Максим Колбасов
Russia
flag msg tools
Hello!

Recommend please a good strategy game with a small (or no) random and high high replayability for me and my wife.
I do not have much experience in board games, but A Game of Thrones (second edition) that I recently played was amazing! It's a real strategy game, but for 3+ players (and the best with 6 players).

We like: Carcassonne, Dominion, Agricola (but these games are not enough strategic)
Don't like: Small World, space-related games

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there, here are some "classic" suggestions to open the discussion (I have not played A Game of Thrones so can't do more than generic suggestions...)

These three would qualify for real strategy and work great with 2. they are definitely one class above the games you like but I am under the impression it is what yu are looking for...

Twilight Struggle, One player takes the US and the other plays the USSR. The goal is to increase one's influence over the rest of the world during the cold war. It is very long so perhaps you could check out perhaps its smaller brother 1960 the Making of A president (NB: I liked the first one but not the second).

War of The Ring. Recreates the full scale battle between the free people and Sauron, both on the military side and on the "destroy the ring" side. This if the fantasy theme mattered.

Through The Ages, a great civ game that works best (imho) with just 2. No map however if this was your goal. Also can be played with more than 2...

From what I understand, there is a good deal of politicking between players in A Game of Thrones which is always hard to recreate when there are only two players. However, Twilight Strggle, by its theme, and War of The Ring both have a political component but it is less open-ended than with a game of throne.

I also recommend Dungeon Twister whih has been referred to "chess in a dungeon" on multiple occasion. Shorter than the other three but, I feel, a lot more brain burning and with almost no luck (all three rely heavily on cards, with TS and WotR also on die rolls)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Максим Колбасов
Russia
flag msg tools
Yes, my goal - a game with map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the goal is "no-luck", then Bonaparte at Marengo and Napoleon's Trumph would do it, although their scope is more grand tactical that strategic.

If the intention is "deep, two player competitive games", then please head over to the Wargames forum, Do Not Pass Go. Throw a brick and you'll hit something worthwhile, especially if you try to ensure that the "playing time" field doesn't have too many zeros after it. Simple and good examples include Twilight Struggle, Hannibal and Command and Colors Ancients or Napoleonics, all of which are excellent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:

+1

Also Antike Duellum (and if you like this one you can buy it's elder brother, Antike for when you have more people over at your house.

From the descriptions it sounds like both of these are very similar. They feel very different inside your head, though. So far I have yet to meet a person who didn't either like both or neither of them, though.

Also, one of the things that appeals (to the people who like such things) in AGoT is the whole card drawing for 'Winter is Coming' bit. Do you need this amount of randomness in your strategy game, so that opportunism is always present? If so, I am not sure these games I recommended will do it for you. You said 'small or no randomness', which I understand, but also AGoT which seems to contradict the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Максим Колбасов
Russia
flag msg tools
Ok, I thought that AGoT is a game with a small randomness. This effect of luck (like AGoT or Carcassonne) is fine for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
axci wrote:
Ok, I thought that AGoT is a game with a small randomness. This effect of luck (like AGoT or Carcassonne) is fine for me

Cool. I think you will like the 2 games I suggested, even if you will decide that they have _microscopic_ randomness for your rankings. Just be warned that, around here, AGoT is considered a game with _significant_ but not _large_ randomness. In case it matters for some other conversation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernt N
Norway
Hakadal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take a look at StarCraft: The Board Game, it is similar to AGoT, and is 2-6 player. Like agot it has hidden order placement, but unlike agot the orders are restricted to four per turn and also the orders are placed on planets/areas and not on units. The combat is also card driven like in agot. The big minus is that it is oop, so might be hard to get.

Another game you might consider is Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York, but I haven't played this myself so I can't comment on how good it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades might be of interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lacey
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle was my first thought.
War of the Ring was my next thought.

I really enjoyed A Game of Thrones, and I really enjoy the two above. I really enjoy Carcassonne. So if you're anything like me you'll probably really enjoy the two above.

Also...

Washington's War I have not played, but I'd really like to for the whole 2 player strategic struggle.

Somebody else mentioned Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York and this is a great game...although my understanding is it shines best with 4 players as you are playing with an ally of sorts, while at the same time trying to be the overall winner. I've only played it 4 player, so I'm not sure you get any of that in the 2 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to be posting a lot of recommendations for the new 2 player version of Game of Thrones: The Card Game (HBO-FFG)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
Cyclades might be of interest.

Every time I see this mentioned I think I want to pick it up. If I wasn't waiting on the new reprint of Eclipse I'd be all over it by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 de Mayo is a short, tense game with simultaneous movement and a bit of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen people kept comparing Warrior Knights and AGOT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
2 de Mayo is a short, tense game with simultaneous movement and a bit of luck.

A game of thrones the board game light? This could be it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.