13 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: What is a good size to print for a playmat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
What is a good size to print for a playmat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The official size for tournaments is 3'x3'. So that's a good starting point. 4'x4' though is good if you intend to do more than 100pt games.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
what dose 3x3 mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Joyce
United States
Diamond Bar
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He means 3 feet by 3 feet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
ahh thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, the single quote is short for 'foot', so 3'x3' is a "3 foot by 3 foot" dimension (i.e. size of the playing mat).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
i would take a 4´x4´fabric playmat ... i have ordered mine 5days ago and can hardly wait to show it.

i used http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/99aiirfe1y/3x3_...

i am so excited to get my hand on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
MNM79 wrote:
i would take a 4´x4´fabric playmat ... i have ordered mine 5days ago and can hardly wait to show it.

I think I will make a 122cm (slightly larger than 4 foot)

I also plan to make it in 4 sectional squares rather than a single vinyl playmat. The temptation to roll it up after a game and other things will imo make it peel off the table, or bubble or have the corners curl. I think the way for me is to make it from heavy card, or heavy vunyl in 4 peaces that slot together.. much like a modern game board. This can then be stored easily with out ever rolling or folding or anything like that.

Thanks for the tips.

MNM79 wrote:

Yeah I have seen people using this but I really feel that it is to busy for me, once the ships are on it and also it kinda locks the theme of the game from space battle that can be anything you wish to imagine to a death star attack by the rebels. Personally i will be going with a generic space scene with a small amount of nebular.. but mostly stars. I will most likely place a light grid pattern and some cord values to the edges just for fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I wouldn't go 4' deep. Otherwise you are just wasting time getting to each other. Best to keep it around 3' deep. If you are making it sectional, going wider to 6' would be best. Just use 3' for standard games and increase it in size as you add more people per team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
well I am planning to have the 3 foot square marked on it as well, as I assume i will always be playing "regulation" but if we ever decide to play a massive battle at some point i think the extar room will be cool to just have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mb

This is my new Playmat.

size is 1 meter x 1 meter. Its a Textile playmat so really nice to transport but it wasn´t the cheapest investment whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
how do you store a 1x1m playmat? Is it stiff like a board.. or are you rolling it up like a poster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
you can fold it like a tablecloth or roll it like a poster.
The fabric is thick but not too stiff.
I will see if folding or rolling is the best storage solution but for now i´m extremly happy with the result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.