18 Posts

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions regarding quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harsha Rao
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hi everyone.. Played the game for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed it.

I have 2 questions regarding quests actually and was wondering if someone could assist in answering them.

1. Does a player have to place an Agent in the cliff water inn to complete an active quest? For example if I picked up a quest and I now have the resources to complete it do I have to assign my Agent back to the inn to complete the quest or can it be done anywhere without returning?

2. What happens to all the unfinished quests a player has accumulated? Are they discarded at the end of the game or are players penalised for incomplete quests?

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks and have a nice day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to go anywhere to complete a quest. You can just do it after any placement.

There is no penalty for unfinished quests at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Platt
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
STOP POKING MEEEE!
badge
This is not my pokerface... I'm just really dull.
mbmbmbmbmb
To additionally clarify, in case you're thinking of just sitting on quests to say, "Surprise, I win": You can complete one quest per turn. Moving an agent from the Harbor to another location counts as a separate turn from its original placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harsha Rao
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hi yes I read about that rule somewhere on the site. Unfortunately when we played yesterday we didn't know and only allowed one quest to be completed per round. Oh well the next time is gonna be a lot more progressive I think

Thanks for the information nonetheless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harsha Rao
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Ah great.. Thanks for the clarification. So I guess there can be a quest hoarding strategy in this situation since there is no maximum amount of quests one can hold? Unless I'm mistaken here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkelf2099 wrote:
Ah great.. Thanks for the clarification. So I guess there can be a quest hoarding strategy in this situation since there is no maximum amount of quests one can hold? Unless I'm mistaken here

Sort of, but remember Mandatory Quests are a thing.

When experienced players play, most quests completed in the first few rounds will be Plot Quests with ongoing benefits. Midgame there is usually a push for resources followed by big-point quests in the endgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkelf2099 wrote:

You could horde quests but you would probably lose. Taking a placement to get a quest you are not going to complete is a waste of a placement. There are plenty of other quests to get and people will get valuable resources while your wasting your move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harsha Rao
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hi,
Another quick question that came across my mind.

Whenever someone build a building and a slot on the building pool becomes empty, do you guys automatically immediately add a new building from the deck or do you leave it empty till the next round begins? Currently we have been replenishing them immediately but not sure if that is the right way to go about it?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules (bold mine):
After you purchase a Building, immediately draw the top tile of the Building stack and place it face-up on the vacated space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, every answer I've needed about the game has been in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkelf2099 wrote:
Hi everyone.. Played the game for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed it.

I have 2 questions regarding quests actually and was wondering if someone could assist in answering them.

1. Does a player have to place an Agent in the cliff water inn to complete an active quest? For example if I picked up a quest and I now have the resources to complete it do I have to assign my Agent back to the inn to complete the quest or can it be done anywhere without returning?

2. What happens to all the unfinished quests a player has accumulated? Are they discarded at the end of the game or are players penalised for incomplete quests?

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks and have a nice day

Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with these questions? You would practically have to inject rules into the game that aren't even there just to have these make sense. I'm not trying to be rude; I am simply curious how your mind works and why you thought someone would need to go to the inn to complete quests or whether quests might count against you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harsha Rao
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Hi,
Well after reading the entire rule book, watching a few how to play videos on YouTube and finally getting into the game and teaching 2 other players we played about 2 games. At the end of the 2 sessions these questions came up and as you mentioned neither of these requirements that we assumed existed are stated in the rule book which got us thinking if there was something we missed. The question about penalising uncompleted quests came up when one person kept taking quests but never ended up finishing most of them.

As for the question regarding the need to go to the inn to compete the quest, we just assumed it was natural to go back to the location you acquired the quest to complete them ( bad example but think of RPG games where u need to go back to an NPC after completing a quest to get the rewards.) The rule book as far as I can remember right now does not mention that you need to go back to the inn nor does it say you don't need to go back to the inn to complete quests.

I am truly sorry if I wasted anyone's time in making you guys answer ridiculous questions which are already addressed in the rule book but we were just worried that we missed something in the rules and were playing the game wrongly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkelf2099 wrote:
Hi,
Well after reading the entire rule book, watching a few how to play videos on YouTube and finally getting into the game and teaching 2 other players we played about 2 games. At the end of the 2 sessions these questions came up and as you mentioned neither of these requirements that we assumed existed are stated in the rule book which got us thinking if there was something we missed. The question about penalising uncompleted quests came up when one person kept taking quests but never ended up finishing most of them.

As for the question regarding the need to go to the inn to compete the quest, we just assumed it was natural to go back to the location you acquired the quest to complete them ( bad example but think of RPG games where u need to go back to an NPC after completing a quest to get the rewards.) The rule book as far as I can remember right now does not mention that you need to go back to the inn nor does it say you don't need to go back to the inn to complete quests.

I am truly sorry if I wasted anyone's time in making you guys answer ridiculous questions which are already addressed in the rule book but we were just worried that we missed something in the rules and were playing the game wrongly.

General tip is if it's not in the rules, it's not something you need to do. I can at least understand the reasoning behind the quests needing to be completed at the Inn, but the one about a penalty for incomplete quests threw me for a loop. Must be video game logic taking over. I see where you're coming from now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkelf2099 wrote:

Even ridiculous questions don't really waste the time of anyone that doesn't want to answer them. I do think that players should read the rulebook and check previous threads to see if their questions are answered, but if someone says something like "this is answered in the rulebook," or "there are a hundred threads on this," try to take it as constructive criticism and don't be offended. Most of the time, even the "forum police" aren't trying to actively make you feel bad, just trying to encourage efficient question asking and answering.

If you checked the rulebook and don't see any other threads that answer your question, ask away, even if it seems like a silly question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed! I hope I didn't make you feel bad! I just like to say when something IS in the rulebook, so you know I'm not just making stuff up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harsha Rao
Malaysia
flag msg tools
oriecat wrote:
Agreed! I hope I didn't make you feel bad! I just like to say when something IS in the rulebook, so you know I'm not just making stuff up.

Not at all... I very much appreciate the honesty and also the time everyone took to answer these questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you play more there are a few situations that come up that are not clear in the rules.

The official FAQ is here.

http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2233

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Archbold
United Kingdom
Kingston-upon-Thames
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about asking questions, most of us have thoroughly read rules, only to discover, many games later, that we've been playing it wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.