8 Posts

Mice and Mystics» Forums » Reviews

Subject: I have finally played it. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Me and my Wife, who happens to be my gaming partner, settled down to our first game of Mice and Mystics and here are my thoughts...
1) People should get into the right mindset for this game and the experience wil be far more enjoyable. I have read that some people do not read the story at the beginning, which is fine but I couldn't do that being the type of game this is. I enjoyed reading the story and it sets the game up nicely.

2) The set-up of the game is easy and there aren't too many bits to lay across the table...ah yes, the bits. I love the components of this game, well sculpted miniatures, lovely artwork which 'feels' exactly as it should. My favourite artwork, though, is on the back of the character cards. I like the medieval feel.

3) I love the way that cheese powers everything. It's a fun mechanic unless the cheese wheel gets full, then it's not fun to see the hourglass move.

4) I like the fact that getting involved with the story and the characters is easy. My Wife played Collin and Maginos and I played Tilda and Nez. I didn't think we had time to help Miz Maggie but my Wife said 'we have to because it's the right thing to do'. Honour before winning, eh?

This is only a small review and maybe it doesn't cover what you want to know but I can honestly say that this game will be seeing the table plenty of times. We didn't even get to the courtyard, and we may have even played a few things wrong but we had a great time. Can children play it? Absolutely. Is it childish? Absolutely not! We sank ourselves into the game and let the warm waves of imagination and adventure wash over us. If I have one gripe and it's only a small one mind, that is the numbers on the dice are a little small. Thank you Plaid Hat Games for another winner. Most importantly, my Wife enjoyed it and that is the mark I always want to hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts. I wish I could find a copy of this - trying to trade for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Grosskarlbach
Rhineland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
Phirax's Magical Box of Hot
badge
Keats and Yeats are on your side, but you lose... because Wilde is on mine.
mb
Orangemoose wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts. I wish I could find a copy of this - trying to trade for one.

The availability (or lack thereof) of this is depressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

There is a ton at my local game store ..... like 20 plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of the gameplay in this one but the theme doesn't even remotely interest me. Maybe I'll pick one up someday in a trade for my kids or something.

Good review though! Thanks for posting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Gibson
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacobgarr wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

There is a ton at my local game store ..... like 20 plus.

Would the store be willing to ship? Would it be appropriate to PM the folks who are looking for this game with the store's info? I remember when I was looking for a copy of Gulo Gulo and someone on this site did just that. Made my day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know but here is the stores info - http://www.madnessgames.com/Madness.html cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure why that wouldn't be appropriate, however, this can't be gotten from plaid hat direct? (also, the store I frequent has multiple copies in stock too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.