Subject: Trying to remember a game from my past, description within rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Birt
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
EDIT: Solved below by DaveD.

Wasn't sure where to post this; sorry if it's in the wrong spot!

I'm trying to remember the name of a game which was loosely based on the Middle Earth world. These are all the details I remember; the game would be at least 30 years old, maybe 35.

The board was just heavy paper, iirc, not an actual "board". It was very colorful; each "nation" had it's own background color. It was divided into hexagons. I think each nation's leader (and it's "first lady"? I seem to remember the Orc King and his wife looked like sea Monkeys) were represented on white cards that were about 5" x 8". These cards were matched with different "personality" cards that determined how each country would react to diplomacy.

Gameplay consisted of attempting to get other nations (like I said, it sort of reflected Middle Earth...I think there was a Mordor, Elves, Orcs (or Goblins), Dwarves, various tribes of men, etc.) to join you through diplomacy. There were cards that you drew that could assist you in diplomacy. The goal was to conquer Middle Earth.

Does that ring a bell for anyone? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
United States
Seattle Area
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No idea, but looking through the database, there is a diplomacy middle earth game:

War of the Ring: The Game of Middle Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure it was actually Middle Earth and not some other fantasy world? Because it sounds a bit like Divine Right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Ravenscroft
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Apart from the diplomacy aspect, it sounds rather like SPI's War of the Ring that came out in 1977. It's a hex and counter game, with character cards, the drawings on some of which were inadvertently hilarious. At the time it was the best fantasy boardgame around. Using a similar game engine, there was also the much sought-after Swords & Sorcery, which is well worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Birt
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
DaveD wrote:
Are you sure it was actually Middle Earth and not some other fantasy world? Because it sounds a bit like Divine Right.

I was not sure it was M.E. per se, and I guess I should have made that clearer, but you are right, it was Divine Right. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.