Subject: How many turns in a VQ match? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Tamburrino
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
Hi all,
I have played VQ 4 times (all 6-players campaing scenario matches). The game always ended at the end of turn 3 or in turn 4, twice with a 25 VP victory, once with a french religious victory and once with a conquest victory (all keys in the map). We never enjoied the late turns stuff, such as Armada, Portugal, English religious battles, informants, ...

Is it so much difficoult to see a campaign scenario match end in late turns?

Could the number of turns increase with experienced players (due to more balance among powers)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MaxPow wrote:
Could the number of turns increase with experienced players (due to more balance among powers)?

A number of early finishes would be the result of one or more players making poor decisions (or simply having really bad fortune) so I would think the quality of play would influence the length of the game. I have only anecdotal evidence to base that on, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3-4 turns is about right for a finish. However, more experienced players will see the signs of an early victory and tend to gang up on the leader, which lengthens the game. In extreme examples the other players will form a 'lynch mob', declaring war on the leading power, playing cards to assassinate his leaders, curtail his patronage, steal his cards, etc...

ninja

Philip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's been winning? Between the Valois VP and the Paris VP, it's very easy for France to rack up points fast if they're marrying off royalty too cheaply. England can slow down Spain by pirating treasures away from it. The Protestant must build up an adequate cushion of Protestant spaces - say at least 20 - and not let the unrest accumulate to stave off early religious automatic victories by France or Spain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McKenzie
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't had a game go more than 4 turns in a while.

The French have won the most, but that counts my first few games, where the French won a lot.

Ottoman's and Protestants have had the fewest wins in my games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smckenzie wrote:
I haven't had a game go more than 4 turns in a while.

The French have won the most, but that counts my first few games, where the French won a lot.

Ottoman's and Protestants have had the fewest wins in my games.

It's very easy for the French to win if all other players are distracted doing something else. In order to reduce those French wins, someone really has to go after France.

If you're the French player, the best strategy is to ensure that everyone is fighting everyone else and all you have to do is wait out the clock until your marriages, patronage, and Paris control win the game for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game went to turn 5 I think. Gunpowder plot victory.

France had Henri III assassinated and little co-operation with his other marriages...also Spain took Marseilles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Delaric wrote:

That's funny, I just read this same tip for HRE strategy. I think the only power that can't possibly go under the radar are Spain and Protestant

I haven't figured out how to win as the Protestant yet. The only thig is see to do is be very agressive from the outset and maintain the pressure throughout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.