Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Closed/Sealed Locations Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ace Hoonter
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello,

I just would like to make sure I'm doing this right.

1 - When a location is closed, just the monsters that have the same dimensional symbol as the gate being closed are removed, right? If there is a monster at the location I'm closing/sealing a gate, it remains there (provided that it does not have the same dimensional symbol of the gate), correct?
2 - If a Mythos card informs to put a Clue token at a sealed location, what happens?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Right. And correct.

2) Place the clue. Only gates and monsters are prevented from appearing at sealed locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
1) Right. And correct.

2) Place the clue. Only gates and monsters are prevented from appearing at sealed locations.

Not to confuse the issue, but, by the letter of the rules, #1 is correct, if the monster has a different dimensional symbol than the gate that is closed, it stays. However, I think a common house rule is that monsters on gates that are closed or sealed go away as well, regardless of symbol. That is, of course, just a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jhwedmd wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
1) Right. And correct.

Not to confuse the issue, but, by the letter of the rules, #1 is correct, if the monster has a different dimensional symbol than the gate that is closed, it stays. However, I think a common house rule is that monsters on gates that are closed or sealed go away as well, regardless of symbol. That is, of course, just a house rule.

I've never heard of that house rule before, but I like it, and may suggest it in my next A.H. session. So if it wasn't that common before, it may become so. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a house rule, one that I for one would never use, as it makes the game much easier, and I like the challenge. It also diminishes teh risk of sitting on a gate while you read tomes or wait for equipment, such as Elder signs to be delivered to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
jhwedmd wrote:
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
1) Right. And correct.

I've never heard of that house rule before, but I like it, and may suggest it in my next A.H. session. So if it wasn't that common before, it may become so. thumbsup

Caution; this lowers the difficulty a LOT more than you might think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Griswold
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I've always played is if I managed to close a gate and a monster was there, it remains there. If, on the other hand, I managed to seal it while a monster was there I always put the monster in the street. Does that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
These are all just house rules which make the game much easier. One of the big decisions when you come out of a gate is whether or not you want to encounter the monsters there or taking your one turn by. By allowing them to be removed you are drastically reducing the difficulty of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Only gates and monsters are prevented from appearing at sealed locations.
I started to write a response to this, challenging the Monster aspect of the statement. I was going to say that I understand that a Gate + Monster can't appear at a Sealed Location, but I thought that a Monster from an Encounter could. But then I read the rulebook.
page 8 of the Arkham Horror rulebook wrote:
Monsters and gates cannot appear in sealed locations,
even if this is directed by the text of a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cuitláhuac Del Valle Espinosa
Mexico
flag msg tools
mb
Why would you like the game to be easier???? This is Arkham, the nastiest place on earth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.