Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this at official demo for Essen & loved it and bought it. Like many of my games in which I was taught rules, I tend to continue playing & teaching the way I was taught without reading rules entirely. However, it is now only after a few games that I have realised, I have been playing a main portion of game, entirely wrongly, based on how I was shown game at Essen.

Essentially (like it has been discussed in this thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/855261/intrigue-phase ) we were taught to play Intrigue phase with each player playing a card/actions & then next player in many rounds instead of correct rule of each player entirely finishing all their actions before next player.

Now, all previous games we have all enjoyed game doing it the 1 action each manner as the 'gamer' in me like psychology of playing each card in turn. Now, as other thread pointed out, it may prolong the game but also like as learnt at Essen, we also tend to play start from 5 to 7 points instead of from 1 for a shorter, yet still very enjoyable game.

So, am curious why we were taught this way at official Essen demo when clearly rules are completely different. Was it intentional to allow reduced down time? Or just a misunderstanding of rules by demo people?

Also, do many others also start at mid-point level? A new to game player suggested starting at 1 but having say 6-8 as target winning score instead since it encourage even more negotiation to share in supporting Intrigue cost of mid-range like 5-6. Will try that next time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
I also played in a demo at SPIEL '12 and have since taught my group that we play 1 Scheme and/or Cash in 1 card each in turn order, with the Intrigue Phase not ending until each player has passed.

So far we have only played with a starting Influence of 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we prefer playing as stated in the rules; each player completes his/her entire intrigue phase and then we move on to the next player...this also is a bit of a disadvantage to the host (who has to "intrigue" first), and to us that helps offset some of the rather large advantage of being the host...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. We have always played it as the rules stated. I suspect at the demo, they just wanted to give each demo-er a quick chance to play cards/a card. Clearly, as the above posted stated, the rules intend to put the host at a disadvantage during the following intrigue phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teik Chooi Oh
United Kingdom
Chorley
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will try as rules meant to be in our next game. Host still disadvantaged by Essen rules as he plays first & also 'finish' last if equal or less cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
You just picked up the host marker in an auction, now you gain an influence for hosting the games. You then pick out 2 gladiators to fight perhaps taking as a bribe. After the fight you play the Gods and part cheeks as one waits for your thumb, again perhaps taking for favors. You very possibly won good on your selection in the arena which you set up. Now it is the intrigue phase and you go first scheming against all others repeatedly. Finally after many many minutes you are vulnerable and time for you to spread cheeks and face the wrath of your doings or undoings. I believe the rules as written best represent the TV series and should remain as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Maxx
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've actually played last game as kind of a free for all-- 1,2,3, pick up your cards and go. It's a bit frenetic-- but pretty fun - and it is fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwake
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to know that my group hasn't completely been playing this phase wrong. According to this we have been playing it the "Essen" intrigue phase going in play order. It does add to the psychology and length of the game. Is there any argument against this method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.