Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently, I made the remark that this game was tough enough without having to worry about the extra points for creating loops to your destinations. Don said you would need an IQ of 189 to do well in this game. You see, whenever we play this game, it's pretty cut throat, and people are getting cut off all the time. I'm not particularly good at this game, but I've always harbored the secret hope that I can create enough loops for a win. I'm a bit of a masochist that way, but I needed to prove to myself it was possible. Recently, I had created 4 loops, but lost by something like 17 pts.

In this game, I was dealt Bhopal-Calcutta (6), Ahmadhabad-Calicut (7), Jarhat-Bombay (13) and Delhi-Indur (9). My first good decision was to throw away the Delhi-Indur ticket, since Indur can be difficult to get in, since it is in the middle of the board, and only two ways in, without really creating much opportunity to loop.

Player order was Don, Jean and myself. It definitely doesn't help to go last in a TTR game.

Jean built Mormugau to Poona, while I eventually laid down 3 track from Ahmadabad to Bombay. I then connected to Bhopal through Kandwa, cutting off Jean in the process, but he managed to continue to go north. Don was building north of me from Agra to Katni to Patna. While collecting cards, I built to Jarhat from Dhubri and Calcutta. It took me a while to get 4 yellow to build from Bilaspur to Calcutta.

Meanwhile the south end to Calicut was clogged, so I had to save up two ferries and four cards to eventually go from Bombay to Calicut. My heart lept when Don had laid down 2 ferries and 4 cards earlier, but he was going from Karachi to Bombay.

When I drew three more tickets, I kept Katni-Waltain (5) and Calcutta-Erode (9). So now, I cut across to Erode from Calicut and wound my way north to Madras and Waltain. I had to lay down 1 track from Katni to Balispur to make the Katnai-Waltain ticket. I then competed my big loop around the board, when I completed Waltain to Calcutta.

As the game wound down,I built from Chittagong to Jarhat, declared the last turn, and with my last two trains, placed from Chittagong to Calcutta. This would give me a loop for my Jarhat-Bombay ticket. Don put down 8 track from Calcutta to Madras that didn't connect anywhere to his line, but gave him 21 pts .

I had four loops. The only ticket that didn't loop was Katni-Waltain. So this was good for 30 pts.

Scores: Norbert 145 (40 tickets, 10 longest train, 30 loops, 65 trains), Don 120 (44 tickets 5 tickets), 76 trains), Jean 95 (55 (7 tickets), 40 train).

The way the games were going, I wasn't sure if I was ever going to be achieve the loops. But it sure felt good - I almost did a fist pump, but held back. Ghandhi wouldn't have approved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading your session reports is always pure pleasure...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.