Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you are in a port and end your turn, do you start your next turn in the port and therefore do not need to do the port action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game On!
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
As you guide your cursor over the blue avatar a strange feeling of dread comes over you.
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, you wouldn't need to use an action to move into the port, but you would still need to use an action to actually do the things listed under porting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
TankBoy wrote:
If I remember correctly, yes, you are in the port at the start of your next turn, but you will have to use a point to do a port action like buying cargo or special ammo.

Not sure what "point" you are referring to. If its one of the 3 actions, you dont need to spend one. Those are used only for ship movement or scouting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
Each turn you have three actions to take.

• Move Action: This is between seazones, from a seazone into a port in the same seazone, or from a port to the seazone. Moving into the port DOES NOT give you a free port action

• Port Action: Taking a port action (once you have moved into the port, or start your turn there, or however you got there) allows you to do all listed activities in the port. These are sell (must do first), buy, shipyard, recruit, etc. All of these activities do not cost actions as they are part of the Port Action.

• Scout Action: This allows you to scout for something. (For a rumor, mission, player captain, non-player captain, merchant). You cannot scout for the same exact thing twice in the same turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ebert
United States
North Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
Solo Gamers are NOT lonely!
badge
Together We Game Alone (1 Player Guild)
mbmbmbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
TankBoy wrote:
If I remember correctly, yes, you are in the port at the start of your next turn, but you will have to use a point to do a port action like buying cargo or special ammo.

Not sure what "point" you are referring to. If its one of the 3 actions, you dont need to spend one. Those are used only for ship movement or scouting.

Sorry, but this is incorrect. See my comment above about your actions.

Quote:
You are, however, required to sell at least on cargo good before performing any port actions on the second turn.

Nope. You are never required to sell at least one cargo before anything else. If you are going to sell, it has to be the first thing you do. In otherwords, once you buy, or go to the shipyard, or do anything else, you are no longer allowed to sell goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
HolyGigi wrote:
TankBoy wrote:

You are, however, required to sell at least on cargo good before performing any port actions on the second turn.

Your translation my be faulty but carrying out port actions does require one of your 3 action point. Moving into and out of a port costs a point, from sea space to sea space costs a point, scouting costs a point, and carrying out port actions costs a point. Maybe we've been playing wrong I don't have the offical rules in front of me but the rule guides make me wonder if we've been doing it wrong. Nope, I'll stand by my first answer.

You are also, never required to sell goods in port but if you do sell, it must be your first task in port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oups!

Guess I was playing it wrong.
Found the game designer reply on this matter here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6423786#6423786
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take three actions on your turn, and there are three types of action you can take - this is unfortunate design since it naturally inclines people to think that you can't repeat actions - that you get one port, one move and one scout. This is false.

You get three actions, each of which could be to move, or scout, or do a port action. Moving into port, moving out of port, or moving between neighbouring sea zones costs one action each time. Scouting for a particular ship costs one action each time, and you can only scout for a given ship once per turn. Taking a port action costs one action, and can only be done once during your turn, but includes any combination of the port activities, subject to the restrictions that you can only sell cargo as the first thing you do in a port action, and you can only do each port activity up to once per port action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Sort of off topic, but this is one reason why pirating is more lucrative (but more risky) than Merchant. You can:

port-move-scout
move-scout-move to port
port-move-move
scout-move-scout
move-scout-move to port
and repeat

That's 5 turns and 5 chances for VP plus money to stash.

Back out expenses for special weapons (you pirates do all fill up to 3, right?), repairs and ship upgrades and that should get you 7 or so VP in 5 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
... Moving into port, moving out of port...

Hang on, if this is the case I've been playing wrong!

It definitely costs a MOVE action to move into AND subsequently out of a port?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Norbert666 wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:
... Moving into port, moving out of port...

Hang on, if this is the case I've been playing wrong!

Yes. See p.7 at the very start of "Move".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Behnke
Germany
flag msg tools
Norbert666 wrote:

Read the example for moving on page 7.
That shows you clearly the three different kinds of moving:
Port to Sea-Zone,
Sea-Zone to Sea-Zone
and Sea-Zone to Port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, note that if you are buying goods again at the same port, that you can only draw 3 cards, not 6. Easy rule to forget (at least for us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three actions possible on your turn:

1) Move
2) Scout
3) Visit Shops. (this is misspelled as P-O-R-T in the rulebook).

It was a really bad design decision to use both Move to Port and Port Action in the game. Seriously, forget the words "port action". Never use them, they only confuse (as these oh so common threads show).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
There are three actions possible on your turn:

1) Move
2) Scout
3) Visit Shops. (this is misspelled as P-O-R-T in the rulebook).

It was a really bad design decision to use both Move to Port and Port Action in the game. Seriously, forget the words "port action". Never use them, they only confuse (as these oh so common threads show).

And getting three actions on your turn to spend on three possible actions.

And the terminology about turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.