Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » Variants

Subject: How would you wish to play Chaotic Orb if it were allowed in casual play? (a poll) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Chaos Orb is an old card that lets you flip it in the air to destroy whatever it touches when it lands. It is banned in tournament play.

If you played in a group that allowed it in casual play, which errata would you prefer?
Keep the old rule and let it destroy stacked lands, etc. Opponent cannot rearrange cards after the spell is announced...even though games would be tedious in that people would always carefully arrange their cards a card-width apart.
User picks a card and flips the Orb and if it hits it, it destroys the card and any enchantments and equipment on it. This is clean and simple and balanced.
User rolls a six-side die and arranges that many of the opponent's cards without them touching, then flips and destroys what the Orb touches. This allows multiple destructions like in the days of yore.
Assign a reasonable space for each player to play in and let them arrange their card after the Orb is cast. This prevents the tedious maintenance of the play area before the Orb is announced.
      34 answers
Poll created by davidme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How would you wish to play Casual Orb if it were allowed in casual play? (a poll)
Option 1. Additionally, the Orb has to be flipped from behind the caster's side of the table and must make at least one 'flip' on its journey.
Nothing wrong with Chaos Orb. If someone wants to play it, then good on them. (especially the first 'surprise' time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: How would you wish to play Casual Orb if it were allowed in casual play? (a poll)
If you have to ask, it's not casual play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are now some pretty filthy cards in MTG. Overloaded Cyclonic Rift is much worse than Chaos Orb, IMO. Chaos Orb also has three chances of failure... Casting/Countering, Activation/Destruction, and landing on the wrong side.

The real reason it isn't played in Casual is because no one wants to throw $200 in the air with no guarantee of a benefit.

As was said by someone else; if you have to ask if you can play a card in casual, it isn't casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll happily sell you mine for $200. How about $150?

It's actually worth about $50. If it were a legal card it would be worth more like $200.

It actually is legal in a format. http://www.5-color.com/

It doesn't have any special rules attached to it other than it cannot be in a sleeve when you flip it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
I would love to play in a game where Chaos Orb is played. I've seen the card in real life but not in a game. It's one of those cards that was a bit mythical already back in '94 when I started playing. It has one of the coolest Magic art as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I saw one was about 7 years ago. A guy had been invited to a party at my place. I figure out he played MAgic and he said we should play. He goes out to his car and brings in a deck to play. He is playing a beat up deck with no sleeves on the 3d turn he casts time walk and then the turn after casts Chaos Orb. Ends up killing his own stuff with it.

We are now the best of friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite stories from when I was first playing Magic involved a Chaos Orb, when it was tournament legal.

I'm playing in a tournament at a convention that is a pretty serious tournament. Those that could afford it were playing most of the power 9. This is when the Moxes were only $100 each and Black Lotus was $300. Dual Lands were $5 each at that time.

I'm playing the best deck a poor 16 old boy could get his hands on. Counterspells and Fireballs. I was pretty bad back then, but for some reason liked to see how bad I could get beaten.

One of the matches, the guy plays a Chaos Orb, but crushes me so bad that he didn't even have to use it. I think it was restricted then, so it wasn't anything you would see too often.

I saw Chaos Orb and Falling Star get played many times. Some of those guys were masters of the flip. Never saw one get ripped up, they were too expensive, even at that time, for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like option 4, minus the "reasonable space" bit - ie, just do what the Gatherer errata says to do:

"You can arrange your cards any time before the Orb is put onto the battlefield, but not after."

ie, Super Awesome Guy casts Chaos Orb. While it's on the stack, rearrange your cards (by separating them all by 10 feet, give or take. Put Jace under the cat food bowl, etc ) Everybody wins! (except maybe jace)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
I like option 4, minus the "reasonable space" bit - ie, just do what the Gatherer errata says to do:

"You can arrange your cards any time before the Orb is put onto the battlefield, but not after."

ie, Super Awesome Guy casts Chaos Orb. While it's on the stack, rearrange your cards (by separating them all by 10 feet, give or take. Put Jace under the cat food bowl, etc ) Everybody wins! (except maybe jace)

Best answer yet, but what's wrong with being reasonable? What makes me want this limitation is that back in the day, I heard tales of people taping their cards to the wall, and I can imagine someone putting one per square foot...or worse. [Edit: Also, I see you like Archon. Awesome game, but black ALWAYS won...? I think that's why I don't chase it down to play it again.]

Also, I remember the tournament rules said that once the spell was ANNOUNCED, players couldn't move their cards. I tried once tapping all my tappable cards by pinning a corner down with one finger and tapping on that axis, but judge said "no" and it had to be their middle axis. Oh well. : )

As for most of the rest of the answers, it just really becomes cumbersome to have to remember to space cards out. I think I'd rather it just stay banned than have to do that again.

It was fun in it's day. I saw games won and lost with it. I balanced my Mirror Universe on the edge of a table in one tournament, figuring it would give half as much space to be hit. It still landed perfectly, costing me the chance to make a comeback. We got pretty good with it.

Thanks for the votes, everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will never be legal in Vintage again. They want the game accessible to everyone and a handicapped person would be at a disadvantage. They want it to be a mental challenge not physical. Stephen Hawking should be able to destroy me.

I did hear a rumor suggesting an Errata that has it target and destroy one permanent. I don't see that happening though either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
I did hear a rumor suggesting an Errata that has it target and destroy one permanent. I don't see that happening though either.

I have heard that many people play it that way in their cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I would use a playmat or designate an area. Then there's no scaping the orb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Raffuse
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of designating a small space (like a playmat) and giving the opponent a (short) time to rearrange his permanents as desired. On a cluttered board, this would create a fun Fact or Fiction style mini game. In fact, someone should make a game around this mechanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Raffscallion wrote:
In fact, someone should make a game around this mechanic.

ninja I see what you did there ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still boggled by how many people vote to have to spend every game arranging their cards perfectly so that the Orb won't hit multiples...even if they don't know whether an Orb is in the match or not! Seems such a waste of time! ...maybe it comes down to the "retentive" nature of us collectors? Or us rules lawyers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
5) tear it up into tiny pieces, sprinkle on opponent's play area, thus destroying all their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck size is illegal. You lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seabie wrote:
Raffscallion wrote:

Umm... I assume such a game already exists? What is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
I'm still boggled by how many people vote to have to spend every game arranging their cards perfectly so that the Orb won't hit multiples...even if they don't know whether an Orb is in the match or not! Seems such a waste of time! ...maybe it comes down to the "retentive" nature of us collectors? Or us rules lawyers?

If you're playing a game that is casual enough to allow Chaos Orb, then I think that actually gaming it by stacking your cards out of the way you usually would is your option, but more than a bit silly.

My opinion is that cards should be played as they were intended, and the Orb's intent was clear. If you want to game it by taping your cards to something I'd have no problem with it, but I'd never do it myself, as any environment casual enough to allow it is casual enough for me to not worry all that much. Allowing it to be used as a colourless Vindicate just seems wrong to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Raffuse
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bezman wrote:
Seabie wrote:
Raffscallion wrote:

Yeah, I'm not as clever as one might suppose. I knew when I wrote the comment that such a game might exist, but I've never seen it. I too am curious and ready for enlightenment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
davidme wrote:

If you're playing a game that is casual enough to allow Chaos Orb, then I think that actually gaming it by stacking your cards out of the way you usually would is your option, but more than a bit silly.

My opinion is that cards should be played as they were intended, and the Orb's intent was clear. If you want to game it by taping your cards to something I'd have no problem with it, but I'd never do it myself, as any environment casual enough to allow it is casual enough for me to not worry all that much. Allowing it to be used as a colourless Vindicate just seems wrong to me.

I guess it comes down to our definition of "casual" and how much that means "don't try too hard to win" and exactly how much trying is too much trying. Thanks...I get it a little more if that's the reasoning of most of the votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raffscallion wrote:
Bezman wrote:
Seabie wrote:
Raffscallion wrote:

Yeah, I'm not as clever as one might suppose. I knew when I wrote the comment that such a game might exist, but I've never seen it. I too am curious and ready for enlightenment.

Maybe he thought you were hinting that you had invented a game? That's all I can see in his comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Raffscallion wrote:
Bezman wrote:
Seabie wrote:
Raffscallion wrote:

---> FlowerFall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Raffuse
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Raffscallion wrote:
Bezman wrote:
Seabie wrote:
Raffscallion wrote:

---> FlowerFall

Interesting, thanks. Though this captures the dexterity aspect, it doesn't (to my knowledge) include the strategy of arranging your permanents for safety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.