James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Carbon pollution up to 2 million pounds a second
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20121202/DA2TPGI00.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - The amount of heat-trapping pollution the world spewed rose again last year by 3 percent. So scientists say it's now unlikely that global warming can be limited to a couple degrees, which is an international goal.

The overwhelming majority of the increase was from China, the world's biggest carbon dioxide polluter. Of the planet's top 10 polluters, the United States and Germany were the only countries that reduced their carbon dioxide emissions.

The latest pollution numbers, calculated by the Global Carbon Project, a joint venture of the Energy Department and the Norwegian Research Council, show that worldwide carbon dioxide levels are 54 percent higher than the 1990 baseline.

The 2011 figures for the biggest polluters [increase from 2011]:

1. China, up 10 percent to 10 billion tons.
2. United States, down 2 percent to 5.9 billion tons
3. India, up 7 percent to 2.5 billion tons.
4. Russia, up 3 percent to 1.8 billion tons.
5. Japan, up 0.4 percent to 1.3 billion tons.
6. Germany, down 4 percent to 0.8 billion tons.
7. Iran, up 2 percent to 0.7 billion tons.
8. South Korea, up 4 percent to 0.6 billion tons.
9. Canada, up 2 percent to 0.6 billion tons.
10. South Africa, up 2 percent to 0.6 billion tons.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Carbon pollution up to 2 million pounds a second
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20121202/DA2TPGI00.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - The amount of heat-trapping pollution the world spewed rose again last year by 3 percent. So scientists say it's now unlikely that global warming can be limited to a couple degrees, which is an international goal.

The overwhelming majority of the increase was from China, the world's biggest carbon dioxide polluter. Of the planet's top 10 polluters, the United States and Germany were the only countries that reduced their carbon dioxide emissions.

The latest pollution numbers, calculated by the Global Carbon Project, a joint venture of the Energy Department and the Norwegian Research Council, show that worldwide carbon dioxide levels are 54 percent higher than the 1990 baseline.

The 2011 figures for the biggest polluters [increase from 2011]:

1. China, up 10 percent to 10 billion tons.
2. United States, down 2 percent to 5.9 billion tons
3. India, up 7 percent to 2.5 billion tons.
4. Russia, up 3 percent to 1.8 billion tons.
5. Japan, up 0.4 percent to 1.3 billion tons.
6. Germany, down 4 percent to 0.8 billion tons.
7. Iran, up 2 percent to 0.7 billion tons.
8. South Korea, up 4 percent to 0.6 billion tons.
9. Canada, up 2 percent to 0.6 billion tons.
10. South Africa, up 2 percent to 0.6 billion tons.

Look at it like this, it will be someone else mess to clear up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
Carbon pollution up to 2 million pounds a second
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20121202/DA2TPGI00.html

WASHINGTON (AP) - The amount of heat-trapping pollution the world spewed rose again last year by 3 percent. So scientists say it's now unlikely that global warming can be limited to a couple degrees, which is an international goal.

The overwhelming majority of the increase was from China, the world's biggest carbon dioxide polluter. Of the planet's top 10 polluters, the United States and Germany were the only countries that reduced their carbon dioxide emissions.

The latest pollution numbers, calculated by the Global Carbon Project, a joint venture of the Energy Department and the Norwegian Research Council, show that worldwide carbon dioxide levels are 54 percent higher than the 1990 baseline.

The 2011 figures for the biggest polluters [increase from 2011]:

1. China, up 10 percent to 10 billion tons.
2. United States, down 2 percent to 5.9 billion tons
3. India, up 7 percent to 2.5 billion tons.
4. Russia, up 3 percent to 1.8 billion tons.
5. Japan, up 0.4 percent to 1.3 billion tons.
6. Germany, down 4 percent to 0.8 billion tons.
7. Iran, up 2 percent to 0.7 billion tons.
8. South Korea, up 4 percent to 0.6 billion tons.
9. Canada, up 2 percent to 0.6 billion tons.
10. South Africa, up 2 percent to 0.6 billion tons.



Brutal but we knew this would be the problem. You've got hugely populated developing nations with cheap infrastructure being driven by enormous first world demand.

This is why we need massive public investment in green energy generation research. The private sector will have to drive it eventually, but at the early stages, there's too little capital overall to fund it, because the ROI is too far out.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll soon fall away once China's economy crashes.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Euroncrowseye wrote:
Blaming this one squarely on the USA having blocked any and all global efforts to try and deal with this from Kyoto onwards.

Nice going.


http://harvardmagazine.com/2002/11/problems-with-the-protoc....
November-December 2002 !

Quote:
China, for example, will pass the U.S. in annual emissions of CO2 by 2013,


Quote:
But the choice of 1990 immediately introduced inequities into the ensuing political process to determine who should cut how much, says Butler professor of environmental science Michael B. McElroy. That particular date "gave the Europeans a massive advantage relative to other countries," he says, because "reunification of Germany led to the elimination (for economic reasons) of a lot of dirty, polluting industry in what was formerly East Germany." Similarly, in the United Kingdom, the discovery of natural gas in the North Sea facilitated Margaret Thatcher’s phase-out of the coal industry, which had been a major source of fuel." That meant the European Union could apportion emissions not needed by Britain and Germany to big polluters (awarding large net increases in some cases), thereby obtaining flexibility that no individual country had. The United States, of course, had in the meantime experienced unprecedented economic growth.

By selecting a timescale that was almost immediate—a completion date of 2008—the Kyoto Protocol mandated economically inefficient measures to achieve its targets. "The economic lifetime of a power plant is maybe 30 years," says McElroy, "and the average automobile in the U.S. is on the road for 11 and a half or 12 years. If you try to change the energy economy too quickly, you are going to have to retire equipment that is still economically productive."


http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/oct/13/europe-kyo...
Quote:
Emissions from the current 27 member countries have fallen by more than 17% since 1990, putting them "well on track" to meet the target to meet the EU's own pledge of a 20% reduction by the same date, added the report.

However a report due to be published soon by the Policy Exchange thinktank has measured the emissions generated by goods and services consumed by those countries and found that it has increased by more than 40%.
(i.e. the EU's success is smoke and mirrors- not reality).

As a result, "demonstrating success in reducing carbon levels is questionable," said Simon Less, the thinktank's head of environment and energy.


Firstly, the widespread impression of the Kyoto treaty was that if the U.S. would just commit suicide, everyone else would be so much better off. I don't know if that's true or not, but it certainly didn't help it's success.

Secondly, as mentioned above, by selecting a date which meant Europe got credit for retiring a bunch of antiquated equipment it was going to retire anyway, it came across as a ripoff conjob.

Thirdly, I agree that the original 8 year deadlines were too aggressive.

Fourthly, China and India are going to be a problem. China is just getting started. It's going to exceed all the carbon emitted by the U.S. ever by 2050 (and the person that said that was being optimistic because they thought it would be 2013 when china just exceeded the U.S. and here was are in 2012 and they have already close to double our output.

Finally, there is no good solution except reducing the population. And people are not willing to discuss that yet. They may never be willing ot discuss it.

So we will destroy our air, our water, and our land and unless we figure out some technological way to produce food straight from energy at some point (before 2100), it is going to end very badly. Billions dead in a very short period. Most probably due to a war which disrupts energy and JIT. But possibly due to a designer disease.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Yay! Longer growing seasons! Increased crop production! More food for the people of our planet!


Until it's all wiped out by an early frost, or a hurricane, or some other horrible climate-related disaster.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ice
United States
San Jose
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Yay! Longer growing seasons! Increased crop production! More food for the people of our planet!


No no. Increased desertification, increased drought, decreased crop production.

One of the main bread-baskets of the US, California, stands to see its summer water supply severely diminished due to snow pack from the Sierras melting earlier.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Yay! Longer growing seasons! Increased crop production! More food for the people of our planet!


Until it's all wiped out by an early frost, or a hurricane, or some other horrible climate-related disaster.


Oh, no worries about early frosts if the earth heats up. Instead the whole planet will be a lush, green rain-forest. And since rain forests are Mother Gaia's lungs, she'll probably thank us for the better breathing by granting us abundant fruits and nuts.



It would seem the nuts are already pretty abundant in here.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Yay! Longer growing seasons! Increased crop production! More food for the people of our planet!


Until it's all wiped out by an early frost, or a hurricane, or some other horrible climate-related disaster.


Oh, no worries about early frosts if the earth heats up. Instead the whole planet will be a lush, green rain-forest. And since rain forests are Mother Gaia's lungs, she'll probably thank us for the better breathing by granting us abundant fruits and nuts.



That's true. I've seen lots of nuts since I've started reading RSP.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jythier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Yay! Longer growing seasons! Increased crop production! More food for the people of our planet!


Until it's all wiped out by an early frost, or a hurricane, or some other horrible climate-related disaster.


Oh, no worries about early frosts if the earth heats up. Instead the whole planet will be a lush, green rain-forest. And since rain forests are Mother Gaia's lungs, she'll probably thank us for the better breathing by granting us abundant fruits and nuts.



That's true. I've seen lots of nuts since I've started reading RSP.


Looks like we both went for the low-hanging fruit of potential jokes.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
das Andere wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Jythier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Yay! Longer growing seasons! Increased crop production! More food for the people of our planet!


Until it's all wiped out by an early frost, or a hurricane, or some other horrible climate-related disaster.


Oh, no worries about early frosts if the earth heats up. Instead the whole planet will be a lush, green rain-forest. And since rain forests are Mother Gaia's lungs, she'll probably thank us for the better breathing by granting us abundant fruits and nuts.



That's true. I've seen lots of nuts since I've started reading RSP.


Looks like we both went for the low-hanging fruit of potential jokes.


Aw, nuts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Yay! Longer growing seasons! Increased crop production! More food for the people of our planet!

Drew1365 wrote:
Oh, no worries about early frosts if the earth heats up. Instead the whole planet will be a lush, green rain-forest. And since rain forests are Mother Gaia's lungs, she'll probably thank us for the better breathing by granting us abundant fruits and nuts.

Given the nonsense you otherwise spread around RSP, I can't tell whether these posts are attempts at humour or the unfortunate result of home schooling.
They could be both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.