Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Simons
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the Ghost Ship variant of CTT last night with some friends and several questions came up regarding the timing of the "arrival" of the ghost ship on the map tile.
Does the ghost ship arrive literally "as soon as" a player picks up the treasure? Example: Player 1 executes a move forward 2 at priority 82 and lands on the treasure space, thus retreiving the treasure. Does the ghost ship now come onto the board and execute any anchored commands with lower priority (less than 82) for that bell registry?
Or, does the ghost ship not come on until the end of the bell registry, after all players' commands have executed for that turn.
. . . OR does the ghost ship not come onto the board until the start of the next Turn?

We played under the assumption of the ghost ship coming onto the board as soon as a player received the treasure, executing any anchored commands of lower priority that other players had assigned for that bell registry. It was quite brutal so I was curious if we were playing this correctly (as the designer intended)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Or, does the ghost ship not come on until the end of the bell registry, after all players' commands have executed for that turn.

This one. Lower-priority commands for the Bell in which the treasure is recovered would not come into effect.

This is because the treasure is picked up at the end of the bell. From page 4 of the rules:
Quote:
Getting the Treasure
The first person to end a Bell on the treasure square recovers the treasure...

So the Ghost Ship would appear at the end of the bell. If the treasure is recovered on Bell 2, then anchored commands on Bells 3 and 4 would still affect the Ghost Ship. If the treasure is recovered on Bell 4, then the newly spawned Ghost Ship would still fire its cannons, but that's all it would do on that turn.

Thanks for your excellent questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Simons
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Clint. I guess a little more attention to detail in reading the rules might have answered this for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
g00sep00p wrote:
Thanks for the clarification Clint. I guess a little more attention to detail in reading the rules might have answered this for me.

There's definitely a lot going on here, and it's sometimes hard to piece it all together. The wording in the Ghost Ship section should probably be clearer, to say that he always comes in at the end of the bell -- the "immediately" language can definitely throw you off.

I had to go back and double-check on the rules myself, since I wasn't entirely sure.

Thanks so much for your excellent questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.