United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when I was in college the tape war. Beta versus VHS. We saw recently another less brutal version with DVDs which resulted in Blue-ray becoming the standard for hi-def. It seems every few years something new comes along and the companies fight over to see what format should become the standard for the technology.

Currently there is sort of a similar battle although in this one I suspect there will never be a winner. Actually I take that back. There will be a winner. We all will win because competition always breeds innovation. I'm talking about computer tablets. My wife and I just picked up his and hers computer tablets. I did my research. Looked around, read the reviews and checked all the features before deciding on Android Nexus 7 tablets.

We had a lot of choices mind you. Especially in terms of operating system. Our choices were basically Ios, Windows, Kindle or Android. All have their good points and after all my reading I learned that it pretty much comes down to personal preference more than anything. Also it comes down to company preference. To buy a tablet today means you're buying into that company. You buy Ios you're hooking up with Apple. Android it's Google, Kindle Fire it's Amazon and Windows it's Microsoft.

So I made my choice but I'm curious as to what choices others have made and what they use. So I thought I'd run a little poll. What type of computer tablet do you use for your personal home use?

Poll
What type of computer tablet do you use for your own personal use at home?
Ios
Android
Windows
Kindle Fire
Other
      59 answers
Poll created by mrbeankc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a samsung galaxy note. (The Phablet version)
Its totally awesome, previously I've only had a low end Android phone. This has totally shown me what tablets can actually do. Since I have this I don't need another device, but if I did I'd probably get a Nexus 7. Just look at the cost difference between that and the ipad.
(my mate just got a 7, he'll be along soon to tell you how great it is).
You are right about buying into a company though. I think thats really the key decision driver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
I have a samsung galaxy note. (The Phablet version)
Its totally awesome, previously I've only had a low end Android phone. This has totally shown me what tablets can actually do. Since I have this I don't need another device, but if I did I'd probably get a Nexus 7. Just look at the cost difference between that and the ipad.
(my mate just got a 7, he'll be along soon to tell you how great it is).
You are right about buying into a company though. I think thats really the key decision driver.

HUZZAH!!

congratz you made the right choice, the nexus 7 totally rocks. I see android taking more and more of the market share in the news, tbh i dont see why anyone would buy an ipad mini when the nexus is about, for the extra you get with the ipad it just isnt worth the inflated cost. i managed to get my nexus in comet for £140 which was £30 below the cheapest price online or anywhere else i could find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not actaully getting one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:

We actually almost went with Kindle Fire because of that. We're longtime Amazon customers and have had Kindle e-readers for a while now so we looked hard at the Kindle Fire but in the end decided on the Nexus 7. We can still access our Kindle books though through the Kindle app if we really want to. Our e-readers are easier on the eyes though than a back lit led screen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Greendan wrote:

We actually almost went with Kindle Fire because of that. We're longtime Amazon customers and have had Kindle e-readers for a while now so we looked hard at the Kindle Fire but in the end decided on the Nexus 7. We can still access our Kindle books though through the Kindle app if we really want to. Our e-readers are easier on the eyes though than a back lit led screen.

i dont like the idea that amazon can brick kindles whenever they want without explanation, delete all your books and ban you for life..

on top of that the kindle fire is only duel core isnt it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an iPad because I got one from work as a christmas gift last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
kindlefire runs on andriod I believe.
Got one for my daughter and wife last year. They love them. I've only got an ipod, but it's wonderful.

All three have died in the last year and been replaced. We fired them up and all our stuff downloaded from the cloud TA-DA! Only things we lost were our bookmarks and game-saves.

It was awesome. I think back to the times my computer had to be reformatted and how it took me days to get it back to it's previous order. This was beautiful. Minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My house contains 1 iPad, 2 iPod touch, 1 iPod, 2 Chromebooks, 2 Kindles, 1 KindleFire. And of course the 2 desktop and 3 laptops.

Each pretty much fills its own range of use. I don't browse internet on my KindleFire. None of us read books on the iPad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
kindlefire runs on andriod I believe.

It's own version of it yeah but different enough that I felt it deserved a separate entry in the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I bought a 7" Kindle Fire when they were released in Fall of 2011 and enjoyed it a lot (I am an Amazon Prime member, so there's lots of content there.) Then I bought an iPad 3 recently and said to myself, "Damn... the bigger screen, the Retina display, and the entire App Store makes this a marked upgrade from my Kindle Fire." Even web-browsing was quicker on the iPad vs the Kindle Fire, which seems weird, but it's true.

And now I can laugh at all of the Android fanboys whose standard response to any decent game being released on iOS: "But... but... but... when is _____ coming out for ANDROID?!?!?" Ha-ha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Other:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:

And now I can laugh at all of the Android fanboys whose standard response to any decent game being released on iOS: "But... but... but... when is _____ coming out for ANDROID?!?!?" Ha-ha!

All those years of my friends getting PC games ahead of mac and taunting me. Now I have revenge. REVENGE I SAY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Windows Tablet!?

Bowah ha ha ha ha ha!

There may be no winner, but there certainly is a loser!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.