Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay we looked at the board had no idea what we were doing as we were trying to learn the game so we did some things that may not make sense here because we did not know what all the cards could do etc.

Situation:
3.61 The Northwest Company/Indian unit gives it the ability to not need naval transport and says it can attack forts on Lake Huron etc. My friend and I first were wondering if this is considered a pure Indian unit in that it can not attack forts if alone (3.7) or if this special rule kind of makes it a mixed Indian/Coureur de bois thus making 3.7 rule mute. My friend and I considered this to be true, so my friend attacked with the NW company/Indian unit and Amphibious attacked Fort Mackinac.

NW company/Indian strength 3 attacks the 1st US Det a strength of 1 plus 2 for the Fort making it a 3. 1 - 1 odds minus 1 for Amphib (attacking Forts ignore terrain of the Lakeside Town Forest) and he played a battle card that gave him plus 2. Result was an Exchange. 1st US Det is a one step unit so it was destroyed, NW company is flipped. At this point we did not know if the NW company should retreat or if it landed but did not take possession of Fort Mackinac because it now did not have the strength to control it. It was there milling about in the woods waiting for reinforcements to come and help garrison the place we guessed.

Did we do this correctly if our interpretation of the rules is correct?

Cheers
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Kevin;

You played it correctly. That unit IS NOT a pure Indian unit, as it's name implies. It CAN attack Fort Mackinac and indeed that is almost it's only purpose in life, save for garrisoning Fort St. Joseph.

In an exchange the CRT says nothing about retreat. So if the NW unit is 'alive' at the end of the combat (although reduced) it stays there. Good reading of the rules on your part though.

You are correct, the victory would be rather 'pyrhic' as the unit does not have the strength to control the fort. If the British are going to win there, they need to 'win big' as they did historically. In actual fact the fort surrendered without a shot.

In game terms a 1:1 attack would require an unmodified final die roll of at least 10,11 or 12. Of course if the Royal Veterans had come along they could be used to absorb the 'hit' and the garrison then would be sufficient.

Note, that there is strategy card that gives the fort 'free' to the British. Of course the player must be lucky enough to have it in his hand.

Once you get a game or two 'under your belt' I think you are then going to discover the magic of the various strategies. It is a very balanced game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks very much for the quick answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhodanicommando wrote:
My friend and I first were wondering if this is considered a pure Indian unit in that it can not attack forts if alone...

Hi Kevin et. al. I am catching up on Madison posts.

I can't find a rule that says Indians can't attack a fort while alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
zhodanicommando wrote:
My friend and I first were wondering if this is considered a pure Indian unit in that it can not attack forts if alone...

Hi Kevin et. al. I am catching up on Madison posts.

I can't find a rule that says Indians can't attack a fort while alone?

Good catch mate, it's defending Forts that Indians can't do alone. Mind was hung up on NW unit attacking, somehow I read into it that Indians by themselves could not attack a Fort, but it is indeed Indians by themselves that don't get the Fort bonus. The NW company does get it per Gilberts answer.

Cheers
Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.