Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this for the first time last Friday.
I enjoyed it, as a straightforward take-that card game, especially since I'm into the theme. It had some kind of unique elements, like the 3-card pass, Tardis buffers if you successfully defend, and the end-game crescendo/flurry of attacks if you enter end-game phase, which felt nicely thematic. Art was well-done.

But my biggest nitpick was that points are so fluid, with locations frequently (constantly in the end-game) swapping ownership, that we had to constantly be tallying up everyone's points especially in the end game. You need to know this since points are public, so to know who best to attack and also whether to be OK with the game ending if someone has all their Daleks out. Even after every action you need to know point totals.

This might be helped with having a D20 in front of everyone, which would help with seeing what everyone's score currently is. But you still have to adjust after every battle or location action. It makes me wonder if the design would be more appropriate as a digital version, so all that fiddliness especially in the latter part of the game could be automated.

EDIT: The more I think about a D20 "scoreboard" the more I like it. As long as everyone remembers to update their D20s when appropriate. I'll suggest using these the next time we play. I do like the physical nature of actual card games better than a digital versions in general, and the rest of this game as is is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephane Bassiaux
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good idea indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wraith75 wrote:
Very good idea indeed

Wish I could take credit for it! A friend suggested doing that for Uchronia, where it's also important to keep a current score tally. I thought it would be just as suitable in this game.

Dice are great for keeping track of all kinds of stats, I've been using them for years in Runebound (Second Edition) and Arkham Horror to keep track of the various character stats, rather than using the chits that come with the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.