Subject: Tableau Building and Other Card Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm just thinking about Christmas and, as always, when I have to think up some suggestions for what board games to get then my mind goes blank and so I thought it better to just ask rather than spend ages thinking of nothing.

I'm a huge fan of any games with cards in, I know that doesn't narrow things down a lot but anything with a heavy card play focus. Examples of things I've enjoyed include: Race for the Galaxy, Twilight Struggle, Dominion, 7 Wonders, Thunderstone, Gosu, Death Angel, The Resistance, Citadels, Libertalia, Last Will, Bang and I'm also a big poker fan. While I do like Lord of the Rings LCG and Call of Cthulhu LCG I'm generally not that big a fan of deck construction.

Basically I really enjoy anything with plenty of cards in, the more cards the better. Race for the Galaxy is my favourite game ever, loads of cards and tableau building yum yum.

Player numbers big or small is fine, I can usually find a way to work most player requirements, though anything 2 player would be a struggle due to me usually having a bigger group to work with so we might play 2 games of 4 or something rather than leave 2 people playing their own thing.

On top of this then I really enjoy highly social games, particularly those with hidden roles, diplomacy or negotiation e.g. BSG, Game of Thrones, Rex, City of Horror, The Resistance, Twilight Imperium, . I tend to enjoy these games in the context that I like playing them with friends rather than because of the mechanics involved in them.

Thanks for reading, anyone have any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to recommend looking at Innovation, but it plays best with 2 or 3.

What about something like Core Worlds or Glory to Rome?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Glory to Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
I was going to recommend looking at Innovation, but it plays best with 2 or 3.

What about something like Core Worlds or Glory to Rome?

I totally forgot to mention Innovation - I absolutely love it but I can't find anyone else that does.

Never herad of Core Worlds, already own Glory to Rome but never really got round to playing it because I love RftG too much

Not heard of Core Worlds... I shall have a look now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Putrino
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few;
-Fleet
-Seasons
-Libertalia
-Suburbia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueTegu wrote:

Seasons looks like my kind of thing, I already have Libertalia on my list

Thanks all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might find some ideas here:
Tableau-Builders: My favorite unrecognized mechanic, and the games that make it great

Or perhaps this, although it covers a broader space:
Games in which players are building their own _______

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike and Ascension might be up your alley since they're also dbg like DOm and Thunderstone.

For highly social, check out THe Resistance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Puzzle Strike and Ascension might be up your alley since they're also dbg like DOm and Thunderstone.

For highly social, check out THe Resistance

Tried Ascension, I remain unconvinced if I'm honest.

The Resistance is a staple of my group's play - we've played quite literally 100+ games of it, it regularly gets played at least 3 times a games night right at the end. I'm hoping to get a copy of The Resistance: Avalon version just because my cards for the original game are getting so worn! New roles will be good too though We've been playing it so long that we've meta-gamed to the end of the earth, people once started interpreting innocent remarks in the kitchen while getting drinks as reads behind what people were (we handed out roles then decided to get drinks once so there was an awkward break where we all knew what we were but hadn't started playing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love tableau building games.

Homesteaders is an excellent eurogame that is all auction and tableau building. That makes it sound really dry but it's not.

Rivals for Catan is ALL tableau building and does it amazingly. The only issue with the game is that it's a great 45 minute game but can sometimes go on too long (sometimes twice that). The various eras included with the game switch it up greatly. The expansion is about $10 and WELL worth it.

The two tableau/card games I need to look more into are London and Saint Petersburg.

For card games, you may want to look at Revolver 2: Last Stand at Malpaso. It has a poker game built in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
+1 for London, its excellent. Even though it has a board it is very much a card game. Plays well with 2,3, or 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you feel about co-op games? I see Death Angel, LotRLCG and BSG, so probably at least not averse? I ask because my recommendation is Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's a superhero-themed fixed-deck co-op card game. Think LotR minus the deck customization and streamlined a bit to go with the superhero theme. Each player picks a deck which represents a different hero, and the group picks a villain to fight against and an environment for variety and flavor (each of which have their own unique decks). There's loads of cards with different effects, some of which are one-shots and some of which remain in play to give you permanent effects or enable the use of new powers. True to its theme it's flashy and fun and highly variable from game-to-game. It does a great job of making you feel like you're super and the villain you're fighting is a serious bastard. The first time you're playing as the Batman analog and the giant nanomachine-fueled sentient killer robot factory you're fighting destroys all eight of the painstakingly collected gadgets in your toolbelt, you'll want to rip its deck in half. In a good way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I love tableau building games.

Homesteaders is an excellent eurogame that is all auction and tableau building. That makes it sound really dry but it's not.

Rivals for Catan is ALL tableau building and does it amazingly. The only issue with the game is that it's a great 45 minute game but can sometimes go on too long (sometimes twice that). The various eras included with the game switch it up greatly. The expansion is about $10 and WELL worth it.

The two tableau/card games I need to look more into are London and Saint Petersburg.

For card games, you may want to look at Revolver 2: Last Stand at Malpaso. It has a poker game built in!

I believe my family already own Homesteaders, I've just never looked into it! My family also own London and I even know it would be a game I'd enjoy but I think I'm avoiding it so I don't have to strategy geekout on it like I do with RftG.

Rivals of Catan and Revolver 2 are both 2-player games which, (surprisingly), is probably the number of players I struggle with the most as I either play with my family (3 of us total) or one of my two regular game groups where the group size is much larger and 2-player games become a bit anti-social. Thanks for the suggestions though

Cosmonaut Zero wrote:
How do you feel about co-op games? I see Death Angel, LotRLCG and BSG, so probably at least not averse? I ask because my recommendation is Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's a superhero-themed fixed-deck co-op card game. Think LotR minus the deck customization and streamlined a bit to go with the superhero theme. Each player picks a deck which represents a different hero, and the group picks a villain to fight against and an environment for variety and flavor (each of which have their own unique decks). There's loads of cards with different effects, some of which are one-shots and some of which remain in play to give you permanent effects or enable the use of new powers. True to its theme it's flashy and fun and highly variable from game-to-game. It does a great job of making you feel like you're super and the villain you're fighting is a serious bastard. The first time you're playing as the Batman analog and the giant nanomachine-fueled sentient killer robot factory you're fighting destroys all eight of the painstakingly collected gadgets in your toolbelt, you'll want to rip its deck in half. In a good way.

Sentinels of the Multiverse looks like something I'd really enjoy! Co-ops are generally very difficult to work with my larger group but I could still find a spot for it potentially. The big problem with co-ops is that I have members of my group who are very resistant to 'pure' co-ops and so I generally play Death Angel and LotR LCG as solo games - BSG gets played by my group because of the traitor hunting element.

Still, SotM looks interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did someone mentioned "Iliad" yet. If not... check out Iliad!!! 2 players and up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like The Resistance, have you tried Coup or Love Letter?

+1 for Glory to Rome. How about Innovation as well?
Bohnanza / Bohn to be Wild for negotiation.
There's also a card driven version of Battlestar Galactica (Express?) which might be worth a look?
If you like Bang, then how about Samurai Sword, which is the reimplementation of Bang with a new theme.
If you like fighting, then how about Yomi or Puzzle Strike from Sirlin Games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played The Manhattan Project for the first time the other night and really enjoyed it. It's a combination of worker placement and tableau-building that sounds like it would be in your wheelhouse.

Likewise, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization seems to fit your tastes. It's a longer, more complex game and it's great.

Eminent Domain is a fast-playing deckbuilder with a tableau you develop and Core Worlds is a card drafting, tableau-builder that also allows for multiple plays in a session. And, of course, Innovation, as has already been mentioned, just rocks.

Any of those would likely scratch your itch in one way or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Wong
Canada
Stouffville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
St. Petersburg would be a good fit but it's not as social as the other games you've mentioned but it's a game you should really give a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally under the usual BGG-user's radar, but definetly check out Illuminati: Deluxe Edition - which is also a pretty cheap game to pickup.

Each player is an illuminati group building up a power structure (aka a tableau) by taking over various groups with different powers/abilities. You can use your acquired groups to launch attacks on other players, trying to severe their power structures.

This game is huge on negotiation and with a good group of friends can be both funny, tense, and strategic. There are a lot of variants in the rulebook - including playing with your main Illuminatus group "hidden" so no one knows what goals you are shooting for, although they might be able to deduce this.

Great - if somewhat old-school - game that's still in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.