Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Miner
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The elven archers have a ranged combat of 2 and melee combat of 3.

Does ranged combat occur before melee combat? I haven't found this in the rules.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There isn't separate ranged or melee combat that I know of. Instead there are units (such as the Hnewiwan, which I think you're referring to) that have a Ranged trait.

This trait comes into play when a spell such as Breeze is played. This spell would give troops with Ranged weapons +1 initiative, attack, and damage.

As far as combat there are 2 steps - Engagement and Melee. In the Engagement step initiative is usually helped by ranged weapons which can then also help eliminate opposing troops before they can hit you (giving the effect that a ranged weapon would have, striking before melee).

Hope that helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Korie
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep, Dan is right.
The size of hexes in Magestorm is so large that a normal system of having archers shooting on another hex is impossible.
What is called Initiative in the game is referred as the tactical influence in a battle due to a troop characteristic, such shhoting with bows or moving with horses. So if your opponent has archers, the position and maneuver of the archer influence greatly how yuo will deploy and move your own units. The same is for cavalry units (only the Kragis have cavalry in the base box) or for the initiative bonus given by the territory cards.
Thanks for playing the game! Hope you like it!

Piero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.