Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability seems to be useless. Going to your reinforcement area damaged to Red Alert status is a drawback not a bonus, since all other ships after being destroyed are fully repaired. Also if it's a misprint, meaning that it should go to your command post instead your reinforcement area, it's still not good. Yes you don't have to pay the action to bring it out from your reinforcement area, but you would still have to pay actions to repair it. This makes no sense!

Is it meant to be a drawback or is it a misprint?

Not to mention the 1 in 36 chance of it happening seems to again be a mostly meaningless ability.

I am aware that it would deprive them of 1 victory point in that rare instance but really this just seems like a dumb ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it "saves" all the Crew Cards and upgrades that the Enterprise has been assigned in the course of the game. That's worth something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a bit dumb. I have house-ruled it that it stays where it is at red alert status on a roll of 5-6 (on one die).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
Cut_ wrote:
Well, it "saves" all the Crew Cards and upgrades that the Enterprise has been assigned in the course of the game. That's worth something.

I don't remember, does it say the Crew stays on the ship?

It is really not any worse than not having an ability. It is not the kind of ability you count on using, its true. It is a more powerful ship than the Venture, and it would only take an extra Action or an extra turn to fully repair it since you can do a 'movement repair' at the Command Post. If you really need a healthy ship right away, even at the cost of power, that is your decision to make, but at least you still have a Size 6 ship available, preventing your opponent from gaining that advantage over you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TribbleOfBorg wrote:
Cut_ wrote:

I don't remember, does it say the Crew stays on the ship?

Honestly I'm to lazy to dig up the card right now, but IIRC the card reads something like "...roll 12, then the ship is not destroyed but placed at Red Alert level at your command post". So, no destruction, no loss of crew. That's my take. If the ship survives, why wouldn't the crew? There's no way damage kills crew in the rules as far as I know, so we played it that way, that the crew and upgrades remained (and yes, it actually happened at our table, that the Enterprise returned by a roll of double sixes!!!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card reads likes this.

"NINE LIVES: If the Enterprise is destroyed, roll 2 dice: On a roll of 12, it is not destroyed. Instead, return it to your Reinforcements Pool at Red Alert-status."

That just stinks, and is worse than a normal ship being destroyed since they don't have to repair after being used to reinforce.

So is it meant to be a disadvantage? It just seems unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been a while since I played this game but to me it seems that 'reinforcement pool' is NOT the command post but rather the pool of unused ships ready to come into play. Therefore:

- It is not a disadvantage, you can simply choose not to bring that ship back into the game but instead deploy other ships. Having said that, it is not much of an advantage either.
- Any crew cards on it would indeed be discarded, not retained.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not destroyed.

No points to the enemy.

That's the value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
It is not destroyed.

No points to the enemy.

That's the value.

So what's the point of the "at red alert status" part, then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
It is not destroyed.

No points to the enemy.

That's the value.

It prevents you from recycling what could be an immortal ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
It is not destroyed.

No points to the enemy.

That's the value.

It prevents you from recycling what could be an immortal ship.

The chance of it being recycled once is currently 2.8%.

The chance of it being recycled twice is 0.08%.

I think "immortal" is not something we have to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like it's time for a house rule, since that ability is just stupid. Low chance of even happening, and what happens has little to no value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
bretai70 wrote:
Looks like it's time for a house rule, since that ability is just stupid. Low chance of even happening, and what happens has little to no value.

I would rather whine about the ships that have NO ability. The Big E is a powerful ship.
Quote:

The ship just narrowly survived and you're wondering why it is at red alert?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TribbleOfBorg wrote:
bretai70 wrote:

I would rather whine about the ships that have NO ability. The Big E is a powerful ship.
Quote:

The ship just narrowly survived and you're wondering why it is at red alert?

I'm talking mechanically, not thematically. Hence "what is the point...?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve H
United States
Lansing
Illinois
flag msg tools
Or am I?
badge
Devious
mbmbmbmbmb
The point is that instead of the E being destroyed for the rest of the game, you can bring it into play again, albeit at red alert and with a reinforcement action. Seeing as it is an outstandingly powerful ship, this is a great option.

Command posts function as Starbases in that you get a free repair point without having to spend an action if the ship is there for the turn without moving. So when you bring it in, it cannot perform an action in your command post that turn, but you get a free point of repair bringing it to yellow alert. So it does not take that long to get it back to full, but it's not instant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box cars required for it to matter. I would rather have something that always works or works most of the time even if that ability is small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is this even being debated?

The Enterprise E's "special ability," isn't. Might as well have left it blank, because it's only going to go off 2.77% of the time. Once every 36 rolls on average!

You simply cannot objectively state that this "ability" is anything but stupid and useless.

At least make it a 1 in 6 chance of happening and then it's worth printing something in the ability space.

And to clarify, I really enjoy this game, but Elliott really dropped the ball on this "ability."

EDIT: To remove a redundancy. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly my point in my original post.

Also it's not just the Enterprise E, it's also the Enterprise A, which is nowhere near as powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just make it on a 9+? The ability is called "9 lives" so it's quirky and easy to remember.

9+ = ~ 28%
10+= ~ 17%

I suppose you could say "roll greater than a 9" (so 10+) if 28% seems too high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
Or roll 9 exactly. Only four ways to do it. 4/36 = 1/9.
CrispyMyth wrote:
Might as well have left it blank

That's the way I see it, and I have no problem with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pace
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TribbleOfBorg wrote:
CrispyMyth wrote:

Exactly. It's an incredibly powerful ship that just happens to have a small chance of defying death. For someone that has rolled boxcars, denying my opponent's game winning point, I think that it's a great little "extra" for an already great ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marzuki wrote:
TribbleOfBorg wrote:
CrispyMyth wrote:

Exactly. It's an incredibly powerful ship that just happens to have a small chance of defying death. For someone that has rolled boxcars, denying my opponent's game winning point, I think that it's a great little "extra" for an already great ship.

First off, the Enterprise A also has this "special" ability and it's nowhere near as powerful as the E, as bretai already pointed out.

Second, you are only going to roll "boxcars" once every 36 times (on average) an Enterprise gets destroyed. You (very) basically are going to have an Enterprise once in every six games; meaning you will have to play 216 games with the Feds before said "special" ability ever happens (AND your opponent has to destroy it). I don't know about you, but I very much doubt I will ever play this game 216 times.

Therefore, it's totally a throw away ability. It basically has zero impact on the game, so why is it there? I say house rule it to have at least a 10% of going off, change it completely, or ignore it altogether, because it's irrefutably pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercutio Wycliffe
msg tools
mbmbmb
CrispyMyth wrote:

Therefore, it's totally a throw away ability. It basically has zero impact on the game, so why is it there? I say house rule it to have at least a 10% of going off, change it completely, or ignore it altogether, because it's irrefutably pointless.
Why ignore it when you can get all worked up over it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Nicewander
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TribbleOfBorg wrote:
CrispyMyth wrote:

Why ignore it when you can get all worked up over it?

LOL, I'm not "all worked up" about it. I actually find it quite amusing that I have to point out the obvious.

As I said before, I really like ST:FC, but my like or dislike doesn't make the Enterprise(s) "ability" any less pointless than it obviously is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's your game, mod the ability any way you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.