Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
Kirk "The Man" Douglas (Vikings)
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay this one needs more clarification as my opponent and I literally tore the rules apart trying to make sense out of this, and perhaps we were thinking to hard on this one but here goes.

The rules talk about Naval Bases (2.15). But the symbol shown next to 2.15 is a harbor based on the map key. Though the description does state a naval base is a lakeside town with an Anchor on it (which the map key says is a Port).

The Naval movement rules don't really cover moving to a Port or Harbor so why have two symbols at one location we asked ourselves. Was it map space and a harbor space was provided on the map where it was not crowded to help one stack Naval units so you wouldn't have giant piles of land and Naval units at a lakeside town with a harbor and a port symbol? We also looked through the cards wondering if you had Naval units in a Harbor if they were somehow protected from foul weather though we really did not see that either.

Lastly it comes down to this and I will use Lake Erie as the example.

Fort Malden is the main British/Canadian Naval Base on Lake Erie (it has both a Port symbol and a Harbor space). Dover is the back up base for the British/Canadian player and has no port symbol (but does have a (B) symbol to show it's a back up) but does have a Harbor space. The US have a Naval Base in Buffalo with a port symbol and a Harbor space for 1812, and in 1813 Erie fires up so the Allies in essence have two Naval bases. I also need to mention that Detroit (though on Lake Saint Clair) has just a port symbol no Harbor space, but Detroit doesn't have a back up symbol on it nor does the rules ever mention Detroit.

So what we wanted to know was can new construction and repairs only happen at the main Naval base or can the back up bases also do repair?

When the main naval base is destroyed or if enemy controlled does this mean that the back up base can now do new construction or just repair?

For the US what is up with Detroit? Can the US player repair there or is this a back up base? We weren't sure on what to do with Detroit.

Cheers
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Hey Kevin:

No the rules are correct. Anchor symbols DO indicate naval bases. The 'anchor symbol' that just happens to be on water IN SOME BASES is only meant to be a convenient place to stack ships instead of placing them on the port directly.

It really is just a 'player aid'. Perhaps I should have explained this in the rules.

Unfortunately I don't even have my copy of the game in front of me, only the prototype. If Port Dover does not have an anchor symbol right in the hex it should have. But, it is only a back up base and would only become active THE YEAR after Malden is lost.

However, in the 3 years of playtesting we never saw it used. The main reason being that by that time there usually isn't any British fleet left. It was an 'afterthought' rule that was put in just in case Malden was taken in 1812. But that is highly unlikely.

Back up bases if ever activated are fully functioning naval bases.

Good Point about Detroit, and it makes sense that somebody from that city would detect this. Once again, in the 3 years of play testing nobody questioned that naval symbol. And I never saw anybody build or repair there. BUT, by the rules they can. It is a naval base because of the symbol.

As I made that decision over 6 years ago I don't remember my original 'historical' reason why I did so. I do remember that I had good reasons at the time.

If I recall correctly the Brig "Adams" was actually built there and Detroit did have a naval element to the base as far back as the French and Indian War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate you getting back with me.

So when back up bases are activated they are fully functional as you state, but until then they can't even do repair correct? Not that we will have the need it sounds like, but just want to be clear.

Also when it comes to Detroit one thing I forgot to state that got the whole thing rolling was the charts printed on the map. One for the US, and one for the British/Canadian that state where naval production happens in the three main lake regions of the game. What struck my opponent and I as odd was that for Lake Erie for the US it states what two Naval bases your allowed to produce at. Detroit is not even mentioned here. Was Detroit just meant to be an optional place to repair ships at? That's what got the whole symbol, back up base thing foggy for us.

Again once we get rolling with game strategy it will probably be a mute point, but from the stand point of us learning the game it kind of threw us off and what we could do.

Cheers
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Spinello
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Ah yes,
The waters have been muddied. I had assumed that Detroit was for repairs only. What ships could be built there? The rules state that ships can only be built according to the charts on the map.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilbert Collins
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
"Detroit" was meant to be for repair only. The charts on the map though re-state this. But yes, I should have made a specific exemption for "Detroit".
As you mentioned though (and from experience the point will be completely moot)

With the Erie naval base activated in 1813 and Buffalo still active the two bases should be plenty for the US player.

In "War of 1812" terms only the "Adams" was built there before the war and was being upgraded at the commencement of the war.

While I'm at it note that the schooner "Caledonia" does not have a combat factor. This is not an error, it is intentional. If involved in any combat no die roll is necessary it is automatically destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Davidson

Livonia
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Gilbert.

Cheers
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.