Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am looking forward to getting this game and have had it on P500 for some time now. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book to read that covers the period and battles covered by this game? I've go Six Armies in Normandy and a few others that cover the wider Normandy campaign but was wanting something on a scale closer to that covered by the game.

Perhaps a history of the 49th Inf Div?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that would be a good place to start. My "short list" of general interest books which are still widely available includes the following:

The Polar Bears- Monty's Left Flank- From Normandy to the Relief of Holland with the 49th Division, by Patrick Delaforce

Operation Epsom, by Lloyd Clark

Grenadiers, by Kurt Meyer, commander of the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend

Steel Inferno- 1st SS Panzer Corp in Normandy, by Michael Reynolds

Caen- Anvil of Victory, by Alexander McKee

Enjoy! Cheers,

Mark

(the following list is cross-posted from CSW)
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dd4856a/298

Here's an incomplete list of some books I've been using myself. This list does not include online sources, of which there have been dozens. The books are listed in no particular order, although in general I have tried to place the more detailed and helpful books near the top of the list:

Normandy 1944 - German Military Organization, Combat Power and Organizational Effectiveness, by Niklas Zetterling

SS Panzer Formations - Normandy 1944. Volume 2 (parts 1A and 1B): SS Panzer Formation April - September 1944 - Normandy : Their Detailed and Precise Strengths, by J. Dugdale & Michael Wood

The 12th SS volume one, by Hubert Meyer, former chief of staff of the 12th SS

Grenadiers, by Kurt Meyer, commander of the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend

The Polar Bears- Monty's Left Flank- From Normandy to the Relief of Holland with the 49th Division, by Patrick Delaforce

Steel Inferno- 1st SS Panzer Corp in Normandy, by Michael Reynolds

The Normandy Landings, English edition, by General Jean Compagnon (ouest france)

Operation Epsom, by Lloyd Clark

Caen- Anvil of Victory, by Alexander McKee

Caen 1944, by Ken Ford

Operation Epsom - VIII British Corps v 1st SS Panzerkorps, by Tim Saunders

The Panzers and The Battle For Normandy - June 5th - July 20th, 1944, by Georges Bernage

SS-Hitlerjugend - The History of the Twelfth SS Division 1943-45, by Rupert Butler

Hill 112 - Battles of the Odon - 1944, by Tim Saunders

SS: Hell on the Western Front, by Chris Bishop

Breaking the Panzers, by Kevin Baverstock

Swimming Shermans - Sherman DD amphibious tank of World War II, by David Fletcher

British Anti-tank Artillery 1939-45, by Chris Henry

Gold Beach, by Simon Trew

Gold Beach, Inland from King - June 1944, by Christopher Dunhie & Garry Johnson

The SS: Hitler's Instrument of Terror, by Gordon Williamson

Army of the West, by James A. Wood, Editor

D-Day to Berlin, by Alan J. Levine

The D-Day Atlas- Anatomy of the Normandy Campaign, by Charles Messenger

Brassey's D-Day Encyclopedia, by Barrett Tillman

D-Day 1944 - Sword Beach & The British Airborne Landings, by Ken Ford

Normandy 1944, by Stephen Badsey

D-Day - The Greatest Invasion- A People's History, by Dan Van Der Vat

D-Day Normandy- The Story and the Photographs, by Donald M. Goldstein, Katherine V. Dillon, and J. Michael Wenger

Eyewitness D-Day - Firsthand Accounts from the Landing at Normandy to the Liberation of Paris, by D. M. Giangreco with Kathryn Moore

The Desert Fox in Normandy - Rommel's Defense of Fortress Europe, by Samuel W. Mitcham, Jr.

Normandy- The Real Story, by Brig. Gen. Denis Whitaker, DSO and Bar, and Shelagh Whitaker with Terry Copp

Normandy- The Landings to the Liberation of Paris, by Olivier Wieviorka, translated by M. B. DeBevoise

Decision in Normandy, by Carlo D'Este

Six Armies in Normandy, by John Keegan

Overlord - D-Day and the Battle For Normandy, by Max Hastings

Sherman Firefly, by David Fletcher

Sherman Firefly vs. Tiger - Normandy 1944, by Stephan A. Hart

D-Day: 24 Hours the Saved the World, by the editors of Time

German Late War Armored Fighting Vehicles, by Chris Bishop

German Late WW2 Armored Fighting Vehicles, by George Bradford

British Armoured Fighting Vehicles, by George Bradford

American Armored Fighting Vehicles, by George Bradford (the Sherman DD tanks are actually found in this book rather than the British volume)

Wehrmacht Panzer Divisions 1939-45, by Jorge Rosado & Chris Bishop

Waffen SS Divisions 1939-45, by Chris Bishop

Panzergrenadier Divisions 1939-45, Chris Bishop

German Infantry in WWII, by Chris Bishop

German Panzers in WWII, by Chris Bishop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joe mcgrath
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Many excellent choices, to which I will add a few...

Cornelius Ryan's 'The Longest Day' is a classic. It tells the story of D-Day through the eyes of the participants, particularly the GIs, Tommies, paratroopers, and even the Germans. Terrific!

Joseph Balkoski's 'Omaha Beach' may be my favorite book on the D-Day landings, and I've read a lot. It focuses on just one of the five beaches, and an American one at that, but is absolutely superb. Informative, compelling, comprehensive, exciting, I can't recommend this book more highly.

A third book, more pertinent to this game, is John Buckley's thorough study,'British Armour in the Normandy Campaign 1944'. The author endeavours to explain why British armour performed poorly (and at times, well) in Normandy. He looks at equipment, training, tactics, leadership, doctrine, you name it. Less for the general public than my other two recommendations, it is somewhat technical and analytic, but surprisingly readable, and reaches some unexpected conclusions.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.