Read bad comments, learn from it and enjoy the good comments.
But it s still harder than i expected to cope with those things !
But we willlearn it, i guess .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Wittenstein
Germany
Hagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas, please do not take the ratings here on BGG too seriously. There are people here who rate games which are in the data base, but have not even hit the market yet. And there are people who rate games just after reading the rules. And there are people who seemingly love to communicate in a high emotional way, sometimes bordering the fields of insults. This is a very big and democratic community and a big community has to live with extremes. Cater to those who like your games, listen carefully to the ones who played your game at least 3 times and have remarks and suggestions and blend out the rest. Relax and absorb that a lot of gamers do enjoy your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf Plancke
Belgium
Kortrijk
West Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We know you are right Wolf, but sometimes it's hard. But we are learning ... hope to see you in the future with our next game laugh
Do you rate games on boardgamegeek ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ wolf: you're totally right. Had to work last night, was dead tired and saw people chose wrong version again . My frustration level was higher than normal . A bad time to react.

Anyway, there s already a lot of great comments. And from remarks we do learn a lot. It s great that most people give explanations! It s the best school!

I really don t say that peoples comments are wrong! Just that they have to comment on thr version fitting for them : p ! But you re right, i rest my case . I did sleep well this night, so frustration level dropped some points !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We really enjoyed our first game. It went a little long, because none of us had played. And we foolishly played with 5 players, making the game as long as possible. Of course we confused a few things and probably got some details wrong. I'll go back over the rules and cards before playing again.
A lovely game and experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! Nice to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.