Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: How to flatten a playing mat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I purchased a playing mat of the standard, M:TG type. Since it was rolled up for months (maybe years) the mat refused to lay flat (it curled up at the short end edges). Therefor I rolled it out, placed some heavy books on top if it and waited for about 24 hours. After lifing up the books the mat immediately curled up again. Now I "counterrolled" it and intend to keep it so for 24 hours but I'm afraid the problem will not be solved. Is there another way of flattening a playing mat (ironing for instance)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rod humble

san francisco
Earth
msg tools
badge
I feel quite good about what happened
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A big bit of thin plexiglass. You can play your game on top of it while it is flattening. They are handy to have around for lots of game maps anyway so it would be a good investment for you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK you can also try to iron it. From the backside and on a low setting.

There is a geeklist about repairing boardgames, The Surgery: Board Game Repair Tips
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rodvik wrote:
A big bit of thin plexiglass. You can play your game on top of it while it is flattening. They are handy to have around for lots of game maps anyway so it would be a good investment for you.
I do own some plexiglass sheets of different sizes. I surely will try it if necessery though I bought the play mat to avoid playing a card game on plexiglass. Thanks for the advice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfram wrote:
AFAIK you can also try to iron it. From the backside and on a low setting.

There is a geeklist about repairing boardgames, The Surgery: Board Game Repair Tips
No useful advice in the geeklist for flattening a play mat but lots of other nice stuff to know. And (cautious) ironing a rubber mat is possible. Good to know, thanks for the input.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things I used to store rolled up I have now laminated. Sometimes that is enough. But sometimes I store my laminated maps rolled up, too. For that problem

I have a clipboard that clips top-and-bottom. Sort of like this one.




Grrrr. If somebody could take a look at this posting and explain to me why this image isn't showing up in the post, I would be most grateful. The external link I wanted to show is here:

http://www.pacenote.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/868/image...


http://www.pacenote.com/equipment/clipboards/waterproof-clip...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aber
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
Wolfram wrote:
AFAIK you can also try to iron it. From the backside and on a low setting.

There is a geeklist about repairing boardgames, The Surgery: Board Game Repair Tips
No useful advice in the geeklist for flattening a play mat but lots of other nice stuff to know. And (cautious) ironing a rubber mat is possible. Good to know, thanks for the input.


If you are going to try to iron, you might want to place a thin shirt/cloth of some kind over the mat to further reduce the heat. If it is a vinyl/rubber type mat, you could also use a hair dryer to apply the heat from a distance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Some things I used to store rolled up I have now laminated. Sometimes that is enough. But sometimes I store my laminated maps rolled up, too. For that problem

I have a clipboard that clips top-and-bottom. Sort of like this one.




Grrrr. If somebody could take a look at this posting and explain to me why this image isn't showing up in the post, I would be most grateful. The external link I wanted to show is here:

http://www.pacenote.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/868/image...


http://www.pacenote.com/equipment/clipboards/waterproof-clip...
Nice advice though a playing mat is a bit too large for this kind of clipboard. Besides that I think the clips will damage the playing mat. Thanks for your advice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
Avatar
mb
A playing mat?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan van der Laan wrote:
lacreighton wrote:
Some things I used to store rolled up I have now laminated. Sometimes that is enough. But sometimes I store my laminated maps rolled up, too. For that problem

I have a clipboard that clips top-and-bottom. Sort of like this one.




Grrrr. If somebody could take a look at this posting and explain to me why this image isn't showing up in the post, I would be most grateful. The external link I wanted to show is here:

http://www.pacenote.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/868/image...


http://www.pacenote.com/equipment/clipboards/waterproof-clip...
Nice advice though a playing mat is a bit too large for this kind of clipboard. Besides that I think the clips will damage the playing mat. Thanks for your advice.


I've got a larger one. But it is Swedish Military issue from 30 years ago, and I cannot find a good picture. Or whether it is made these days. The clips I have are specially designed to not damage -- I was worried a bit about that myself on the British car rally version I posted, though. But then I thought I would be getting a bit fiddly if I posted a warning about clip types ....

still want to know why my image did not come through. cry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
Kluvon wrote:
A playing mat?

What is, what do you call a gamer with no legs?
shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.