Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date: December 3rd, 2005

Game: Wheedle

Players: François, Jason, Jean-François, Johnny, Mike and Valdir (myself)

During the week leading up to the December meeting of the Montreal Boardgames Meetup Group Raymond had mentioned at the group's Yahoo message board the idea of playing 1830 and asked who would be interested. I started reading the rules here on BGG and was overwhelmed by it, so I declined but a few others took him up on his offer and the game was arranged.

When I got to our meeting place in the main building of the Concordia University I met some of the usual suspects plus a few faces I haven't seen in a while. Jason (Titan here on BGG), for instance, had joined us specially to play 1830.

We chatted for a while waiting for Raymond, the owner of the main game of the afternoon. We discussed a little bit which games we could play while we waited for him; Jason proposed Ra, but, although I would love to play this game, I didn't want to start anything this deep that we would probably have to abort when Ray would arrive.

Therefore we decide on a simpler game, I was thinking about For Sale, which I already knew and knew that would finish quite fast. Jason however proposed Wheedle, a card game I have never heard of. And I'm glad he suggested it, I loved it.

We were still doing a group reading of the rules when Raymond finally arrived. We decided to play just one of the six rounds that comprise the game. It was a lot of fun. This is a simultaneous, live-action game where everybody is trying to trade with everybody and with the one card at the table.

I have never played Pit (from which Wheedle seems to be a redevelopment), so I cannot compare but I have seen many comments saying that this game is a poorer relative of that one. Considering how much I liked my first exposure to Wheedle, I'm really interested in trying its older brother.

There was not much trading among the players, the card in the middle seemed to be the real magnet of trading. The thing is, when the round ends, the card that stays in the middle is the bankrupted company, so if you have any cards of that company, you don't want that card to stay there, so you take it. The card you put in to replace will have the same effect on another player and this keeps going until someone has only majorities in his or her hands. I don't know if this is a problem in the game or if there are other balancing elements to tone down the importance of that card, I have to play this more to see for myself.

I tried to do a trading with Johnny, I wanted some of the cards he had, but he didn't want the ones I was offering, so that didn't go through. I've seen some such trading attempts also fail, a few other working out, but most of the time we were all making sure that the card on the middle of the table was not one that would hurt us at the end of the round.

I was lucky to quickly build me up majorities in two colours and get rid of the one or two cards that I didn't need and announce the end of the round. Most other players lost points as you can see in the final score below.

Final Score
Player: Cards +/- Bonus = Total
Valdir: 10 + 5 = 15
Mike: 7 - 1 = 6
François: 5 - 1 = 4
Jason: 3 - 1 = 2
Jean-François: 5 - 3 = 2
Johnny: 0 0
This was just one round to get to know the game, we had to abort it as we were now ready to start our gaming afternoon for real. I hope this game gets more table time soon, it was a lot of fun (and not just because I won...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.