Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
its taken me almost 20 games till i took and tested this skill!
and now I don't think I'll go back!

Its 2 grenades with a huge radius, it show you the alien but they don't see you..
often allowing you to properly position and over watch or in the very least send in a few rockets while they are grouped! AWESOME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean the motion sensor? Rarely used/needed it. I preferred my snipers to stay on Overwatch with the passive Squad View (or whatever it is called) active allowing to kill everything with one shot that gets into anyones viewing range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found them useful early on in an encounter, usually when I'm moving a sniper into cover and can't overwatch anyways. It is nice to throw one of those to get an idea where the enemy is.

Unfortunately, it also reveals that the enemy doesn't really move when you technically can't see them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's a nice skill. Since the battle scanner's vision counts as part of the squad sight, you can use it when you know an alien is hiding just off-screen, but are concerned for your soldiers safety if they advance (perhaps because there's no cover available or the alien is on overwatch.)

Move the sniper up a bit, throw the scanner and snipe the alien on the next turn. Or the same turn, if you have two snipers.

I just wish this was a Support ability. Then I'd use it a lot more.

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first sniper typically gets the Battle Scanner, while my second sniper gets the disabling shot. I've found I don't use either all that often, but Battle Scanner is fantastic on the early terror missions because it lets you feel out the Cryssalids before they destroy everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
I found them useful early on in an encounter, usually when I'm moving a sniper into cover and can't overwatch anyways. It is nice to throw one of those to get an idea where the enemy is.

Unfortunately, it also reveals that the enemy doesn't really move when you technically can't see them.

They tend to shift a bit - enemies are set to 'patrol' when not activated by your squad. They sort of jump from one location to another, though, and they don't normally walk into self-activation. Terror missions are an obvious exception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The over-powered and obvious benefit of using explosives is just one more thing that I found quite disappointing in the little bit I've played of the game so far. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
The over-powered and obvious benefit of using explosives is just one more thing that I found quite disappointing in the little bit I've played of the game so far. shake
Would have prefered to be able to shoot through or at least at walls. An important tactical option even the old game had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:

... Except that aliens who die from explosives don't leave weapon fragments behind, and blowing up bits of the UFO also will reduce the alloys that you recover.

Luckily you're limited to only a few explosives per mission.

L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luge wrote:
wytefang wrote:

... Except that aliens who die from explosives don't leave weapon fragments behind, and blowing up bits of the UFO also will reduce the alloys that you recover.

Luckily you're limited to only a few explosives per mission.

L.

This. I really appreciated the balancing effect this has. Explosives are for use only when I'm desperate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then there is the fact that aliens can use grenades against you, which can make for a bad day if you are caught grouped up together.

To be honest, I don't use grenades all that much because often the benefits aren't there for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Stabs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
Then there is the fact that aliens can use grenades against you, which can make for a bad day if you are caught grouped up together.

To be honest, I don't use grenades all that much because often the benefits aren't there for me.

But a rocket launcher with HEAT ammo . . . that's a delight. I had one terror mission where two cyberdiscs floated out of the burning building, each flanked with two drones, on Turn 2. Turn 1 had exposed two Cryssalids. I only had six actions to ensure I survived to Turn 3. Without that heavy, there is no way I would have made it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.