Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any "must have" expansions with this game? Carcassonne has Inns & Cathederals--is there such an expansion with Death Angel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like Carcassonne, this game is perfectly playable without adding expansions. However, again just like Carcassonne, this might get 'stale' after some time. The expansions each change one aspect of the game to give it some new 'spice'.

Which expansion to buy, depends completely on the aspect of the game that you'd like to reinvigorate. I own 3 of the 4 current expansions, so I'll briefly comment on them.

- Mission Pack 1: this adds a new location deck, with new special conditions to the game. So when you've grown tired of the locations in the base game, this is the expansion to buy. This adds a new type of genestealer (onde that moves more) and a new terrain (hull breach) as well.

- Space Marine Pack 1: this adds 2 new combat themes with cool new special abilities. Also adds a deck of 8 cards to randomly select your combat teams (this replaces the 6 tokens from the base game). If you've grown tired of your combat teams, you can add this one. However, since you still randomly draw your combat teams, you might end up 'not drawing' one of the new combat teams (the chances of drawing the 'old' marines are stil 6 in 8). So you'll have to cheat a little in your combat team selection. I don't own the Deathwing expansion, but I think you'd be better off buying that one if you want to fundamentally change your combat teams, since they completely replace the combat teams for the base game (if I understood correctly).

- Tyranid Enemy Pack: this completely replaces the genestealer deck from the base game with other types of tyranids, which each have a special ability. To me, this is the true 'must have' expansion, since the first thing that started to feel 'bland' were the genestealers. Their only difference is the way they move. With this expansion, there's a range of special abilities: tyranids that move when your combat teams do, that add extra tyranids when they're drawn, that get extra activations,...

So, in short, it's really up to you whether or not you'll buy expansions, and if you do, it depends on which aspect of the game you want to change.

I hope this lengthy post has helped you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
None of them is a must have, they are all good, however.

Let's go through them one by one and see what they do:

1. Mission Pack 1

Adds new location cards, two for each number, so less diversity than in the original missions, you have three for each number in the original. It also adds a new terrain card and a new type of genestealers. The adrenal genestealers aren't very different, but interesting to have around.

Pros:
+ You get a new terrain card. I really think the game needs more of these. In the original you can only activate 4 of the ones available and most of them don't do very interesting things anyway.
+ New locations feel quite different than the original.

Cons:
- There's less diversity unless you mix them together with the original locations. The expansion rules advise against this, but there's no particular reason not to do it if you want to. There are some conflicting situations but they are very rare, when you would need to place an artifact card in formation and you already have it on one of your teams.

2. Space Marine Pack 1

Adds two new teams and cards for easier randomisation when picking teams. Clearly the least consistent of the expansions. The two new teams added are quite interesting. The Orange team has a quite brutal attack.

Pros:
+ New teams are fun.

Cons:
- It adds very little to the game experience.

3. Tyranid Enemy Pack

This is one of the two bigger expansions. In my opinion, and I believe the general consensus, this is the best expansion. This is because it adds some variety on the genestealer side. You get 4 new "4" locations that are generally easier and basically make you fight a special tyranid boss, 32 new genestealer cards that you will use instead of the original ones. Some of these new genestealers are exactly the same as the original, the others are elite genestealers that have special abilities that trigger during different stages of the game.

Pros:
+ New tyranids are awesome, they are really well designed and match their Warhammer 40K counterparts. They diversify the game quite a lot, you don't simply count stacks of genestealers now, you actually care what they are.
+ Final locations really have that boss fight feeling, which is really nice in my book, great design choice again. Note that these locations are usually easier than the normal ones found in the original or in mission pack 1.

Cons:
-/+ Not really a con, but the expansion does make the game a bit more difficult, and it wasn't a cake walk to begin with. All the elite genestealers have extra abilities so they will make your life harder than the original bland ones. The final locations are most of the time easier than the ones found in other packs probably to compensate for this.

4. Deathwing Space Marine Pack

It adds 6 new space marine teams that you will use instead of the original ones. These are very different than the original ones and represent the First Company of the Dark Angels Chapter.

Pros:
+ New teams are very different and interesting. Again they follow a lot of the Warhammer 40K backstory regarding the different strategies used by Dark Angels.
+ Some of the vanilla marines, not the group leader of the two, now get special abilities from some action cards which makes them feel a lot less like cannon fodder. I really believe that the Deathwing Red Team has a better vanilla marine than the leader.

Cons:
- Two of the teams feel a bit underwhelming, they are not all bad, but when I draw them both I really feel the need to let out a sigh. I really like playing random and keeping whatever teams I get, but when I draw both of them I usually decide to go for a redraw. The game is merciless enough as is.

And now to draw some conclusions.

None of them is a must have and they are all fun and quite cheap, so that makes them a worthwhile investment if you like the original game.

When I bought them I just went for all of them at once, which was one week after buying the original. They really help diversify the game by adding more cards. The way I play it now is I randomise all the possibilities. I roll a die for which set of teams, which mission pack and sometimes for which genestealers deck. I end up deciding to use the Tyrind Pack genestealers quite often because they are more fun, even though harder to defeat.

As mentioned before if you want to start off easy you might want to start with the Tyranid Pack, but be prepared to lose some games really badly.

As a list it would probably look something like this:
1. Tyranid Enemy Pack
2. Mission Pack 1
3. Deathwing Space Marine Pack
4. Space Marine Pack 1

If you are a Warhammer 40K fan, and specifically a terminator fan like myself, the Deathwing Space Marine Pack will move up one position.

Most of the fans of the game have all the expansions and keep asking for more. Hopefully we'll see some next year. Fingers still crossed for the "Grey Knights Space Marine Pack".

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what I was looking for. Thanks, Gents.

Assuming I get SHA for Christmas, where is the best place to buy the expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine at the local hobby shop. Because they are not very expensive to begin with I doubt there will be great difference in selling price from different retailers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
They are very cheap, you should get them all if you like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Griggs
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy them all. There are only a handful and the game is amazing for what it is and what you get, at such a low price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
Assuming I get SH: DA for Christmas, where is the best place to buy the expansions?

I just ordered mine from the FFG website.
It took a while to get the mail that they were ready to ship, but all in all I had no problems.

(BTW, I suggest to start with just the vanilla game, it is punishing enough as it is )

HTH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly agree with these assessments, except that I am a big fan of Space Marine Pack 1. To me the first thing to get stale was playing the six squad game with the same six squads out.

Sure an individual player may only have a 1/4 chance of getting a new marine to control, but there is a 27/28 chance of having at least one of them in the 6 squad game, which will change the experience for everyone.

If you are going to play 6 squads (which is the most challenging and I think best), I would say Space Marine Pack 1 is the top priority expansion to get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Wootsick
United States
ZEBULON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Ive read most of your comments, but can someone list the expansions that ADD and not REPLACE anything in the game? I don't even like when they call them 'expansions' when they really replace. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most all are made to 'replace' (partially due to the different card stock and different colored backs).
Space marine pack 1 is the only exception, and mission pack 1 'can' be used in addition to the other location cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
They are very cheap, you should get them all if you like the game.

Agreed, they are easy to find in a 4-pack on e-bay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from replacing the Genestealer deck with the Tyranid deck we use everything together. Sure you can see whether it's a red location or a green one coming up - but we haven't "learned" the game enough for that to influence us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought them on FFG site as well. Very quick delivery.

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/showproducts.cfm?FullCat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.