Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan W
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We set up the map according to the scenario that comes with RttFF, but then ditched the rest of the scenario rules, drafted 500 point armies, random glyph draw, and decided to have a last man standing battle.

I went with Izumi Samurai, Ne-Gok-Sa, Su-Bak-Na, Raelin the Kyrie Warrior, and Airborne Elite.

My opponent with with Taelord the Kyrie Warrior, Minions of Utgar, Venoc Vipers, Khosumet the Darklord, Anubian Wolves and Krug

At the start it looked like I was going to get hammered. Between the champion bonding and sure strength of his army, plus the fact that I did not start with the Airborne Rangers on the board, I thought there was going to be real trouble. Right away, his vipers swarmed down the river and capture two of the glyphs: Defense+1 and Initiative+8.

But then I got Raelin on top of the bridge, where I found a Defense+2. My samurai went under the bridge, and neutralized one of the Vipers and stole the Initiative+8. At this point, Raelin was defending the bridge from the Wolves, but also using Defensive Aura, so some of my figures were rolling up to 10 defense dice. This really helped the Samurai with counter strike, causing some severe damage to Taelord.

Finally, a side battle had developed between Krug, Ne-Gok-Sa and Su-Bak-Na. I kept trying to Mind Shackle Krug, but it wasn't happening. Finally, Krug powered up to Attack 6, and hammered Ne-Gok-Sa. Luckily, Su-Bak-Na was able to get in a hard attack, taking Krug out of the game without him reaching full Attack power.

It was still a tight game, but then I rolled 13 and the Airborne rangers finally dropped in around round 6 or 7. Since they were the only army with range, they all dropped in on high ground, did a grenade attack, and then just sniped at enemy units for the rest of the game.

In the end, my opponent was down to Khosument, and one Minion, which I quickly cleaned off the map. I had only lost Ne-Gok-Sa, one Samurai, and one airborne ranger.

A couple of notes: I always find that armies with high defense can make or break the game. Adding in all of the defense bonuses for the Glyph and Raelin, it was extremely had for my opponent to make a dent in my forces.

Also, I still question the value of squads. It seems like a single powerful character can outplay a squad every time, since the squads have to attack individually with weak attacks, while the unique characters can defend heavily each attack. My friend had an interesting idea of letting adjacent squad units roll all of their attack dice together, much like the Roman Archers.

All in all, a fun session, and my opponent (a first time player and not necessarily a gamer) really enjoyed the game, even though he was crushed.

Note: I realize the card for Taelord says 180 points, so my opponent could not have drafted the above army. I have a house rule that says Taelord is really only worth 80. His stats do not justify 180 at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laudemar gonzalez
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Taelord only worth 80 points??? That's insane! I'd draft him absolutely every time! I'd draft Taelord and three squads of Minions of Utgar and I'd still have enough left over for the Marrden Hounds or the Shaolin Monks or something. That army would be unbeatable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bowie
Spain
Inca
Baleares
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taelord deserves those 180 points.

A powerful guy who flies, has disengage when he starts to fly (as the designers explained), and has some powerful abilities that affect other figures, deserves 180 points.

Juanjo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan W
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I still don't get it.

First, Raelin has the same stats except 1 *more* move point, and a +2 to defense (instead of +1 to attack) within the same range, yet she only costs 80 points. So the only thing that makes Taelord better is that he can leave engagements. Is that really worth 100 more points?

Second, the minion special power affects any Kyrie warrior, not just Taelord. So why not grab Raelin and the minions rather than Taelord?

Third, I creamed my opponent, even though he had Taelord for only 80 points. Can't be that powerful.

I'm just not seeing the 100 extra point justification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.