Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so i have lost five out of my first six games (won emergence 1 lost emergence one lost belly of the beast 4 times) and am trying to figure out what i am doing wrong in terms of rules or perhaps strategy?

In the heal step i draw two cards, then use one of them for a net gain of one card assuming i do not choose to activate an areas equipment, pick up a weapon token or revive a teammate.Opening a door does not require a token.

Rolling 2 offensive dice on the two defensive dice guys with one health seems like a good idea (based on the math you should kill them more often than not) and saving those bolo grenades also seems legit.

When you activate equipment you discard the card from the area in general, sometimes their are exceptions.

The use of a card in a guard fashion seems like a good idea if the attacker has at most three dice, otherwise a dodge is better.

Anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any rules problems.

How many COGs are you using? If you are using all four it gets pretty tough and you are more at the mercy of bad draws or dice.

I tend to only use dodge when desperate. Usually I'm happy just to have the extra hit point.

What most often got me in trouble my first few games was moving too fast. I would rush out to grab a weapon and pay for it. Stay together and move slowly.

This is definitely a game where you gradually improve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this solo and use two COG's. I gain new insights with every play. If it makes you feel any better it took me 12-13 plays of China Shop before I defeated it. I had to experiment with when to run, when to slow it down, when to hide, when to attack, or when to avoid contact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McRyballs
Australia
Waikiki
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When I'm attacked by a locust figure that isn't in cover I always Guard with an Overkill (if possible). This way I might kill the locust before it attacks. This not only saves me from taking damage but also gets rid of an enemy (and maybe drop a weapon too!).

I try to always stay in full cover and at least two areas away from the nearest locust (Hammerburst is great for this strategy). I also try to leave at least one of each locust type in play as if there are no locusts of a certain type you will go through the AI deck very quickly and end up drawing 'Reinforcements' (Spawn A+B+C locusts). Play cautiously and good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero cards is not bleeding out.. discarding past Zero is... ... that can be life or death mistake 1st few missions i was knocking my men over at zero cards..you can have zero cards and draw 2 cards at the start of you go..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hogan Brimacombe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya i havent made that mistake yet. In other news we played last night on belly of the beast twice with santiago and Baird and won once! I cant see any situation on that map in particular where killing that last wretch makes sense. We left him alive until the very end when we were sure that one wretch card that spawns 2 each at each emergence hole within 4 areas of you was gone then wasted him. Booyah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.