Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I played my first game of this as the US player. I knew full-well that I would probably die, and by the end of the 3rd turn...my time was up. Clearly this is going to cost me if I don't delete this post before I run for president...

My initial setup was, indeed, pretty horrible. I let a lot of otherwise good units die. Not that I lost any bombers to enemy ground troops, bad... but I did lose quite a few hover tanks and helicopters to the initial onslaught.

So what I'm thinking is loading up the shores with grunts and watching them die, and then seeing where I could go from there.

Is that what everyone generally does, playing as the US?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Strategy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to put slow and less-valuable units on the coastal cities, with the faster and more valuable units further back. However, I do try to set things up in such a way that I can threaten a good-sized attack against at least several cities (Washington, Los Angeles, New Orleans) to prevent the Invader from thinking too lightly about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Reece
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
I want to lose 2 hovertanks and 2 helicopters on the first turn. The rest of the boarder cities will be filled up with mech and infantry.

The key is to concentrate bombers, helipoters and tanks with a few infantry to smash invader stacks at 3:1 odds or better.

Use your lasers to do the following

#1 take back cities. If you have a reinforcement show up next to a city with only 1 defender or if you have 3 show up next to a city with 2 defenders, you can probably take it back if your laser hits.
Bombers can also be used like this, but they have a much shorter range then lasers do.

#2 kill red bombers
#3 kill blue bombers
#4 kill red helicopters and/or tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is most certainly some strategy to loose a few hovertanks and heli's early on. It would be quite frustrating to draw reinforcement cards for which you don't have the pieces in your stockpile. On the other hand, there are not so many reinforcement cards that give you heli's and even less that give you bombers (only one card gives you bombers) so its always a tricky thing to loose good units early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
A feq more points about Mobile/Hover in your coastal cities:

1) You don't have enough Infantry to use the exclusively in ALL your front-line cities. It's important to keep some Infantry scattered throughout in order to guarantee Combined Arms where necessary.

2) Infantry only kill Infantry. Put some Mechanized in the front line gives you a chance to eliminate a few of the Invaders' fast units, slowing down his advance. Plus, putting a Nech unit in a city means the Attacker needs to use at least 2 Mech units in order to guarantee Combined Arms.

3) Pair a Mobile with an Infantry in the cities that are often ignored in the first round. The Transport ability allow you to reposition those troops (if not attacked) more quickly to counterattack or simply to form the Thin Green Line that is so critical in the West.

4) The White Die. Hovers hit more than Infantry. Let them do their job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.