Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Campbell
United States
johnson city
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will start by saying that I absolutely love this game. I have been gaming for a long time and I have really taken an interest in the welfare of the game.

My question is, does anybody know anything at all about future sets?

I know that theres not going to be anything known that isnt public knowledge and coming from a neutral standpoint it doesn't bode well but I am a fanboy and will remain optimistic.

I guess I am just trying to find someone that knows someone that may have some kind of info.......you get my drift.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ant Brooks
South Africa
Madibeng
North West
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we can only make educated guesses, but consider the following...

WotC is currently between editions of the RPG, with 4e products dried up, but still a year or so to go before D&D Next is ready to ship. One strategy to deal with this seems to have been to re-release older material, with reprints of core AD&D, D&D3.5 and AD&D 2nd Edition books all hitting the shelves recently or early next year.

However, for last year or two, WotC has been pushing the D&D brand beyond the RPG, and has released a number of board games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, Legend of Drizzt, Conquest of Nerath, Lords of Waterdeep) and a new miniatures game (Dungeon Command).

As far as I can tell, the boardgames (including Dungeon Command) have been fairly successful, so it seems highly likely that we will see additional products along these lines in 2013. My guess is that we'll see another two or three DC sets in 2013 after Blood of Gruumsh), but probably only in the second half of the year. Maybe in August, October and December?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echohawk wrote:
As far as I can tell, the boardgames (including Dungeon Command) have been fairly successful, so it seems highly likely that we will see additional products along these lines in 2013. My guess is that we'll see another two or three DC sets in 2013 after Blood of Gruumsh), but probably only in the second half of the year. Maybe in August, October and December?

Waterdeep's expansion has been announced and they've already stated their intent to have the next adventure game evolve inline with their developments on D&D 5e.

Blood of Gruumsh is the first DC set to have all new minis based on the re-imagining of orcs in D&D 5e. Currently there is a whole series of articles discussing about monsters on Wizard's website. My guess is that as certain monster groups get revitalized for D&D 5e, new sculps will be created and released as DC sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Campbell
United States
johnson city
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping for good news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
My guess is that as certain monster groups get revitalized for D&D 5e, new sculps will be created and released as DC sets.

I think we'll see a few new sculpts, at least one per set, but a majority of the sculpts will be re-runs of existing sculpts.

I think this year's schedule was fast paced to help launch the product and get enough into circulation that it would support some organized play. I expect we'll see more organized play promotion in 2013, a mid-summer set and an autumn set (3 per year), and a championship game at GenCon 2013 (possibly with pre-qualifier events, but I imagine the participating player base will be small enough in 2013 that pre-quals aren't needed).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you're right. My experience promoting this game locally has been a lot of buzz about it seeming quite cool, but a lot of uncertainty from players about jumping in because there isn't a lot of commitment from WotC yet on basic stuff like OP and a schedule for the future. Right now I'm committed to it because I think it's an excellent system, but a lot of the old DDM players are cool on it and are wary that it's just going to end up like DDM 2.0. Not to mention us Dreamblade players who were dumb enough to buy Night Fusion at GenCon a week before being told the entire OP system was being dismantled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
I hope you're right. My experience promoting this game locally has been a lot of buzz about it seeming quite cool, but a lot of uncertainty from players about jumping in because there isn't a lot of commitment from WotC yet on basic stuff like OP and a schedule for the future. Right now I'm committed to it because I think it's an excellent system, but a lot of the old DDM players are cool on it and are wary that it's just going to end up like DDM 2.0. Not to mention us Dreamblade players who were dumb enough to buy Night Fusion at GenCon a week before being told the entire OP system was being dismantled.

I think DC will stick around. It addresses one of the big issues with the original DDM stuff, mostly theme. A set of Dungeon Command contains units that thematically blend together well and has 3 different uses (DC, Adventure Game, RP). The next thing they should be doing on a product development front is tie in D&D Encounters and Module Releases to use that year's Dungeon Command miniatures. That provide additional incentive for players to accessorize, and potentially further develop the Dungeon Command player base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
I wish it was more popular though...

No one plays in the ottawa area...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
I wish it was more popular though...

No one plays in the ottawa area...

Heh... I'm planning a trip that has me traveling through Ottawa next March or so. I'll try to keep this in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
where you from btw?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago, but I'll be doing a lot of traveling for work in 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
How pop. is the game in your area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think its particularly popular anywhere at the moment, outside of these forums.

As a product, its waiting on expanded support for constructed play before it really starts maturing. We haven't had enough pieces and cards in circulation to begin supporting constructed play til now. There isn't really anything for WIS in the current environment, and it could be that they want to flesh that out more before they consider the mix ready for truly diverse tournament play.

I will be surprised if they don't have a plan for game store support and sales incentives in place before next summer, and would hope for some support coinciding with the launch of the Orc set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
I have a bit of trouble believing that they will support something that isn't popular... But then again, what do I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
I have a bit of trouble believing that they will support something that isn't popular... But then again, what do I know.

Well, consider that previous DDM and Dreamblade sets, released 3 times per year, each contained a number of pieces that exceeded the total number of pieces we have in circulation from 4 Dungeon Command sets? Also consider the aggressive release schedule to reach this quantity? I think we could look at where we're at and still call it "launch mode".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever the future may be, my feeling is that if indeed we will see more support for the Dungeon Command game as a whole, the people from WotC should say something. It could be as vague as "We don't know when, we don't know what, but you will see something more". What possible harm could that do?

But then, to echo Mike's words, what do I know?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:
Whatever the future may be, my feeling is that if indeed we will see more support for the Dungeon Command game as a whole, the people from WotC should say something. It could be as vague as "We don't know when, we don't know what, but you will see something more". What possible harm could that do?

But then, to echo Mike's words, what do I know?

Well, RPGA conduct for Dungeon Command was set up at launch time... so to me, that's a clear signal of their intentions for the game. They haven't announced any official tournaments, but I would not be surprised if we see something at PAX East and I would put a shiny penny down on a Dungeon Command Championship tournament at GenCon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Its really too bad, because they game is alot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...so future releases of DC and DDAS will be inline with 5e? Not sure how I feel about this. I wasn't a fan of 4e mechanics, but think the boardgames that have spawned from it are fantastic! Some would say that 4e was basically a board game anyway so perhaps no surprise there.

Anyway, I'd like to see them continue to develop the DDAS and DC lines to be compatible with what is currently out there. If not, users like ChromaticDragon, Ninjadorg, and GeckoTH have really developed these lines and made them almost infinitely re-playable. Hopefully these guys will be around to convert future non-compatbile D&D games to the existing lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking for myself, I'll be sticking around whether I'm wanted or not. In any case, Wizards have stated their intent to have new adventure games maintain at least partial compatibility with the existing games.

5e will likely give a nice boost to DC as these themed boxed sets would be the only easily available source of prepainted minis to be used for the RPG. Hopefully the people buying DC for the minis will then discover what an awesome skirmish game it is as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
Let me ask you guys something...

I have not played dnd in 15+ years...

Is DC in any way based off of the current D&D edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
Is DC in any way based off of the current D&D edition?

DC is not associated with any edition of D&D. It only borrows conceptually from core D&D elements like ability scores (STR, DEX, etc), character levels, HP, spells and monster powers. The only iconic element missing are the dice which was a daring and brilliant decision, imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Mike, Dungeon Command draws some of its mechanical ideas from things that have been used in [the current edition of] D&D (and also from Magic: the Gathering), and of course DC draws thematic elements from D&D, but the game stands on its own. You don't need to be familiar with any version of D&D to understand and play Dungeon Command.

EDIT: totally expected chromaticdragon to ninja me there, and yep, that happened :V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
So its safe to say that even if the dnd edition were to change, it really wouldn't impact DC in any way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike1977 wrote:
So its safe to say that even if the dnd edition were to change, it really wouldn't impact DC in any way?

That is correct, the only possible impact in the future would be if Wizard decides to change the look of certain monsters, as is being done for the orcs and owlbear in Blood of Gruumsh.

I think it's safe to assume I ain't ninjaing anyone this time. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.