Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I've got about $100 to spend. The choices are this:

One order where I order Alien Frontiers and the Factions Expansion ($60 and $30 respectively, sold by Game Salute via Amazon, so free shipping which works out to be the same as buying from Game Salute and paying shipping.) For $15 more I can throw in the #1 expansion, making my total $105.

Or I can make an order through CSI for Lords of Waterdeep, Seasons, and Escape: Curse of the Temple, and throw in either Love Letter or the King of Tokyo expansion to put me over the free shipping threshold. (So roughly a $110 order.)

I guess what I'm asking is this: Is Alien Frontiers awesome enough to justify that kind of price tag or would I be better served by getting 3 or four games, rather than just one? It looks cool and fun and like something I would enjoy, but the price tag is really high considering what else I can get for that kind of money. But if it's just that freaking awesome...

So, which would you go with and why? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Alien Frontiers, but I don't consider it worth $100. That said, I'm not a fan of any of the games in your other "choice".

So, I'd get Alien Frontiers if those were my choices, but I'd pick out an order with different games if it was my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection, I'd get Agricola + Goodies expansion for that kinda scratch

Seriously, two big, good games would be much more my preference. Instead of Escape from Cursed Temple, why not the similar yet deeper Space Alert + expansion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers is ok, but not that awesome. Go for the three or four games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers is my current favorite game and Factions makes it even more fun. The expansion pack only gives you one additional faction (not a very good one I might add), so it's not really worth the money.

There's a lot of replay value with just the base game, so buying another game like Lords of Waterdeep to go with it might be a better option. You can always pick up the Factions expansion later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get Alien Frontiers. I'd only get the factions expansion if 'playing with 5 people instead of just 4' has appeal. Instead, I'd get Love Letter as well (9.99) and Navegador (46.23).

Of the games you listed, Lords of Waterdeep, Seasons, and Escape: Curse of the Temple and King of Tokyo I have played all of them, and own only one -- Seasons -- which I think is an ok game, but was a huge recent hit with others at the gaming society. So it lives there now, where those who love it more than I do get to play it. We'll see if they continue to want to play it this Spring -- lots of them like anything as long as it is new, but get tired of games quickly. Lords of Waterdeep was hot with them last spring, but it hasn't lasted. I didn't care enough about the other games to even consider purchasing them. If, as life works out, I never ever play a game of them again, it will be fine with me -- I don't think they are all that special. Glad the gaming society has them, will play if somebody particularly wants to, but won't go out of my way for it.

If something happened to my copy of Alien Frontiers, I would buy another in an instant. The only thing that kept me from buying a copy last year when I first ran into the game, in the BGG marketplace, for price is no object, whatever somebody was asking for it was the knowledge that a reprint was coming soon (and that I could play the game at the gaming society in the meanwhile). It is the game that I have borrowed and taken home the most of the thousands of games there, by a long shot.

A good many games I have purchased because they'd be good to have around the house, or because I was curious about something, or because they are a favourite of somebody who comes over to my house from time to time. Alien Frontiers I got because I wanted it -- it was that simple.

It is also the game I have had the most fun with when playing with the widest variety of people -- from children to grandparents, gamers who want something to do while we wait for the other table to finish (Love Letter is doing very well with this, also) and non-gamers who would like me to teach them a board game. It's still a favourite at the gaming society, even with people who mostly only like new things.

There have been times when I have thought 'hmm, I have already played this six times this week, let's play something else, I am getting a little tired of this', but in about a week or so, I am perfectly happy to play it again. Thus, I have already got several orders of magnitude more joy out of the game than I have out of all the rest of your list combined. Indeed, thinking about this note as I wrote it, I was astonished at how much joy I have got out of this game -- so much so that if I had to rate 'games: most joy, lifetime' -- well, it wouldn't win, but for a game I have only known for a year and a half, it is generating a very impressive score. For joy/(time I have known it) it may be my all time winner. This is despite the fact that there are many games I like more than AF. They just don't get played nearly as often.

Any chance you have to play it, once, before you decide? I think that if you are going to like it as much as I do, you will be able to tell after only one play. Feel free to ask me anything about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll throw in with the Alien Frontiers naysayers. It's an interesting concept, but personally I was bored with it 1/2 way through my first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
After looking at your collection and your 9 and 10 ranked games it sounds like you should go with the 4-5 games over AF.

AF can be interesting and it's a cool theme, but it's prone to AP and there's a major bash the leader problem. It's definitely not a buy without playing type of game IMO - given the price. Your other choices seem more like your kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the assist, all. I decided to leave Alien Frontiers alone for now. Maybe for my birthday, later. For now I went with:

Lords of Waterdeep
Dungeon Petz
The King of Tokyo expansion
Escape: Curse of the Temple
Eruption (something to play over the holiday with less-gamery relatives).

I'm going to hold off on Seasons for now, too. I'm really wondering how much staying power that one might have so I'll let it get a bit older and see if people are still liking it in a few months.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
Thanks for the assist, all. I decided to leave Alien Frontiers alone for now. Maybe for my birthday, later. For now I went with:

Lords of Waterdeep
Dungeon Petz
The King of Tokyo expansion
Escape: Curse of the Temple
Eruption (something to play over the holiday with less-gamery relatives).

I'm going to hold off on Seasons for now, too. I'm really wondering how much staying power that one might have so I'll let it get a bit older and see if people are still liking it in a few months.

Thanks again!

Can't fault your decisions (except the lack of Agricola, shame!). Nice choices!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.