Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, everywhere except for BGG I'm using ad blocking. I disabled it on BGG so that I won't miss ads that actually help me.

The problem is that there are times where the ads come from somewhere outside of BGG (probably Google).

Now these ads are annoying, they include moving things and most of the times are not related to boardgames.

This will lead to me enabling ad-blocking on BGG as well and will miss useful ads.

Please change this somehow.

Edit: Ok, the fact that ads are animated is not a big problem unless they are board-gaming related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 -- have exactly the same problem, wish for exactly the same solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am not a huge fan of them either, which is why I work hard every day to sell as much inventory as I can to gaming companies! Unfortunately, there currently are not enough advertisers to purchase all of BGG's inventory, so we have to fill the extra inventory with Google Adsense ads, which are less desirable, but still bring in some money for the site.

The good news is that I currently have about 75% of our inventory sold, so most of the ads you see should be interesting to you. I will keep working so that we can show as few Adsense ads as possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Yes, I am not a huge fan of them either, which is why I work hard every day to sell as much inventory as I can to gaming companies! Unfortunately, there currently are not enough advertisers to purchase all of BGG's inventory, so we have to fill the extra inventory with Google Adsense ads, which are less desirable, but still bring in some money for the site.

The good news is that I currently have about 75% of our inventory sold, so most of the ads you see should be interesting to you. I will keep working so that we can show as few Adsense ads as possible!

Wow. Thank you very much. Is there something I can do to help? Adsense today wants to find me -- in Swedish -- the lover of my dreams -- based on the fact that she likes to buy boardgames. (Why adsense assumes either I am male hetero and male or I am a lesbian, I have no idea). I wish I could get you better ads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Wow. Thank you very much. Is there something I can do to help? Adsense today wants to find me -- in Swedish -- the lover of my dreams -- based on the fact that she likes to buy boardgames. (Why adsense assumes either I am male or I am a lesbian, I have no idea). I wish I could get you better ads.

I hate those ads too, I'm happily married thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

Wow. Thank you very much. Is there something I can do to help? Adsense today wants to find me -- in Swedish -- the lover of my dreams -- based on the fact that she likes to buy boardgames. (Why adsense assumes either I am hetero male or I am a lesbian, I have no idea). I wish I could get you better ads.

FTFY

I spent some time tweaking my adblock until now I rarely see (notice?) what I'd consider to be "random" ads. The only one I have running is the one at the top of the page (in the area where the funding drive progress bar currently shows up). It used to appear only on all pages other than the front page, which was great; but something has changed and I can't seem to fix it. Nevertheless, perhaps because of its size, that one doesn't seem to attract as many bad ads. But maybe that's just my perception. It would be interesting to know how the targeting works. It would also be interesting to find an article that explains what each adblock item is and where it's placed - I've wasted a lot of trial and error time. (I know there's an article, I just haven't found it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HEY! thank you so much for the FTFY!

Very much appreciated!

Now fixed in case somebody else feels some strange urge to quote my original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.