Gloom» Forums » General

Subject: no storytelling friends rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bob742
msg tools
War is a Racket - Maj Gen Smedley Darlington Butler d
mbmb
Am I the only one who plays with people who ONLY want to play the points?

It seems, no matter who I play with, no one wants to do any story telling with this game. And only occasionally read the flavor text out loud, usually only if they are new to the game/find something extra funny that time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobobob598 wrote:

It seems, no matter who I play with, no one wants to do any story telling with this game. And only occasionally read the flavor text out loud, usually only if they are new to the game/find something extra funny that time around.

I thought I was the only one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter the Great
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobobob598 wrote:

That is sad! My favorite part of the game is the story telling. My fiancee brings up poor old Grogar in daily conversation.

You need to find more creative friends. You are welcome over to our place any time.

There is one draw back. We can get a little too intense with the story telling... and that just adds to the time. The longest has been in the 1+ hour range for a 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Davis
msg tools
pfft i dont let those kind of ppl in my house... if you aint storytellin' u aint invited braj.

ZING.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not introducing storytelling part as an option. Because people don't know it's not mandatory they do it, and enjoy doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Last time I played Gloom I introduced it to two newbies. One of them didn't want to do the storytelling thing, so the other 2 of us did it and let him just play the cards. Why not? We still had fun.

I don't see any point in enforcing that aspect of the game. If we'd told him he had to do it, he either wouldn't have played, or he'd have tried to force himself to play in a style he wasn't comfortable with, which would have been less fun for him and us.

Having said that, if none of your fellow gamers want to do it, it wouldn't be quite the same. Maybe you should lead the way! Play up the storytelling aspect as much as possible yourself, and try to encourage them to join in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have learned anything from bgg it is to always consider the people you play games with when getting a new one. Part of the "game" of shoping for and demoing games when I get the chance is considering who in my group would like this/ hate this; and how often will I get this to the table?

Of course if you are the alpha gamer in your group you might be able to convince other players to play correctly of you just enthusiastically start doing it and encourage them by prompting thematic questions "that's terrible! How did that happen?". I find the storytelling part, like kareokee, is only tough untill people lose thier self consciousness. But gloom is def a tough sell, unless you play with a bunch of RPGers.

E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing gloom with bunch of casuals.

The thing is to trick them into thinking it's fun. Also I've convinced few people by showing them Tabletob with Wil Wheaton on which they covered Gloom.

But yeah, considering purchases with your playmates is important. This is the reason why I never got Lord of the Rings: LCG - no one, even fans of LotR, wanted to play with me(I borrowed that game to try it out). The only time I convinced someone to try we barely did anything - we lost on 2nd turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.