Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The only way to get another country on your side is by drawing a country chit.

As the start of the game German holds none of the relevant hexes but can walk into the Rhineland and they are allowed to attack other countries.

France holds only Alsace Lorraine.
If I have got it right the Germans can walk into the Rhineland and surround Alsace Lorraine on three sides. With an Air unit they can get an attack on Alsace Lorraine that gives a 50/50 chance of taking it regardless of what the French do.

If so the French will not be able to draw any chits unless they retake it.

The west is easily defended by some Infantry Corps along the border.
Obviously in attacking Czechoslavakia and Poland they may/will not take bothe contested areas straight away so this will provide some chits for the French side but even so.

Suggested Changes
The Germans must either attqack France at least once a turn at >100% odds (before Air colum shift) every turn, unless a French hex is occupied or Belgium has been attacked

Units are only placed on the map when they join one side or the other. The instant a country is invaded, or its chit is picked, and it joins one side or the other, it sets up its units - this includes the abilitry to place CAP's if desired.

France sets up first, Germany sets up second.

Delete 2.4 2nd para - new para.
A hex is disputed if the enemy has a unit next to a hex you do not occupy but own.

Change 9.11 to allow mobilization in EZOC.

If Belgium has been attacked new rules apply re chit selection.

If the Allied side picks the Belgium chit the Belgiums show extra resolve and get an extra unit even if no Belgium town are available - place in France.
If the Axis side picks the Belgium chit Belgium surrenders and all units are removed.

If Germany holds more than 3 contested hexes in the east (Poland, Baltic States, Rumania, Czechoslovakia) then change chit picks to:
Axis: Nothing happens put back in the pool.
Allies: The USSR joins the allies.

(Creates a nice tension between going East as opposed to West for the Germans).

Lastly as others have noted the Portugal and Denmark units are useless.
I propose the following admentments.

If the Spanish Civil War chit is drawn by the Allies Portugal remains neutral. If drawn by the Axis they fight on the Spanish Nationalist side in the Civil War (they may not leave the Iberian peninsula)

If the No Event chit is drawn by the Axis then Denmark surrenders, no units are place, even if their territory is occupied by any other power.
If drawn by the Allies Denmark joins the allies.

You will note another thread proposing to handle Putsc, Geeral Strike and Purges differently - I strongly recommended incorporating those amendments as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
While this probably works fairly well as a "general" article on this game, I don't really see this as being any kind of review. I'm disappointed that the moderators let it through as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't even realize it was going through as a review.

Having said that I do believe the comments are worth discussing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
"If I have got it right the French can walk into the Rhineland and surround Alsace Lorraine on three sides."

???

Germans can?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Noble
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whoops - yes I meant Germans modest

The original post has been corrected on this point.

It has also been heavily modified to reflect my subsequent play throughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dangla
France
Bry/Marne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"If so the French will not be able to draw any chits unless they retake it".

It's not the case since, if a side has no crisis hex, it is allowed to draw one chit. Moreover, several chits drawn by Germany will lead to a new ally for France (for instance Poland, since one hex of France is occupied by Germany).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.