Popular Tags: [View All]
Denver Le Roux
South Africa
Cape Town
South Africa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. My regular gaming group played this for the first time recently. They enjoyed it in the beginning but got bored with it as it took us six hours to play. Any tips on how to speed the game up for next time? We have played other games without this problem. BSG, Urban Sprawl, Eclipse, even Twilight Imperium. I was dracula and won the game with 13 health still. I planned my turns in advance it just felt like forever to get to six vampires...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vir0 wrote:
Hi guys. My regular gaming group played this for the first time recently. They enjoyed it in the beginning but got bored with it as it took us six hours to play. Any tips on how to speed the game up for next time? We have played other games without this problem. BSG, Urban Sprawl, Eclipse, even Twilight Imperium. I was dracula and won the game with 13 health still. I planned my turns in advance it just felt like forever to get to six vampires...

6 vampires or 6 points??? I thought each new day you scored a point. It has been awhile since I played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game usually has a lot of rules look up. Second, I love this game but try to not play with more than three. One Dracula and two people playing two hunters. I find that with 4 people the discussions on where to go slow the game down and also make it along time before your turn.

With two players playing the hungers, they get to go pretty soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - you missed up there, it's 6 VPs with a vamp scoring 2 and surviving a day 1. But the Hunters must have been pretty damn useless if in a game taking twice as long you only lost a couple of blood surprise laugh.
And if you have Hunters that take forever to take/plan their turns then your group is the wrong type for this game - we've never had problems with four players for the hunters, if the Hunters can't agree so what just do your turn anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, FoD can run long. I agree with the commenter above: play with 2 or 3. I don't think there's enough to do for someone playing a single hunter. And the discussing and hemming and hawing do slow down an already long game.

I played a 5 player game recently, and it went about 5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys must have too many euro players in your groups - we have different 5-player groups and 3.5 hours has probably been our longest, and that was with a 'runner' Dracula. It really isn't for those that like to plan & procrastinate, then it does drag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denver Le Roux
South Africa
Cape Town
South Africa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume I got the rules right.

Day = 1 Vamp
Killed Hunter = 2 Vamps
Matured Bride = 2 Vamps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denver Le Roux
South Africa
Cape Town
South Africa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I know what made it so long that I look back at it retrospectively. The hunters did not play aggressively enough. They knew my catacomb locations but decided not to kill them, thus when they had me cornered I could double back very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blown Cover
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this twice. The first time our 3 players were all new to the game, and had some looking up of rules. Dracula won with a bride, a defeated hunter and 3 days passed. Playing time: 4 hours, 20 minutes.

The second time, we had 4 players, 2 experienced from the first game but swapping roles to hunter and Dracula. Dracula won with a defeated hunter and 4 days passed (and lots of time at sea). Playing time: 4 hours 20 minutes.

I'm starting to feel that's how long the game is. I can imagine a very slick experienced group playing in three hours, but I can't imagine how a game could last 6 hours. Any other views?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blowncover wrote:
I've played this twice. The first time our 3 players were all new to the game, and had some looking up of rules. Dracula won with a bride, a defeated hunter and 3 days passed. Playing time: 4 hours, 20 minutes.

The second time, we had 4 players, 2 experienced from the first game but swapping roles to hunter and Dracula. Dracula won with a defeated hunter and 4 days passed (and lots of time at sea). Playing time: 4 hours 20 minutes.

I'm starting to feel that's how long the game is. I can imagine a very slick experienced group playing in three hours, but I can't imagine how a game could last 6 hours. Any other views?

Post four hours is still a longer than usual game, but it all just comes down to playing style. If you have a Dracula player who just wants to win no matter the effect on the game and just runs and runs and hides (as per your second game) then you will have long games - and possibility not that interesting, I definitely would stop playing it if the Dracula players just ran and hid most of the game. Dracula seldom wins in our games as we all just want to be sneaky (follow the Hunters around waiting to attack) and aggressive (and sometime plain dumb) - the last time I won as Drac was through pure luck, I managed (through trying to be a smartass) to get surrounded in Eastern Europe and was attacked by all four Hunters but the dice god came to my rescue and I won all four getting enough bites to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Blowncover wrote:

The game will tend to get quicker as you get to know it. Two games really isn't enough to grasp all the possibilities and permutations. And note that your second game lasted 4 days (plus lots of time at sea) compared to the 3 days of the first game, yet took the same actual play time. That means you were in fact playing faster, and you'll probably get faster again in future.

Also, Dracula typically takes longer to win than the hunters, because time is on his side. By which I mean that they could potentially kill him fairly quickly, but he will probably find it too risky to try to chase a quick victory; it's usually better for him to bide his time and gain points from the passing days.

If the hunter players are slow (e.g if they're inexperienced or not very focussed) and if Dracula is having trouble maturing vampires or defeating hunters, the game could last 6 hours. But it would be very unusual. I'd estimate the "normal" maximum is probably about 4.5-5 hours, and 3 is more typical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blown Cover
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Dangerous Partners

I've got to give our Dracula his due - he really wasn't playing negatively. He went for an early attack on Mina, and we were hot on his trail for the rest of the game. That led to the hunters not drawing any event cards in fear of Evasion, and just not being able to kill the beast despite quite a few faceoffs, including four hunter attacks in a row . He dropped several baby vamps but we got them all. It was an exciting game but still turned out long. That's why I got the impression about the length - the hunters were almost never clueless.

BTW I also played a variant as a teaching game for a new hunter. 2 players, no events, no encounters, fast train always available and all items available. It played out in an hour - quite fun, but much less dramatic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine Fury of Dracula ever taking longer than Twilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.