King of Tokyo: Power Up!» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game worth the money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the base game and it's loads of fun; however, expansions always cost so much for sometimes very little gain compare to what I got from its base game. It's $18 if I get it. Thx for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally it added nothing to me. Get it only at reduced. Price

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play the variant where you draft cards like in 7 Wonders and allow 7 points worth of cards for each monster at the start for free, then probably this expansion will not add very much.

If you play the regular game, then it adds a little bit more of the same.

Is it revolutionary and a must buy? No. Necessary, though, if you're like me and like to have a complete game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is great, totally worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Anderson
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have played King of Tokyo enough times that it starts to feel old, get the expansion to give it new life. It also gives you a reason to roll hearts when you're in Tokyo. I found the expansion to be a good buy at $14. We only play it with the expansion now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Component wise it feels a little pricey, but then again component wise I think the base game is over priced. But the value of fun we've gotten from the base game has more then made up for it. The expansion adds some more variety and personality to the monsters and the nice think is it's very easy to use it or not depending on who we are playing with (we don't use it yet when we play with our family that has young kids). Personally I thought the expansion was worth it for $15 that I got it for. If it were a $20 expansion I'd have had a harder time justifying it, but I probably would have boughten it anyway cuz well I'm weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion just does what I believed the game needed from the start: get more cards in play fast. That's the reason I created this variant.

I've played it a couple times with the expansion and it's just okay. If I hadn't been using the DD variant, I'm sure I would like it more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it is a necessity. Adding different aspects to each character really adds new depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think it's worth it... For me the biggest change is the incentive and reward for rolling hearts. In order to evolve (get one of your monster's special powers) you need to roll at least three hearts. You can still use those hearts for healing (if not in Tokyo), but in addition it lets you evolve.

For our group, this really changed the dynamic of the game. Our crew had always been very aggressive, and about 90% of our games were won by the last mand standing. It's a group-think to be sure, but that's the way our games went.

But once we added the expansion, there became another clear and immediate incentive for not attacking -- trying to roll hearts to get your evolution cards. This led to a somewhat slower-pace with more buildup and more cards bought and all around more King of Tokyo goodness.

Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rhinehart
United States
Huntsville
AL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is totally worth it. We have 3 gaming groups who all love to play this game. Hardcore gamers all the way to parent gamers love it when this game hits the table. We always played the way the rules were written. We added this expansion and everyone just said "Wow". If you play the game as the rules intended this is a great addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It added more fun to the game. It also added time. There are different ways to play the cards which is nice. I would like to add my own variant. The rule states that when you roll 3 hearts you can evolve and heal yourself. My variant would make it that you could do only one thing. Either heal or evolve but not both

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Trakulhoon
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thx so much for the variant. Before using this variant, I see maybe 6 cards the whole game, which is sad because cards are so exciting!!. Now its so much more interesting. I'm using this variant all the time now. Thx again!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
I dont feel the amount you get from it is worth $20

BUT, this game generates more than $20 worth of fun

So pretend you are going to the movie theater
You know that the movies is NOT worth $12 per person for a 2 hr movie
BUT the fact you're there with a cute date makes it worth the $12

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.