Subject: Just some simple words and an opinon! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MARIOS CHRISTAKIS
Greece
KASTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I see that there are many reviews (and good reviews) about Runewars, but I just want to write my opinion after only one game. I want to express my impresion after one session.

Quality
The game is one of the best (or maybe THE BEST after the SPACE HULK)because of its amazing product quality. We all know the quality of fantasy flight games but here I see it more elegant.I playied the first heavy edition (not the smaller new one).The miniatures has great size I think beside many complaints about it. I think that they work perfect.
The cards are great and their size (of each different size deck) is what your hand and eyes wants without "take" space from your table.The player sheets are thick card-board.

Gaming experience
My friend told me to read first the rules to avoid extra time on the game session.I read them once and after one fast explain of my friend we start to play (3 players game session).
You learn the game from the first year and then you are able to create your strategy. I was really impressed beacause of this, because in many games you are something like a "viewer" at your first games but here I finished realy close to win the game! And the other two persons are good gamers and knew better the game than me after 3 game sessions that they had.
Fantasy, armies, quests!GREAT!
BUT
I am one of the people that I should prefer more interaction between heroes and armies (something like war of the ring for example), I think that the runewars expansion changes this.
Even if the first battles come at 3-4 year I think that because of this create a more epic experience than hack and slash from the first round.I like that in this game and I enjoy the neutral units.

General thoughts
If you are an experienced gamer then you will be able to see that this game is a "frankestein" fantasy flight game. There is no "new" game mechanism here, just some older improvement mechanisms. I see a little starcraft (but with faster and better card-combat even if I enjoy the starcraft combat system because your can make add-ons), some runebound for the heroes and armie miniatures limit.
But the above is not something bad at all because the final product-game is AMAZING!
Of course after some more games maybe I will find some problems or maybe after some games I will feel exactly the same atmosphere without something to REALLY change in the game.I don't know.

Conclusion
I like it, on of the best thematic-fantasy-strategy games, if not the best then surely on of the best.It has its unique spot at my heart, I am one of Conan:the board game fans and I believe for example that conan is the best fast-strategy game for me (this is another talk), but at the same time I love starcraft and now I found that theres is "space" and for Runewars. After that I believe that maybe I shall not play War Of The Ring with the same passion as the first games.There are better games I think that work smoother.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jensen
United States
Perry
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice 'simple' review. Glad you enjoyed the game. War of the Rings is a great game but, compared to Runewars, it plays out very similarly each game. The modular game board is one of the thing I love about Runewars. There's a big decision on where to start and how to progress from where you do start. It isn't crippling but it definitely can change the way of the game.

Always glad to see more comments about Runewars.

Keep on gaming!

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARIOS CHRISTAKIS
Greece
KASTORIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Matt.
Yes, modular board is always a good thing for many games, here I can comment one more thing.At starcraft for example I like that you are never safe, because anyone can find a way to your planet but from the other hand, runewars is more like a "safe" kingdom that you have to approach to find the precious runes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.