Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So my wife and I were just given the Star Trek deck builder game. My question is for people who play multiple Deck Builder games. Branding aside are there significant differences between them, orif you play one have you pretty much played them all? Not asking which are better just how are they different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
They do vary a good bit:
- whether every player has identical starting decks or not
- whether players buy from stacks of cards (Dominion) or from a dynamic "hall" (Ascension)
- whether the goal is more of a race (Dominion) or more confrontational (Nightfall)
- even the medium used (cards are most common, but others use dice such as Quarrriors or chips such as Puzzle Strike)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played the Marvel Legendary game, Thunderstone Advance, Friday, Dominion, and Mage Knight.

Mage Knight had deckbuilding as a very small part of it and shouldn't be counted. It's appeal (and there is much) lies elsewhere

I found TS Advance and Legendary to be quite similar. I hear Legendary is even more similar to Ascension but I find the deckbuilding clunky and dull in both. I'm sure deckbuilder aficionados would tell you the games give very different experiences but I find them quite similar.

Dominion is quick and sweet and works well.

Friday has the best deckbuilding mechanic I've ever played. This is a game that does it the right way.

Games that should be looked into: Nightfall, A Few Acres of Snow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deckbuilding, like mechanics before it, has moved on from being the whole game.

Dominion was just deck building.

Nightfall took it further to a vicious attack everyone game.

Core Worlds, Mage Knight, and a Few Acres of Snow took it further and it's just a mechanic in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
So my wife and I were just given the Star Trek deck builder game. My question is for people who play multiple Deck Builder games. Branding aside are there significant differences between them, orif you play one have you pretty much played them all? Not asking which are better just how are they different?
It depends... I have yet to play ST dbg, but I have seen plays of it and references of "this is basically a Silver" in ref. to Dom.

I've played Dom., THunderstone, Ascension, PUzzle Strike, Eminent DOmain, Core WOrlds, Quarriors, and perhaps a couple more I'm missing....

They all have multiple "currencies", but separate them out in different ways...

Dom has coins which are very important, but the +cards work hand in hand with that, as do +actions, and +buys help enhance the +coins. THey often need to be used in sufficient #s and combos.

TS has gold, attk, str, light, and mag. attk, +cards, but bypasses the +actions.

PS has +actions that are specific to other chips... +1 action works for all actions, but +1 action only lets you play red actions.

Then you have games like CW where you can discard any # of cards during your cleanup

In short, it's a subjective topic, but for some people... all of the above will be the same dang thing. For others, it's quite different. And we haven't even delved into theme yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
agashamirv wrote:
Deckbuilding, like mechanics before it, has moved on from being the whole game.

Dominion was just deck building.

Nightfall took it further to a vicious attack everyone game.

Core Worlds, Mage Knight, and a Few Acres of Snow took it further and it's just a mechanic in the game.

I like to nitpick ,

but Deckbuilding started as a sub-mechanic in Starcraft: tbg.
Then it became the full game in Dominion.
Now it's going back to it's roots as a sub-mechanic in the few games you mentionned.

I just like to give credit where it's due. Dominion didn't invent deckbuilding, it just made it popular. Corey K. (i believe) from FFG first used it in his design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.