David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us always the player with the most singular focus on the temples is the winner.
Run up the blue wheel 3-4 times, spend every corn not needed for feeding on the corn for temple action, only buy 1-2 feeding buildings plus if has any resources to spare (which he can get for free during holidays).

Last game I got 17 points from temples during the last holiday, and 24 points from wonders. My gf got 36 (!) points from wonders and an additional 6 from corn she got on the last two turns (yes, she got 24 corn...)

Yet the other two guys running up the temples got 20+ points from temples alone, while they got some additional "spare" points from the blue wheel and building one or two scoring buildings.

Is there any other viable strategy than focusing singularly on the temples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can score big if you focus on getting skulls and placing them, and the monument with the bonus for skulls is a plus.

You can also score big by getting very good at resources and then spending them on buildings that push you on different tracks. Then, depending on the monuments available you can score some more for technologies, buildings of different colors, or just steal that monument with the bonus for skulls.

I don't think there is ONE winning strategy, it all depends on what monuments you start with.
And if one player is focusing on temples only, then do the same thing. And prevent him from getting corn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah as I've been reading other strategy threads, it seems the issue was we weren't even trying hard to catch up... I need to think about the red gear action 5 some more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioana Szilagyi
Romania
flag msg tools
mb
I've recently played it a few times and so far I'm convinced there isn't one winning strategy. Every time I had a different one, imposed either by being/not being the starting player, the advantage tiles I drew at the start of the game and also by how the other players did their rounds. Temples offer a lot of points, I did not see this in the beginning, but, at least for me, the skulls were also mandatory. I won 3 games and lost 1 (the first I ever played) and I loved the fact that it was completely different every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinz Kiosk
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it 5 times so far with everyone trying different strategies, because there are so many, which is a real plus point.

I've really enjoyed every game but my one concern is that all 5 games so far were won by the person who pushed strongest in temples. A mixed bag of opponents so groupthink can't be playing any part in this. In the last game I did humungously well with a buildings strategy, which was a lot of fun, but it was complex to run and I *still* came up a few points short of someone doing a very simple temple strategy.

It is all very well to say, "If only one person goes for temples compete with them", but coming second to them in temples doesn't help. They're going for the top slots anyway. Can you disrupt someone else's temple strategy without disrupting your own game even more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios Tzeremes
Netherlands
Noordwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game more than 10 times in a two player mode so far. It appears that if one of the two players invests heavily in the temples, it makes it mandatory for the other player to do the same.

I tried intentionally in one game to go for the wonders, while my wife focused 100% on the temples (i got the wonders related to the technologies which i maxed) but i ended up loosing badly.

I expect that when there are more than 2 players the benefit of the temples is balanced but for a two player game it feels this is the way to go. This is due to the fact that when there are more than two players each player can focus on one of the three temples so it is very difficult for one player to get all three bonuses from the temples. Need to test it with more players to validate it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
i just played this yesterday night ( twice )

came in here to find if anyone is also talking about this
in both games, temples were the way to go

i won the first game with the temples strategy
2nd game i decided to do technology, came in a very distant 2nd
i even succeeded in getting the 33 points monument tile ( 3 or 4 fully advanced technologies )

i think i was second by 15 or 20 points

i am reluctant to say that this is THE ultimate strategy, but it certainly seems that way at the moment

next time i am going to spam the skull wheel and see what comes up from there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
well so far it seems that temples is the way to go.
after giving that tip for our next game, my friend proceeded to win with that way.

any ideas why this seems to be the way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive only played it once and came 2nd with 45 points , while the winner finished with 96 points. He got it by building lots of buildings and getting a building bonus tile.

I suspect your group is resorting to group think which is a fairly common phenomenon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bluekingzog wrote:
Ive only played it once and came 2nd with 45 points , while the winner finished with 96 points. He got it by building lots of buildings and getting a building bonus tile.

I suspect your group is resorting to group think which is a fairly common phenomenon.

I suspect that temples are not the best way to win, but are the best way for beginners to win. Perhaps other methods require more complex timing or supply chain management and cannot compete with temples in a group of relative novices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played twice, the second time with an all temple strategy, and I came in second or third
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my most recent play, I attempted a heavy temple strategy and got beaten handily by the guy who racked up the monument for crystal skulls played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viðar Freyr Guðmundsson
msg tools
It seems to me also that heavy temple going is hard to beat. My first game I won by a landslide with skulls, but that was against beginners that for the most part ignored temples. A friend always plays six workers and temples, he wins most of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This time I tried a temple focused strategy: yellow 1, red 5 were my main targets, plus building any building with temple icons. Plus I took the 13 and the 10 valued blue action.

Got beaten (by one point) by someone who went up the first tech track to max, and kept getting wood from the green wheel to push the first tech track twice (red 3 action) to go up on twice on temples.

Another player collected 40+ points from monuments (wood and corn tile thingies), she came last.

So it's now not just a matter of using the temples, but the most rapid advancment on the temples...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sparr Risher
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
Run up the blue wheel 3-4 times, spend every corn not needed for feeding on the corn for temple action, only buy 1-2 feeding buildings plus if has any resources to spare (which he can get for free during holidays).

You have to go up the grey or yellow wheels to get a skull for each trip up the blue wheel.

Also, just to make sure you aren't skipping an important rule, are you aware that each time you take the corn->temple action you can only pay and advance once? That is, 3 corn for 1 temple climb, not 6 corn for 2 or 9 corn for 3.

TDaver wrote:
an additional 6 from corn she got on the last two turns (yes, she got 24 corn...)

Can you elaborate on how she got 24 corn in 2 turns? I can picture a few really crazy scenarios where you have 3 or more workers on the green gear at the same time, but that seems farfetched considering how many points they would have been worth on other gears at the same point in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sparr0 wrote:
TDaver wrote:
an additional 6 from corn she got on the last two turns (yes, she got 24 corn...)

Can you elaborate on how she got 24 corn in 2 turns? I can picture a few really crazy scenarios where you have 3 or more workers on the green gear at the same time, but that seems farfetched considering how many points they would have been worth on other gears at the same point in the game.

That's kinda what she did. She had 6 workers, 3 was on the green gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Played my second game tonight, and I won handily with 76ish points vs 46 for second place (4 player game). I went all in on buildings, maxing resource tech and architecture tech as early as I could and then placing heavily on the red and brown wheels. Had a fun last turn where I used Build 2/Monument three times (2 workers + a building that let me use an action space of my choice). Used the yellow corn resources action to get just the right kinds of resources as well as dumping all my corn (had bought enough farms to feed 8 people at the end...) Built 4 buildings and the monument that gives 2vp/building, and got several free tech advances which were used for 3vp on the architecture track. Planning 5 builds with the trade action was a bit of a brain burner, and I didn't quite get the perfect mix, could maybe have gotten a tech/skull building instead of the last farm if I had managed to plan it perfectly. Still, I ended up with 14 buildings/monuments.

Only advanced once on the temples (from a building) and only went to the green wheel once (and took lumber).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Dog
msg tools
I won a game today completely ignoring temples. I went totally for a resources/buildings strategy, ended up on level 3 of three tech tracks, had 3 monuments, 6 workers, a bunch of buildings, and scored just over 100 points.

I was at level 3 on the resource tech track pretty early, which let me do a lot of combos along the lines of
- Get some wood or other cheap resource, e,g, use first space on the resource cog together with the tech bonus to get 2 wood.
- Use it to get 2 bonus resources by "advancing" on the level 3 resource tech track, thus effectively converting 2 wood to 4 gold.
- Use the market space to convert the resources to whatever I need to build and corn to power my economy.

This requires a few workers, but the spaces to grab wood, go to the market, and grab 2 tech advances, are all on the first few rungs of the cogs, so you can really milk this without having to commit workers to riding the cogs for ages.

I currently think after a few games that use of tech advances when you are already on the third level is very powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marge ajeto
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my opinion is:
in two player game, if one is focused only on temples then the other one will probably loose the game (for example, my wife is going for the temples only + a skull or two and no matter how many technologies, workers, buildings, monuments I have, she ends up winning) so if I play against her I have to start from the begging compete on temples with her...
this changes a lot in three or four players game, then you can easily win with resource&building strategy since there are more player to compete on temples and that's way it is more balanced...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Blizz
Brazil
flag msg tools
For me, more then just competing in the temples, they are great to level early for the extra resources you get and the points, if you level very early, mostly in the first 7 rounds, you get the best rewards from them.
Also, you should think which altar is best to level acordingly to your strategy. A Skull strat. should rush for the fourth level of the green temple (of Kukulcan) to get two extra skulls along the game (and will probably win the first place in that altar in first and second ages). A Building strat should consider rushing for the two golds and even two stones in the first age, because it's important for monuments, and winning in those temples in the first age would be good because in the second age you wouldn't be competitive enough in temple leveling. The big corn strat should act more oportunistic, leveling in the temple less leveled, to get the resources and the first place point in at least one temple, and this strat can be mixed a little with a building strat or a skull strat, depending on the extra resources received from the temples, remembering that it's possible to change the resources for corn or other tipes of resources in Uxmal-2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.