BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2p Card Games with Kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Warren Wang
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking for 2 player card games that we can play with our kids ages 8 and 10. We do NOT want deck building, LCG type of games or co-ops. My kids are experienced gamers but they're still kids. I'm looking for a game which is quick to set up, can be easily explained, over in an hour or less, and has enough strategic depth that my wife and I won't be bored stiff. I also realized that a well integrated theme and pretty components are a bonus.

We've recently purchased three of these type of games:

Jaipur - A big hit with the kids. It's fast paced and fun. The artwork is colorful and the theme is well integrated. However, it's a little too shallow for the adults. It would be perfect if it were just a little deeper.

Battle Line - Only my wife really likes it. It's definitely strategic but too dry even for me. Aren't we really just laying down poker hands?

Lost Cities - Kids like this one too. Again fast paced and fun and the artwork is also nice. Problems? Lacking in theme and also a little too shallow for adults.

Looking on this forum, I've narrowed down ideas to Jambo and Summoner Wars. At first, I thought Summoner Wars wasn't for kids but it seems as if many geeks out there are playing this with their younglings. It also made Melody Vasel's top 10 list so I know my kids can play it. At the same time, it also looks deep enough that adults enjoy it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tichu with 4.
Haggis with 2-3

Uchronia, which I've seen described as "Glory to Rome-lite"

If Glory to Rome doesn't seem to complicated, then get that. Awesome game, scales well.

I almost picked up Jambo with both expansions the other day, but something kept me from doing so (possibly the fact that it's 40+ dollars, money's tight, and there are other games I'd rather get for that kinda cash).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Jaipur but wish it were just a little meatier, a perfect fit would be Morels

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto and Archaeology: The Card Game are worth checking out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:

Coloretto is a good suggestion except the op said Jaipur was too light and Coloretto is lighter than Jaipur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roma and Arena: Roma II were big hits with my daughter and her friends starting at that age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

Coloretto is a good suggestion except the op said Jaipur was too light and Coloretto is lighter than Jaipur.

You're absolutely correct. I forgot that when I was typing my post.

So, I'll lend my support to Summoner Wars - I think it'll work nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
Deathstroke wrote:

You're absolutely correct. I forgot that when I was typing my post.

So, I'll lend my support to Summoner Wars - I think it'll work nicely.

I havent played Summoner Wars. I have only played Jambo of th two the OP was asking about. I do like Jambo, but it is very text heavy and thinky and runs about 40 minutes. That may be a bit too long for kids. I would still check out Morels. It probably about 25 minutes with little to no text. It's more like Jaipur, only cranked up a bit.

But Summoner Wars is probably the better game. It looks more epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for games that are 2p only? Or that have to play 2p and should play more too? Do you want something that your 8 year old and your 10 year old can play with each other, alone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcgill94 wrote:
I'm looking for 2 player card games that we can play with our kids ages 8 and 10. We do NOT want deck building, LCG type of games or co-ops.

In case you haven't tried them yet, I'd like to suggest the idea that you don't need to buy anything extra in a LCG game. I have played with Game of Thrones LCG with just the core decks, and it works just fine.

(
And actually, I've played several other "sealed-deck" CCGs that have fixed contents, and those work out just fine as well:
Babylon 5,
Deadlands: Doomtown,
and the CCG version of Game of Thrones.
)

Other card games (that are neither LCG or CCG) :

Netrunner (new "Android" version)

7 Wonders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wang
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I guess I wasn't clear enough in my original posting, but I'm looking for games which are STRICTLY 2p only. Why? We like the head to head confrontation aspect. Either you win or I win. These quick card games tend to fill the time when let's say my older daughter and I have some downtime before bed while my wife is helping my other daughter with her homework. We have plenty of other games when all four of us want to play. These games tend to be played with an adult / child pairing which is why we want games that the adult won't find too simplistic. It would be great if my daughters picked up these games on their own, but they tend to gravitate towards video games in those situations.

Looking at the suggestions, Android Netrunner and Uchronia just didn't do it for me. I think it was the theme for Netrunner and the person explaining Uchronia in the only video I could find just didn't make it seem interesting.

I added Roma II to my Cool Stuff wish list. I also liked Morels but it was difficult to find. The only place I could locate it was on the publisher's website and it would have cost almost $30 with shipping. Yes, Summoner Wars is even a little more but it seems like it gives you a lot more for the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. That should help the recommendations.

In light of this new information, I would like to make a non-card game recommendation: Batt'l Kha'os.

It's a 2-player tile-laying game that fits all of your requirements. Take a look and see what you think.

Good luck with your search!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out that there's a new version of the Game of Thrones card game:

Game of Thrones: The Card Game

The only reason I found out is because it's on "sale" at Target for $19.99. (Regular price is $24.99, supposedly)

They've taken stills from the HBO series onto the cards, and there's a somewhat different "look and feel" to the card format. According to the forum threads, the components are still the same high-quality that you'd expect from FFG. But, if you do find any kind of misprint or defect, FFG customer service can probably help you out.

This version is strictly 2 player, and it seems to be focused on the Starks and Lannisters. Each faction has 50 cards. Here's a link to someone's review:

The Purge: # 111 A Game of Thrones: HBO/TV Show Version: A 2 player game for AGOT Fans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.