Subject: Domus Aurea still too painful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd venture many of us started off with the I.V. edition of GtR with the Colosseum. Now that we have the Republic edition, Domus Aurea replaces that. Have the rest of you who played wth and against Domus Aurea found that it's still a building you really need to watch out for? Losing clients is BAD, but the Dom Aurea still nullifies a Arch./Craft action, and the attacker getting a material in Stockpile AND the influence/VP is an extreme benefit for him (as opposed to Colosseum really hurting you, while giving the attacker a really good thing)

While Palisade and/or Wall (vs. Bridge here) are the ways to defend against either, at least with the Domus Aurea, you can try to ensure you don't leave started buildings without material added to them (will need 2 actions for that, which may not always be possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, the coliseum replacement not overpowered you pansy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
All the cards are too powerful. This is Glory to Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
The important difference, to me, is that Domus Aurea is always avoidable, even without a Wall/Palisade. Just don't start buildings without adding material to them before the next Legion action. This can be by taking actions in pairs (usually possible by the time someone finished a 3-cost building). Alternatively, the players without Domus can conspire to lead Arch/Craft in sequence (between turns of the player with Domus Aurea), so that buildings stay safe. Both approaches definitely lengthen the game, but not necessarily to the advantage of the player with Domus Aurea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really should post my custom setup. I removed Palisade and Wall and still left Domus Aurea in. It's very beatable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
I really should post my custom setup. I removed Palisade and Wall and still left Domus Aurea in. It's very beatable.

I agree. I've too removed these two buildings. We've played 18 times last week, no problem with the Domus Aurea.

I'm interrested to know your setup.

Here's mine. Cards removed:
Palissade
Bar
Archway, School
Wall, Vomitorium
Circus Maximus, Garden
Fountain, Plebeian Council

We play with an errata on the Bacchanalia : only one card goes to the hand, all the rest goes to the pool. Even with the errata, we think it's too powerful but we agreed to play like this for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
rseater wrote:
The important difference, to me, is that Domus Aurea is always avoidable, even without a Wall/Palisade. Just don't start buildings without adding material to them before the next Legion action. This can be by taking actions in pairs (usually possible by the time someone finished a 3-cost building).

I see it as preventing single craftsman or architect actions, but even that can be prevented by players if desired.

It's also possible that the legionary player won't want to demand a 1-cost material for their turn (in order to tear down a matching building) or won't have that material in their hand. I know that happened to me when I played Domus Aurea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Pyjam wrote:
I'm interrested to know your setup.

Here's mine. Cards removed:
Palissade
Bar
Archway, School
Wall, Vomitorium
Circus, Garden
Fountain, Plebeian Council

I admit to being fascinated by the idea of removing 30+ cards from the game.

Why do you remove those specific cards? Do you actually remove the cards (and therefore the clients and materials) or do you play with them and just don't count the building powers?

If you remove them entirely, does that not unbalance your game? You now have significantly less Craftmen (you removed 12 of them) compared to other clients. I'm curious how that affects building since you now have twice as many Architects. You also have a third less Laborers, which makes using Architect harder, unless you use Legionary since you only remove three.

And you removed no Merchants and only three Patrons but since you also removed almost half of the cheap buildings it would take longer to get enough influence to use them.

So many questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A good analysis of why you shouldn't butcher the game with house rules. House rules like the republic edition. Ick.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andy,

Did you understand that I replaced these cards by those ones ?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/107998/glory...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Pyjam wrote:
Hi Andy,

Did you understand that I replaced these cards by those ones ?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/107998/glory...

You can't add them back in equal numbers though. There are only six Craftman promo cards, and if you add the entire pack you add even more Patron and Merchant and Architecture compared to Craftman and Laborer.

I'm not trying to say you're playing it wrong, but I am curious how that changes your game compared to using Imperium rules and cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, Andy, but you're wrong.
I replace each set of clients by the same number of clients.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Pyjam wrote:
I'm sorry, Andy, but you're wrong.
I replace each set of clients by the same number of clients.

Can you point me to my error?

- You remove twelve Craftman cards (6 Palisade and 6 Circus)
- You add six Craftman promo cards (6 Domus)

So you're still missing 6 Craftman cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh sorry, I removed the Circus Maximus.
I made the mistake because we don't play with the Circus either. We're using the Republic rules. So we play the Crane instead.

Updated configuration. Cards removed:
Palissade
Bar
Archway, School
Wall, Vomitorium
Circus Maximus, Garden
Stairway, Plebeian Council
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see why people playing with the baby rules might find the game lacking.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Jamet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fail to see any relation between the subject of your disdain and a proposal for the integration of the promo cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.